Help i just bought a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about the saw shavings, but itsounds like your rabbit has a viral infection if she is sneezing alot. I just had to take my rabbit to the vet because ofthat. He is taking antibiotics twice a day for ten days for"Snuffles." Better take her to the vet. It can turndeadly.

It's not normal for the bunny to be sneezing "alot". I would suggest a visit to your local rabbit savy vetto find out what is causing the sneezing. Certain viralinfections can be very bad for your new companion.

Regarding the shavings, what kind are you using in the cage with yourbun?If the shavings you are using have a highsawdust content, that may be causing the sneezing. The bunnyshouldn't have access to pine or cedar shavings. Cedar isvery bad for rabbits.

Are you giving your rabbit hay? They need hay for theirdigestion as well as to help keep their teeth trimmed. And itfulfills their need to chew.

littlelopbunny wrote:
Hi I just bought a rabbit at the weekend and she seams tosneeze a lot and caught her eating saw savings tonight, is the normaldo you know?
Welcome to the forum!!

Is there any discharge when the bunnie sneezes? If so is it clear? Youmay want to make a visit to the vet to have her checked out and have aculture taken.

BG bring up a good point about what kind of shavings you use. Cedar isa definate no-no. There is a lot of controversy about using Pine. I usekiln dried Aspen shavings in my drop pans, but I use Woody Pet forlitter.

A couple of my bunnies sneeze if anything is dusty. Dusty hay, dusty pellets, and dusty shaving all cause them to sneeze.

~Jim

I would take her to the vet. Better safe then sorry. Please keep us posted on how she does!

No discharge that we can see i had her at thevet on thursday night before the sneezing became every hour and shegave her a chevck over and said everything was fine so hopefully willjust be dust will try and find another place to keep her hay andshavings , i am not sure which kind of shavings they are just a packeti got from the pet shop

Are the shavings a reddish color, if so they areceadar and sheold be removed immidiatly. Pine should be ok,and a lot of the members here use woody pet, of a generic woodypet. I use it for my horse and I love it. All mybuns have hutches, so i dont need any litter type stuff. Itsyour bun getting hay.

littlelopbunny wrote:
No discharge that we can see i had her at the vet onthursday night before the sneezing became every hour and she gave her achevck over and said everything was fine so hopefully will just be dustwill try and find another place to keep her hay and shavings , i am notsure which kind of shavings they are just a packet i got from the petshop

Keep a close eye on her and check for discharge every time she sneezes.

As for the dust...I just wanted to clarify a bit. It's the dustfrom the hay, pellets, and shaving that makes minesneeze.

I sift my pellets now. I also try to buy the freshest hay possible and I shake it out before giving it to the buns.

The aspen shavings I buy are actual "shavings" and are larger that thesawdust bedding that is also available. There's not much dust and I usevery little so it isn't a problem.

Make sure you're not using cedar shavings. They have toxic aromaticoils in them that can cause respiratory problems. If you're not surewhat kind you have, throw them out andreplace themwitha suitable bedding that will be safe for your bunnie.

~Jim

Hi

Thanks for your help i had to replace the dirty saw shavings this pmand as soon as i put her back in the chage she started sneezing so ithink you are right about the dust i went to local pet shop and theydidnt have any dust extracted savings so will buy some tonight off theinternet again thanks for the help.

Tracey

Latest posts

Back