Help me solve a disagreement

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SApple

Reaction score
I volunteer at my local animal shelter and am trying to encourage them to provide a more stimulating environment for the small animals. I have been making small hay boxes using Kleenex boxed, cereal boxes, etc and bringing them in. There is another volunteer who feels these kinds of boxes are bad due to chemicals in the ink used to print on the boxes.

I've been using these sorts of boxes for years with various small animals and had no problems. Obviously using hay racks, especially for the bunnies would be best, but right now they are getting no hay unless I bring it in.

What do you guys think? Are these kind of boxes ok?

I don't think they are really a problem for most rabbits. If they were eating like a Kleenex box a day, then it might be an issue, but some chewing should be fine.

Maybe you could reach a compromise by using paper bags, paper towel tubes and other cardboard that is not printed. It would still provide stimulation for the rabbits, but maybe not be as bad. Boxes used for delivery usually have minimal printing. You could ask local stores if they have any they could donate, the shelter might even have some if they get deliveries of things.

Yes, you can use small cardboard boxes & not use any tape at all if you interleave the bottom flaps & also the top ones, then cut a hole for the hay. You can also make boxes that way for the rabbit to hide in.

I think nowadays the inks are relatively benign, though I'd avoid things that have plastic coatings, like frozen food boxes.

:yeahthat:

I've used kleenex boxes too, but my buns like toilet paper tubes best.

boxes with print are better than nothing. but if you can find plain cardboard, it`s the best way to go! mine seems to like it better anyhow :p

I save most every box we have; mac and cheese boxes, tissue boxes, Triscuit boxes, cereal boxes....I use them for my mouse, my 2 rats and all three rabbits and have never had any problems. I do change them weekly or when they're especially mangled.

I use cereal, pasta, cracker, 12-pack boxes, paper towel & toilet paper rolls. I tear off the ends as it could contain dried glue. The boxes that have plastic on the front like some of the pasta boxes get tossed. When I get a new box, I toss an old box. That keeps them fresher & gives a new cost-friendly toy.

As a compromise we're now using paper bags. I got a local grocery to donate a bunch and they said I could come back and get more anytime. Unfortunately the cages aren't big enough for even small packing boxes, but with the bags and tp tubes they at least have something to do.

The shelter director found out what we were doing and ordered hay with instructions to let her know when we needed more. Hopefully we can start making a difference in how the shelter cares for small animals.

Back