Help.. My bunny ate this.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buncake

Reaction score
Okay so I give my bunny dried pieces of fruit and as she was eating one, this fell out ..
IMG_20180729_235112.jpg

It's a very small worm. She didn't swallow it but I'm worried that what she had eaten of the piece had others inside?.. Or that maybe the ones I've fed her before had some? What should I do?

This is just a food moth (sorry, don't know the right english name), nothing to worry about rabbitwise, if there was another in there it's just some extra, healthy protein.

Get rid of whatever food is infected with them, very fine fibers and small holes in paper or plastic packages are the first sign of an infestation - only way to controll it is to clean up thoroughly and keep every food in airtight containers - theyl'll breed in the dust that gathers between sofa pillows....

They aren't toxic, or harmful in any way, but a real nuisance, I mean, I was sipping my fruit tea when I felt something in my mouth -ICK!

This is just a food moth (sorry, don't know the right english name), nothing to worry about rabbitwise, if there was another in there it's just some extra, healthy protein.

Get rid of whatever food is infected with them, very fine fibers and small holes in paper or plastic packages are the first sign of an infestation - only way to controll it is to clean up thoroughly and keep every food in airtight containers - theyl'll breed in the dust that gathers between sofa pillows....

They aren't toxic, or harmful in any way, but a real nuisance, I mean, I was sipping my fruit tea when I felt something in my mouth -ICK!

Yikes... I'm glad it's nothing serious then. No, her food, cage and water bottle are all clean, I clean after her by the hour, she is in my bedroom with me after all, but that piece was in another container and I guess it got infested -although I didn't find any other worms there- but I still got rid of it just in case, my little baby is more precious than some fruit I can get anytime. Thank you for the comment though and sorry about your tea! > >

They aren't easy to spot because they are inside the food, and it's not your rabbits environment you should focus on (I never noticed that critters around my rabbits hutches) but on your kitchen and food.

Although I'm quite arachnophobic I actually let those filigrane spiders that pop up in every corner live to reduce that menace, that and mosquitoes. Well, you know, being a bachelor there's little incentive to keep my surroundings tidy, and living with a rabbit doesn't help much either...

They aren't easy to spot because they are inside the food, and it's not your rabbits environment you should focus on (I never noticed that critters around my rabbits hutches) but on your kitchen and food.

Although I'm quite arachnophobic I actually let those filigrane spiders that pop up in every corner live to reduce that menace, that and mosquitoes. Well, you know, being a bachelor there's little incentive to keep my surroundings tidy, and living with a rabbit doesn't help much either...

Ah, well, I live with my parents and the kitchen is downstairs, the dried pieces of fruits are stored upstairs with me in my room, I keep them in my Bunny drawer for easier access. Our food is clean, my bunny doesn't roam downstairs, I only let her out on our beds and couches, rarely on the floor, she's quite small and the house isn't bunny-proofed so .. You have very good knowledge about these sorts of things though, it's very interesting!

Latest posts

Back