HELP! Lost Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshAndShadow

Reaction score
My two male rabbits, Shadow and Ash are missing from their cage. They are two tightly bonded brothers and have been since birth. Where one goes, the other follows. Anyway, they live in a hutch outside with a fence attached to it so they can run around in the grass when I am outside with them. Last night however, I had a family emergency and forgot to lock them back in their hutch. This morning I went to give them their breakfast and both were gone, no where to be seen. I’m afraid they have escaped or worse had been taken by a preditor. There were no signs of a struggle. Their may have been one possible way out of the fence, but they have never figured out how to do it before so I didn’t think it was an issue. I looked for a couple hours this morning before I had to work, but had no luck. We live on a farm with and 8 acre woods that is impossible to go through. If they are alive, I believe they would be in there. Any suggestions on how to capture them? A live trap maybe? Or is it hopeless?

Let me clarify some details. Is there a rabbit run/enclosure that is attached to the hutch? Is a whole thing on the grass? Do you see where they dug under the enclosure to escape? If it was a predator, would it be possible to take your bunnies out of enclosure, do you see any indication that this is what happened (however, I think that a predator would take just one of them, not both...) ? Is there a possibility that a human stole your bunnies?
Let's suppose that they escaped. I would just go around looking, and maybe have some of their favorite food with you. Some traps would be probably nice (with the food in there, but again, suppose one of them entered and the traps closed after him, then another one won't have a chance to get in)
I am very sorry that this happened. Once a person i know had somebody's loose dogs attack the rabbit hutch while she wasn't home. One bunny was killed and another escaped. She lives on a farm that is also surrounded by woods. She was able to retrieve the second bunny after some search.
Keep in mind that they are active and hungry at dusk and dawn... hope they are found!

Let me clarify some details. Is there a rabbit run/enclosure that is attached to the hutch? Is a whole thing on the grass? Do you see where they dug under the enclosure to escape? If it was a predator, would it be possible to take your bunnies out of enclosure, do you see any indication that this is what happened (however, I think that a predator would take just one of them, not both...) ? Is there a possibility that a human stole your bunnies?
Let's suppose that they escaped. I would just go around looking, and maybe have some of their favorite food with you. Some traps would be probably nice (with the food in there, but again, suppose one of them entered and the traps closed after him, then another one won't have a chance to get in)
I am very sorry that this happened. Once a person i know had somebody's loose dogs attack the rabbit hutch while she wasn't home. One bunny was killed and another escaped. She lives on a farm that is also surrounded by woods. She was able to retrieve the second bunny after some search.
Keep in mind that they are active and hungry at dusk and dawn... hope they are found!
Yes, there is a fence attached to the hutch with a door that either keeps them in the hutch or let’s them go in and out as they please. I usually close this door at night to prevent any issues. But with the family emergency last night, it slipped my mind to close it. I checked the fence for holes and looked for places where they may have dug out, I didn’t find anything. They fence is about 4 feet high. A predator may have been able to jump it but both were gone not just 1. I looked for signs of struggle, but found none. I have left out their favorite yogurt treats out in hope they may come back to their hutch. I don’t think anyone would have taken them( they don’t much like people they don’t already know, so I think it would make it hard for them to even take them). However, there is a place behind the door where they may have been able to squeeze through the fence and it looked like the grass was laying down, like something walked over it. I will set up a live trap and see if they might go in. If one gets caught in it I’m sure the other will stay close, the rarely go anywhere without each other.

I think that the best you can do is personally walk around over and over again, maybe yelling their names if they know your voice. What kind of wild animals live around? If there is an issue with a predator while they are on the run, they may get separated.
My buns have escaped a few times over the course of 6 years but I live in the city. Thankfully, every time I was able to locate them because they stayed rather close to our house and were enjoying a new hideout. A few times a clue from a neighbor helped me as well. Don't give up hope! praying for safe return!

I t
I think that the best you can do is personally walk around over and over again, maybe yelling their names if they know your voice. What kind of wild animals live around? If there is an issue with a predator while they are on the run, they may get separated.
My buns have escaped a few times over the course of 6 years but I live in the city. Thankfully, every time I was able to locate them because they stayed rather close to our house and were enjoying a new hideout. A few times a clue from a neighbor helped me as well. Don't give up hope! praying for safe return!
i think the biggest threats are fox and cats,

I have learned from the rabbit groups I am in that when bunnies escape they are usually very close by, but hiding. Is there anywhere near their hutch they could've crawled under? Have you tried leaving their fav treats out? Also is there a near by rabbit rescue near you, they are the best at catching bunnies or they may have some good advice for you at least, maybe even let you borrow their live traps etc. I am so sorry, you must be devastated. Please keep us updated! Oh on another note... if it was a predator I would think you would've seen fur in places. So please stay positive♥

My heart and prayers go out to you. One of our girls disappeared not too long ago and I searched day and night, alerting neighbors and calling out. Just when I was bracing myself for having to accept the worst 4 days later, here she comes. She was missing patches of fur and had some angry looking scratches over her eyes. Except for the last bit of swelling on her left eye she's fine now and we've thoroughly blocked any way we think she may have gotten out although we're still befuddled. Dunno that it helps but I empathize with your hurting.....

UPDATE: I left a live trap out over night with their favorite treats in it. Went to look this morning and I ended up catching a raccoon :(. Still no sign of my buns I left their hutch open and filled up the water, pellets, and hay in case they do come back to the hutch in search of food. I set the live trap back up with more treats and hope they will show up tonight. I called the local vet in case anyone would happen to drop them off there. Sadly I think we are too far from town for that to happen(we live on an 11 acre farm a couple miles from town). I’ve let all the surrounding neighbors know I am missing them. I don’t know what else I could possibly do. I’m just so worried for my buns as there are lots of predators around.

I am very sorry to hear that they haven't been found . What is your location? (just curious). How long have they been gone? I would still keep walking around looking for them... especially at dusk and dawn. Prayers for safe return!

I am very sorry to hear that they haven't been found . What is your location? (just curious). How long have they been gone? I would still keep walking around looking for them... especially at dusk and dawn. Prayers for safe return!
I live in central Minnesota just south west of the twin cities. They were still in their hutch Sunday night and when I went to feed them Monday morning they were gone. I’m still looking every night and morning, along with the live trap.

UPDATE: I will probably be posting daily updates from now on. Still no buns today. any tips on how to catch bunnies in live traps. What to bait it with that would attract only buns and not other critters. (I used treats but ended up catching a coon). As much as it kills me to ask...but after how long should I call it quits on the search? :(

You should go buy a cheap Trail Camera or two. This was you can see if they are really around or not. I think they sell them for around $30 to $40. You can always keep the receipt and return it.

You should go buy a cheap Trail Camera or two. This was you can see if they are really around or not. I think they sell them for around $30 to $40. You can always keep the receipt and return it.
Oh! I never though if that! Thanks for the idea. I have a couple already I’ll put a bunch up!

I'm in maple Grove, if u want any help even just walking around let me know. Good luck either way!

Also Idk if this helps but I seem to recall and have observed.. They prefer tunnels with more than one exit. Aka they probably won't hide down dark dead ends but a pretty much sealed deck or low enough to the ground to keep some cats, most dogs and coyotes out would be a an ideal place. Back yard at my parents place a family of rabbits thrives undertheor deck despite coyote walking through almost daily.

Of course this is only possible since cosmos (black cat) passed last year after 16.5 years of it being his domain... But I digress

Last edited:
I'm in maple Grove, if u want any help even just walking around let me know. Good luck either way!

Also Idk if this helps but I seem to recall and have observed.. They prefer tunnels with more than one exit. Aka they probably won't hide down dark dead ends but a pretty much sealed deck or low enough to the ground to keep some cats, most dogs and coyotes out would be a an ideal place. Back yard at my parents place a family of rabbits thrives undertheor deck despite coyote walking through almost daily.

Of course this is only possible since cosmos (black cat) passed last year after 16.5 years of it being his domain... But I digress
Thank you for the offer! I will keep your offer in mind if they don’t show up soon. There are so many places they could be as we live on a farm with lots of old building and a large woods.

Not to sound weird... lol... but what I would do is like what they do for missing people. Map out your area on paper.....search small section thoroughly then move to next section. They are prob under something...look for poop if u can even see it..but like dig your fingers around for any poopies....fur... use a flashlight and bring bananas! Has any of thier food in the hutch been touched? Did u catch anythin on the cameras yet? I wish I lived near u U would come help you. I would take anyones offer to help too, esp over the weekend see if u can get a bunch of friends to help ♥ Dont give up!! My heart feels for you, I would be completely devastated :( Hugssss ♥

Back