Help Identifying Eye Problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revverress

Reaction score
Long story shot, I convinced my neighbors to allow me to bring their rabbit into my high school level veterinary science class last week. She had a bad case of ear mites which we treated in class, plus some red blockage looking things on her eyes. My teacher, an LVT, suggested that maybe they were tumors or something comparable to cherry eye in dogs, but she hasn't had much experience with rabbits.

The photos are somewhat graphic, so I've included them in links:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Anyone know what those red things are? You can see her actual eye behind them. The rabbit is 8 years old and the owners do not plan on taking her to a vet, so I'm asking this out of curiosity only.

Thanks!

Flick's right. This is similar to Cherry Eye in dogs. An antibiotic eye drop or ointment would be good, and a systemic one might be good too. I would avoid drops with steroids in them. The bunny is really suffering so something really should be done for him, I think. :(

Thank you so much Flick for the link; I'll definitely have to show that to my teacher since she was curious too as to what exactly was wrong with the bunny.

While I definitely agree that the rabbit needs medical attention, the ear mites and eye problem were only some of the many health issues that we saw in her. I gave the owners a handful of supplies to help keep her more comfortable in her old age (a much needed resting board and a bag of hay were among the things I gave them), and at this point, that's all I can really do since they won't see a vet. I haven't heard back from the owners since returning the rabbit, and I can only hope they're using the supplies I gave them and keeping up with her Ivermectin treatment. In my honest opinion, and in the opinion of my LVT teacher and several of the students who worked with her that day, euthanasia would be the most humane option at this point, but the owners will not consider it. It seems a little silly to me to pester them to turn her in to a rescue, where she would most certainly be put down, when the owners flat out do not want to surrender her. I also am unable to take in any rescuse at this time.

Thanks everyone for your help and input. :)

TBH, this might constitute neglect or cruelty. I know it's hard to bring that up to someone, but it is something to think about. :(

tonyshuman wrote:
TBH, this might constitute neglect or cruelty. I know it's hard to bring that up to someone, but it is something to think about. :(
yeh.. it is difficult to imagine allowing a rabbit to go on in that condition without gettingtreatment by a vet :?

Back