Help! Found injured baby rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnysaver

Reaction score
On a walk my dog sniffed at a baby bunny. The bunny tried to move but I could see it has a badly injured foot. It looks like all the fur was torn out along the inside of foot. The wound is clean of dirt, etc. It looks fairly fresh. I brought him home. Have put him on soft cloths in a small box. Inside I put a tiny shallow bottle lid with water right next to him. If he can drink...he won't have to move much to get to it. In the unlikely chance he will eat tonight I shredded some carrot and out it on his other side. I checked out antibiotics and Neosporin is ok. I tried to apply a little with a a Q tip. So far he won't drink or eat, but he is safe. I don't know about his pain....I hope the Neosporin helped...? Is there anything else I should be doing tonight for him??? I don't even know if he'll live thru the night....but I've got to at least try! . Can rabbits drink from a a tiny shallow bowl as opposed to those things you hang in the cage? Dumb question, I know, but I just want to do the right things for the little guy.

Is this a wild cottontail or a domesticated rabbit? If it's domesticated, does it appear to be used to people or nervous from being born wild?

Take the carrot out and I would replace with pesticide/herbicide free fresh grass, dandelions, etc from the yard. Carrots are too high in sugars and not a food the baby will be used to so could cause serious stomach upset. Yes they actually drink better from a dish, but if this is a baby born wild, it's more likely to get it's fluids from eating fresh forage like the grass.

Wild rehabilitator is where he needed to go. I am afraid chances are very high he won't survive thru the night. Not necessarily from the injuries but from the shock.

Back