Help help help :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloeg

Reaction score
I woke up this morning (at 7am currently 8am) to a very distressed mum who has gone outside as we do every morning to check on the rabbits. She found the hutch door open. We ALWAYS check the hutch doors throughout the day and always before we go to sleep to double check they are locked.Our hutch has two doors on the top, one with wiring one that is solid where the 'sleeping' area is and that is the door that was open, the hutch locks are very stiff to undo and we simply can't get our heads round how it got out.
We've left the bottom door open and put some food outside to entice it back. We've checked under everything in the garden and in the shed and under the shed. Including every place that would seem the bunny wouldn't get to. Mum has taken the morning off work to hand out leaflets. Can anyone give a little advice for anything else that could be done as little brother parents and me are very distressed as anyone would be.

If it helps, we purchased two bunnys aged 13 weeks 10 days ago. They are two mini lops. It was from a very good large pet store. We brought the two that were left from the litter so one wasn't lonely and it was thought that they were both boys. After another check up at the vets after jabs etc we were told that one of them was a girl so we immediately separated them. The hutches are very good, not cheap or unstable. It was the male that escaped. Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Last edited:
Is the hutch in an enclosed yard? Bunnies can dig out but in our experience they will usually be frightened by something and hide, especially if you have a dog or cat around. We've had a couple of rabbits escape when we didn't latch the door good. We found them hiding under or behind something in the backyard.

you could contact animal shelters and/or animal control and find out if it's possible to rent a humane trap (usually they want a deposit equal to the value of the trap, which is like $70, but you get the money back when you return the trap) - bait it with a smell-good fruit, like banana (not sure which age bunny escaped; 12 weeks is generally the threshold for fruits and veggies but I'd make an exception here - just keep the amount very small to avoid a tummy upset - a couple thin slices maybe).

Around my road there are a lot of cats. We caught one sniffing about yesterday and shooed it away. The garden is very secure, no gates to go under. We're just checking all the fences to make sure there are no tiny gaps. Just hoping a neighbour hood fox or cat didn't mistake our Bourbon for a snack :( ill get in contact with someone about a humane trap and see if we can get him back. He was very close and cuddly with his sister so something in the back of my mind thought he would come back for her. She seemed pretty shaken this morning hiding in the corner instead of coming to greet me as soon as I opened the door. Maybe I'm being paranoid but you know when you can tell something is just not right?

I hope you find him. I know I'd be devastated if I lost one of mine. Does he have anything special that he loves? Maybe use that as 'bait'. If nothing else, if you have a harness for your girl you could maybe put her on a leash and see where she goes. I know it's a long shot, but if they were close then maybe she will go in the direction that he did. I don't know if that will work or not, but at this point everything is worth a shot, right? Just make sure that she can't get out of the harness and that you keep a watchful eye on her.

The harness is a brilliant idea thank you. My dogs got a brilliant nose and whenever she comes into the room after the buns have been inside she sniffs exactly where they have been sitting. When she went outside today we kept her on a very short lead in case little escaping Houdini decided to bolt out from a corner and the dog was having a sniff about but no such luck. It breaks my heart to think of him being scared and alone :( fingers crossed! Again thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it ill try anything

I really hope you find you're little bun. I think the leash idea is great. Keep us updated. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the buns :pray:

Last edited:
Putting out leaflets is a good idea. Is it possible that someone got into the yard and opened the hutch door? It's possible that your other rabbit was acting unusual because her brother was gone, but then it could also be because there was an intruder at the hutch who scared her.

Do you think someone got into your yard and took your rabbit?

Either way, I really hope that you find your bun. Maybe put some signs up in your area for "lost rabbit" and see if anyone has seen him, just in case he got out of the yard.
Have you checked under all the bushes and all that? I'm sure you have. He could be hiding in a really tight spot.

That's what I thought, Morgan, is maybe human involvement somehow....either taking him or opening the hutch.

So sorry :( how horrible. I have no additional advice but best of luck and let us know what happens.

Anything? Please give us an update!!

I would print up flyers. There is always the possibility that someone took your bun. Maybe a young guy looking to give his girlfriend a gift. In the off chance it was something like that I would put up flyers hoping that either the person would feel guilty and return the bun or someone that new the person would inform you. Also, if your bun got out of the yard someone else may spot your bun. I saw an add on craigs list just today placed by someone that had found a pet bun.

Latest posts

Back