Help! I think Dimi's starting stasis again..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napagirl

Reaction score
She was acting way too calm and agreeable last night, but did eat her pumpkin and some hay... not her cilantro/kale tho, which was a big red flag. She went into full blown stasis last year at this same time, and had emergency vet care that saved her. I still have the meds in the fridge. We've been taking turns up with her until the vet opens in a few hours. She's hopping around and feisty if you try to pick her up, which is good and normal, but no poops since ~10pm (it's 5am here), and no eating. I gave her a dose of the pain med metacam last nite, and a dose of simethecone baby gas drops. We've also been doing tummy massages, and there is gurgling. I do have the motility drops that she was given last year, but there is no expiration date on them. I was afraid to give that to her if it was expired! Does anyone know how long that metoclopramide lasts? It would be ~1yr old now, kept in fridge. Should I give it to her or wait for vet? Thx!

I've noticed that Bandit does far fewer poops, if any at all overnight. If I change the litter tray late at night before I go to bed, when I feed him the next morning there might be nothing, or only a couple of poops in it. I think it's because he just doesn't eat much at night, plus night time is when they tend to produce cecal poops anyway which they consume so you don't see.

I think you'll be ok holding off on the motility meds until a few more hours, if you have a regular breakfast food, offer that at the usual time and see what happens after :)

Thank you for the response. Vet opens in 1/2 hr. Plan to just show up there. Good news tho- she has pooped (~20 smaller than normal poops), and is eating her hay. I still want to get those motility drugs since poops are too small. THis happened same time last year- May seems to be a big molting time for her. We brush her all the time with the Furminator, regular brushes, etc, but the molting just goes on and on....

Don't worry about the motility drops. As long as you stored them properly and didn't contaminate it, it has probably just lost some strength if anything. Most drugs don't "spoil" in ~12 months, they just may lose some potency.

Be sure to let her run around since exercise always assists gut motility.

Good Luck!

HI all,

Just wanted to post an update. Dimi is fine. I think she turned the corner after my dear husband stayed up with her, syringing water and doing tummy vibrations (he's really good at this). By morning she was eating hay and cilantro, but poops were tiny. The gassy sounds were gone. I took her in later that day, and got new motility meds. She also got some Sub Q, since she is not a big water drinker- but she did not appear dehydrated. The vet thought a bit of sub q's would "push it through". She did seem to have more spunk that evening. She is molting big time, and we did a 3 person assisted brush out using the Furminator and two other types of brushes. All of us had masks on and glasses. I cannot believe the amount of hair that comes out of this rabbit!!
Anyhoo, I found out from the vet that Reglan, the motility drug, doesn't last very long. The one I have now expires in September. She said the one from last May wouldn't have hurt Dimi, but it probably had no effectiveness left in it. Also, it is light sensitive and needs to be in an amber (pill) container. I didn't know that before.

So all is well, I am doing the Reglan once a day now. Poops are normal, but I was told to use my judgement, and will continue for a while longer. And- it is such a struggle to dose her- she HATES her meds!

Back