Help. Foster litter.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnychild

Julia
Reaction score
My friend received a orphaned litter of rabbits today. None of her rabbits have milk, so she asked me if I could foster them. I have one nursing mother right now. The problem is that the mother's litter is two weeks old and the orphans are barely a day old. Is it okay to put the orphans with this litter?

I don't know much of anything about this type of thing, but it may be helpful for those that do to know how many kits are in each of the litters. Good luck!!

Theoretically speaking, you could put each litter in a different nestbox. Give the nursing doe one litter during the day and one at night. Some people have success with that, especially if both are smaller litters.

However, in this case, I would not foster the young litter to one of your nursing does. It's one thing to foster within a rabbitry, but bringing rabbits in from other places is a risk to the health of your own herd. Especially when a rabbit's body is going through a natural stressor like nursing, the doe can have a compromised immune system and be particularly at risk for picking things up.

I have taken the litter. There are six babies. I am keeping them separate. My friend showed me how to hold the mother so that the babies can feed. Kiaya is very calm about this.

Just be sure the foster litter doesn't take so much milk that she can't give her own enough. How many in your own litter? The foster litter will start nibbling on pellets and hay in a week and won't need as much milk.

Sounds like it could be a juggling act because the 6 newborns will need the milk more than the other two...but the 2 week olds still need to nurse too because they aren't quite ready for pellets just yet. Fact is, the newborns need to nurse at least once a day. If they get enough milk in the one feeding, say in the evening, then the doe should be able to nurse the other two during the morning. Make sure you're giving the doe extra water, pellets & protein because supporting two litters right now will drain her. Also give the 2 week olds a little hay to start eating.

if everything is working out, let it work out.
it's a risk but hopefully your doe and other kits will remain healthy. :)

Latest posts

Back