Help!!! I have 7 baby bunnies not sure if they are getting fed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks bluegiants, and i had to move the babies into the box, she had them in the cage just in the middle well when i woke up and saw them that is where they were. Also the section where she carried all the cotton is very small and is only big enough for her, it is a small addition that was made to the cage that is maybe 12x7 and she just relaxes in it most of the time.

As of now i have the babies in the cage in the box and they are on the opposite side of the cage from her little room she made. I will just leave them in their box for now and i also had to hold her to feed them, but i will take them out tonight and put them back in when i wake up and see if she feeds them.

I think you're definitely suffering from first time Mom's jitters. You'll learn the little ones are tougher than you'd think. I've seen my babies get stepped on by mom and they are just fine. They're pretty strong, even if they don't look it.

It is completely normal for her to ignore the babies unless she's feeding them. In fact, I only have one doe that doesn't ignore her babies during the day. She, however, is very much not the norm.

Do you know that mom wasn't feeding them? Or did you just decide "better safe than sorry" in trying to force her to feed them? I'd hate to see you stress her out if she's a new mom. It's much better to just let her do her job. With new moms I assume they're doing their job unless I see evidence otherwise.

Did she pull any hair for the nest, or is it all man-made materials? You mentioned a towel on the bottom. Please be careful to watch your bunny with the towel. Some bunnies will do fine with towels while others will try to eat them. I know a woman whose bunny was bedded down on a towel and it tried to eat it leading to blockage from the long fibers it ingested, and it died within the day. Just be careful if you've never had her around towels as I'd hate to see something like that happen to her.

Yes we are, my girlfriend started the post and we both have been responding throughout the day, but yes we are both very nervous because we did not expect her to be pregnant, and just want all 7 to survive and be healthy.

Anyway about them being fed, they looked thin and i read multiple sites before i got on here that they should have a pingpong ball like stomach, or at least a bit larger than normal but it didnt seem like that was happening. I was thinking of taking the babbies out tonight and keeping them in their nest and then putting them back in the morning so i can see if they are being fed by the mother.

Also yes i do have a small hand towel but it is at the bottom of their nest. That is covered almost entirely by beding and bits of timothy hay, also cotton is on top as well. The mom did not seperate her fur, i had to cut it and place it in the nest. The mom has not messed with the towel as of yet, she has had one under her before on a section of teh cage and bit it overtime but i might remove it and just fill the bottom with beding/hay, and cotton.

yes the mom seems to be feeding them. I check on them and a few are fed and some are not. I just took her out and she let them latch and was more calm than before.

I noticed that a few of the kits have some yellow crust on their noses, is this something i should be concerned about?

I'm very relieved that mom is doing what she is suppose to!

It's possible that mom isn't cleaning them as well as she should. You can take a cotton ball and warm water and wash their lil faces. (Don't make the cotton ball too wet, you don't want any water getting up their nose.)

You know, it would be lovely if you could share a few photo's with us. :camera Gives us a "cuteness fix" for the day to see babies! :hearts

Alright the kits just opened their eyes yesterday/today and i was wondering how much longer do they have to stay in their nest? sometimes one or two creep out then return, but just curious to when they don't need it anymore. Also i can post mroe pictures if that would help.

As long as the nest is clean, I leave it in until they are 3 weeks old. You can empty it and turn it on it's side so they can sit inside as well as on the top. Gives them a little security to hide in, but gives them (or Momma) room to get up and away from the others.

Latest posts

Back