Help Me Pick My Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonangel

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a rabbit breed to add to my rabbity and am torn between the Rhinelander, Satin, Mini Satin, and Tan. Can someone help me take at least two of these breeds off the list? I would love to hear the good the bad and the ugly of each breed if possible! I might also try show jumping, but I'm not sure..

Hi everyone, I have a quick question about show jumping rabbits. I want a new rabbit breed and I have become extremely interested in show jumping. There is a contest every year near me and I've only been there once and thought it looked absolutely fun!
What breeds are the most popular for show jumping? Or what size of rabbit should I be looking at? Any suggestions?

I believe any rabbit can become a jumper. More popular breeds are Dutch, dwarfs, Hollands, and running breeds such as tans and spots. Also Britannia petites can be awesome jumpers.

Kate has angoras that jump also :)

Of course mixed breeds are not to be excluded. Really any rabbit that has a higher level of energy can jump

Like said above, any bunny can be taught to hop, but you want to go for the super energetic ones since they, obviously, have the energy for it! Smaller ones are generally better and won't be as likely to develop joint problems later in life.

My hoppers have been Mini Lop, Holland Lop, Dutch, Belgian Hare x Tan and other mixes. All of them have been great.

Netherland Dwarfs seem to be pretty consistently good too!

English Lops would have issues with their ears and the giant breeds can have joint problems, so they are best to not do jumping or only do short jumps.
Other than that, pretty much any breed can do hopping. Some individuals do better than others and some just won't do it. Higher energy rabbits tend to do quite well, but also need to have some focus problems, so may need a bit more work to stay on track.

I would suggest a rabbit around 3-6 pounds. They tend to be a good weight to get over some of the higher jumps, but not be too heavy, they also have less weight to run around with, so tend to be the faster rabbits. Some that are bigger or smaller can be good too, but that is the range I like.

My Tans do fairly well, but Tesla can be a pain to handle. Amelia, a lionhead, does pretty well too, even if she is not too high energy at home. My new English Angora, Brandwine, is also doing very well considering she has only been at it for a few months, she took to it really easily too.

I don't know much about the Rhinelander except it's a running breed and pretty big, getting up to 9-10 lbs. Tans are also a running breed but not as big, getting to about 4 lbs. The Tan is active and good in rabbit hopping/agility. I can't help with the other two, except there's a slang term for mini Satins among breeders - they're referred to as 'mini-satans' because of their personality.

Latest posts

Back