Help me decorate the run!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloe0500

Reaction score
Hi guys!!
So I have this run (picture inserted) for my single (soon to be pair) continental giant. Where the hutch is on the picture I have a wooden dog kennel for shelter for him and on the floor I have his toys, apple sticks, wooden balls, bell balls, a tunnel, wooden chews, a wicker basket etc.
The issue is, his run looks totally bare! It is 10 foot by 7 or 8 foot and 7 foot tall and it is on concrete slabs.
It looks so boring but I can't think of anything to do to it because he doesn't bother with toys at all so it would be pointless buying even more toys when he doesn't play with the ones he has. I literally cannot think of anything I can do to make it more exciting for him. I thought of adding a large branch for him to chew on but he hasn't touched his apple sticks and he doesn't really eat hay unless I don't give him his morning pellets.
Please throw some suggestions at me. Photos would also be fantastic!!
Tia x

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181207-000512.png
    Screenshot_20181207-000512.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 9
Plant a willow, or drill holes in a log or similar and put fresh willow branches there. It works as a treat (I have never met a bunny not eating fresh willow, and it's fibers and stuff so not too bad if they eat it instead of some of the hay as long as they're adjusted to fresh foods).
I've also found that obstacles that block vision, such like shrubs, bushes etc, is helpful to keep the peace in a group of rabbits. It allows them to get out of each others faces if they would want to. So placing something in the middle to shield them from seeing all the pen at once can be a generally good idea.
Tunnels, man-made hills etc.. if this were mine I would probably try to make it look like a mini-piece of nature. For example I once made hollow rocks that served both as sitting places and burrows/warrens. I made them by padding up random stuff in plastic bags, buckets etc etc, stuff I knew I could flex a bit and remove later on from the finished "rock". I made one side flat where I left it open - that way I could reach in and clean and reach by moving my "rock" a little (it got heavy!). Then I placed a sheet, then hardware cloth and finally I covered it with concrete and let it dry. I left bunny sized openings. My rabbits loved it.

Plant a willow, or drill holes in a log or similar and put fresh willow branches there. It works as a treat (I have never met a bunny not eating fresh willow, and it's fibers and stuff so not too bad if they eat it instead of some of the hay as long as they're adjusted to fresh foods).
I've also found that obstacles that block vision, such like shrubs, bushes etc, is helpful to keep the peace in a group of rabbits. It allows them to get out of each others faces if they would want to. So placing something in the middle to shield them from seeing all the pen at once can be a generally good idea.
Tunnels, man-made hills etc.. if this were mine I would probably try to make it look like a mini-piece of nature. For example I once made hollow rocks that served both as sitting places and burrows/warrens. I made them by padding up random stuff in plastic bags, buckets etc etc, stuff I knew I could flex a bit and remove later on from the finished "rock". I made one side flat where I left it open - that way I could reach in and clean and reach by moving my "rock" a little (it got heavy!). Then I placed a sheet, then hardware cloth and finally I covered it with concrete and let it dry. I left bunny sized openings. My rabbits loved it.
Oh my goodness the man made hill! I completely forgot how good those look! I might give your rock idea a go too and see what I can manage with that. I love the idea of a natural looking area! Thanks so much!!!

Back