Help! Freaked out bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams1786

Reaction score
Okay - I just had the freakiest experience so, if you'll pardon the story...

I was just upstairs working when I walked by the window and heard the worst noise ever. There must have been a dog outside that was attacking some animal - I think a bird - and the poor thing was just screaming. Like, heart-wrenching. Realized bun was in the solarium - which is all screens so maximum noise penetration - and ran down to find her. Whatever was going on was RIGHT outside the window so the whole room was just filled with this dog snarling and the poor animal just screaming. Bun was tucked into the tightest, darkest corner of the room just completely freaked out. Grabbed her and brought her inside and she ran right behind the couch (her safe spot).

Heard so many stories of dogs just passing by and rabbits freaking out and this is why we keep her inside - I'm so worried about her stress levels right now and I can't believe this happened (and I'm a bit freaked myself - the noises stopped before I could try to break it up and I can't bring myself to go outside and see). I don't even know any local dogs and have never heard anything like that before.

So, what do I do with bun? How worried should I be? I did pass back some oats (her fav) and she gobbled them up but she must have been absolutely petrified and I just feel SO awful for letting this happen...

That's horrible! I hope whatever the dog was attacking managed to escape! My rabbit like to be seated in my lap and I surround him in my arms firmly but not harshly. That's what I do when he's stressed. Clark likes to be held so I'm not sure if doing that would help. Lewis,I just put him in a room where he feels safe and I give him some alone time.

When Sophie is scared I rub the fur above her nose. Sometimes I offer her a dried currant, which she usually takes. I speak in a low and soothing tone. I always try to remain calm...animals sense our energy, good or bad. I don't think you should blame yourself for your rabbit getting scared...who would be able to predict something like that happening!

Latest posts

Back