help making cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosey

Reaction score
Man am i tired and frustrated. Nothing is every supposed to go as planned right?

So, I started working on the cage and I got one shelf but the dowelsare too thick to go cross wise SO I'm going to have to get more dowelsand cut down the one that's too long.

I wonder if the linoleum is too slippery for him. Do they get used to the feel or what else can i put?

I couldnt find any cloroplast, where do you find that? I went to home depot.

Will he chew the dowels? Is it bad? Is is something I need to just replace or take out? What else could I use?

Sorry I have a lot of questions!

From my understanding, as long as the dowels are untreated woods - they should be fine. Will they get chewed on? Probably...

For chloroplast...check with the companies that make signs - or maybereal estate companies to see if they have old signs (or sign-makingcompanies). I'm sure others will have ideas for you too.

My does in the rabbitry have ceramic tile flooring and they are fine with it..

I'm sure others will answer your questions better tomorrow!

Peg

P.S. Don't forget to post a photo of the cage in the "photophiles" section where we have a thread on NIC cages. You can find ithere:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

Rosey wrote:
Man am i tired and frustrated. Nothing is every supposed to go as planned right?

So, I started working on the cage and I got one shelf but the dowelsare too thick to go cross wise SO I'm going to have to get more dowelsand cut down the one that's too long.

I wonder if the linoleum is too slippery for him. Do they get used to the feel or what else can i put?

I couldnt find any cloroplast, where do you find that? I went to home depot.

Will he chew the dowels? Is it bad? Is is something I need to just replace or take out? What else could I use?

Sorry I have a lot of questions!

Yeah he already started chewing on them while Iwas trying to get them in there. I don't mind replacing them I justwant to make sure it's ok for him to naw on them.

I plan to post a picture when it's all nicely done.

I am so confused about some things. I ask a question and then have a million more.

Thank you ! :)

I think it depends on the rabbits for theflooring. My mini rex will not walk on the linoleum floors inmy house. With advice from people on this site I now havelittle rugs in a path across my kitchen so he can hop to each of themto come check out what I am getting in the fridge!:D I feltso bad for him as he would pace back and forth at the edge of thecarpet waiting for his veggies. He now has his own littleroad to the fridge. Im making a NIC cage and just got aremnant of some outdoor carpet so it is a bit more durable.It will be harder to clean but at least he will walk on it!!!

Well then....ask away!

:D

I'm about to head to bed - but I'm sure more folks will be signing on and be able to help you.

I've never made a NIC cage....although I love them.

Peg

Rosey wrote:
Yeah he already startedchewing on them while I was trying to get them in there. I don't mindreplacing them I just want to make sure it's ok for him to naw on them.

I plan to post a picture when it's all nicely done.

I am so confused about some things. I ask a question and then have a million more.

Thank you ! :)

ok i was reading somewhere else about rugs..that would work too. I mean the linoleum if anything else will be good for cleaning.

Can I use bathmats for the bottom of the cage?

ps: tinysmom: lol thanks! I actually didn't build a nic cage cause icouldn't find any but i have this huge dog crate for him 42x28x31. it'sHUGE..lol

You could make it with linoleum and see how theylike it and if you need to put some rugs over top. They lovethe straw rugs and that would give something to chew ontoo.

I have a question too..... I have a bullitan board, would it be bad ifmy bun chewed any maybe ate some of it. He loves to dig on itbecause the surface is kind of soft and I think he would really like itif it was the floor of his cage. It would be easier to cleanthan carpet. Im not sure what the surface is.... Corkmaybe????

he hasn't tried to get up there yet. We shallsee. I think i will go for the carpet and try to find some with noplastic on the bottom.

I have three of those in the rabbitry.My daughter took one and made a shelf in it for a second level and therabbits LOVE LOVE LOVE it...

We keep talking about doing it with the other two cages too...I think they would be in 7th heaven if we would.

Your rabbits will love that too.

Peg

Rosey wrote:
ps: tinysmom: lol thanks! Iactually didn't build a nic cage cause i couldn't find any but i havethis huge dog crate for him 42x28x31. it's HUGE..lol

i think he will too. I made a second level. I'mgoing to get better dowels tomorrow (i want to get this done as quicklyas i can for him) and then a 3rd level too. I just need the dowels forthat. I have it all made up already and I will definately post pictureswhen I am done.

As far as flooring, I just get pegboard fromHome Depot (or the likes), which is REALLY inexpensive, and they cut itfor free right there in the store!

It's made of compressed wood, so it's okay for them to nibble on. :)

I wouldn't recommend linoleum tile, as my girls have been known to chewon it, and scare the bejeezers out of me. :shock: Iwould just go either straight pegboard, or straight coroplast (whichyou can find at sign shops...check your yellow pages...I've heard thatsometimes they have scrap pieces that would be the right size thatthey'll sell you for CHEAP).

Hope all that helps! :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

Edited to add: pegboard is also REALLY easy to zip tie to NIC flooring. :)

I wouldn't recommend any sort of carpet-type flooring. Theycould ingest some of the fibers, which would be not so hot for theirhealth. :(

:threadhijacked: (But only for a minute) I havebeen wondering about pegboard. Is it easy to clean? (I had morequestions, but you crafty guys already answered them before I couldask! ^.^)

Now, back to Rosie with the weather! :thanks:

Hehe!!!

Well, since it's wood, it absorbs liquid, so it's not like you canspray it and wipe it down...but I'm honestly not too worried aboutit. The only liquid that really gets on it is a few dripsfrom their water bottles.

BUT...I have sprayed a couple spots with vinegar, and it seems to have helped. :)

Another good thing to note: it's really cheap, so not hard to replaceif it gets really grimy. We've had Maisie's for about a yearnow, and no need for replacement AT ALL. :)

Weetwoo_89 wrote:
:threadhijacked: (Butonly for a minute) I have been wondering about pegboard. Is it easy toclean? (I had more questions, but you crafty guys already answered thembefore I could ask! ^.^)

Now, back to Rosie with the weather! :thanks:

Rosie, the only thing I would be worried aboutthe peg board is that they get a nail caught in the hole. Iread on here (I think) that someone's bunny had a nail ripped outbecause of the peg board.

Susan:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back