Help! I need to find shade!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starlight Rabbitry

Reaction score
I copied this from my reply in the cooling your rabbit topic because I wasn't getting a reply and I really need advice. Thanks.

I need ideas on how to keep my rabbits cool. Right now theyare doing fine but I am running myself ragged worrying aboutthem. Here is my problem. We had to have the onlytree in our backyard cut down this year because it died. Nowmy rabbits have no shade at all. I don't want to bring themin anymore everytime it gets too hot. My hutches are in a rowagainst a stockade fence. What I was thinking I could do isto get some mosquito netting and staple on end to the fence and hang itover the hutches and attach it to the other side by poles (like atent). Would this work? Do you think that thiswould keep them cool just like being under a tree? Yes I dogive frozen water bottles but I work all day so they are melted by thetime I get back from work. Any suggestions would beappreciated!!! :)

Can you afford an ez-up tent? They run about $200 check out this link...

http://www.hutshop.com/10capaevinon.html

Also, do you have any surplus stores in your area? Thosearmy-looking mesh tarps are GREAT!! They are mostly used inthe middle east to shade and cover our troops' tents, mess halls,showers, etc... They can be purchased in a much smallerscale, perhaps that would be cheaper than a tent.

I use mosquito netting on my bunnies run in the back. Itworks ok for shade, but when it gets later in the day, I like to coverthe run with a towel over the netting. Where are youagain? What are the highs?

I live in Northern CT and right now the highsare in the upper 80's with very muggy conditions. I looked upshade netting and found some good sites but it is veryexpensive. I don't care about money, I can afford it but Iwant to make sure it is going to work and not make things worse beforeI try it. I can't get an e-z up tent because it is my parentshouse and they don't want it. Plus, I think that I would needa few of them. Lined up along the fence, the length I wouldneed to cover is 40 feet.ThanksKricket,for your suggestion on theARMY-looking mesh, I am going to look into it.

What about a plain blue tent tarp?They're ugly, but they would work. They already havereinforced holes on the corners, so you just need the poles.

Won't it get too hot under there, I mean thetarp is a good idea but I need something that would allow free airflow. GRRRR I am not liking summer! At least duringthe winter I don't have to stress so much...easier to keep themwarm! lol

You could put the tarp above them at aslant. Work with the sun directions so they will always haveshade. Leave some space between the tarp and the cages,too. My inlaws have used them in a pinch for shade at summerbarbecues. You know, when twice as many people show up thanwere invited? It tends to happen when you raisebuffalo. :D The tarps are a cheap solution though,and sometimes rip.

Maybe you could find a canopy tent at a garage sale? How many cages/ how much space are you working with?

There is 12 cages out there in a row andaltogether it is about 40 feet long. I am looking for shadenetting but no one around here has any. I am reluctant to buyonline cause its soooo expensive. Thankseveryone!!! Keep the ideas coming.

Are there any flower growers in thearea? If there are, maybe you can call/stop by there and seeif they can help you out, maybe they know where you can get someshadecloth or they have some that they do not need anymore?It might be worth a try... Good luck!

Latest posts

Back