Help! Diagnose this young rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow, Baby looks great!!! Looks completely healed. It must feel pretty good knowing you were able to help that little guy:)

That food is pretty shocking. It's not something any of us would feed, but oh well. The baby does seem to really like it, but no wonder with all that corn in it. That's pretty funny that dad's back there snoozing while baby is there snarfing the food down:)

You'll want to make sure to give the next dose of revolution as soon as possible. You just don't want to wait too long because anything that wasn't killed with the first dose, will be maturing soon and can reinfest the baby and dad again. That's why you have to retreat in 2 weeks, to give all the leftover eggs a chance to hatch, but not long enough that they mature and can lay more eggs.

I'm so glad you've helped this baby! He looks so good and so happy now:)

Ohh...interesting point about the chicken food. Next door to the rabbit pen is a chicken pen with 2 chickens in it. I should check that out and see if their food is the same!

Brb.

The food situation is really strange, but different countries do things differently. I bet the chickens would love the rabbit food!

Where do you work? The fact that there are chickens and rabbits in the same place, is a little strange. Are the chickens in good health? Are there other animals there and are they okay?

cornflakes wrote:
. Today I tried giving him some cucumber and even some almonds, cashews, walnuts (i had some today and the dad ate some but not the baby).

Please don't give the bunnies any nuts. I think some are toxic. Anyone jump in if i'm wrong.

yeah, seeds and nuts are no-nos for bunnies... cucumber's ok, but only in limited amounts (about 1 tbsp per 2 lbs body weight)

It's now March and they are both still doing well. I just thought I'd post another short clips of the rabbits. The young one has been active and he's always running around and doing funny things now lol. He likes to dig into my bag of timothy hay so I let him do it for a little while.

rabbits update march 13, 2013

Awww they look really good! I'm glad you've been helping to take care of them. They seem to really like they hay, which is good.
They seem pretty healthy and happy!

Have there been any other issues with mites or anything?

Thankfully no other issues or recurrence. Yeah, they really love the hay these days. The water bowl used to freeze overnight and sometimes i'd find them licking the ice....so i started changing the water everyday too, and the chickens in the next pen (since they keep calling for me to tell me their water is frozen! LOL). I have a video of that too.

Lol, the little boy is so funny digging in the bag of hay. They both seem really happy. It's so good to see that both of those rabbits are doing so well now. It looks like you've won them over and that they are completely comfortable with you and look forward to you coming to visit them :)

I saw this thread a while back and I've seen the little boy improve as time went by. First of all I would like to thank you SO MUCH for helping the baby bun. You did a very good job and I know you would make an awesome pet owner! They seem to be so exited to see you, and I'm sure they get very happy when you come to visit them.

cornflakes, you have done a very wonderful thing looking after these two bunnies. I hope you can take them with you when your time there is over. Best wishes. :)

Just read this from start to finish and what a story...what a difference for little baby from the beginning to now, he looks like a different bunny and they both seem to be much better emotionally now with your company, they are really getting attached to you. I really hope that you can take them with you when you leave, you´ve made such an enormous difference to their lives.

I have some bad news that I just received today after work.

I visit the rabbits everyday and give them some hay and clean water
or just to see them. The baby rabbit was healthy as normal at around 12noon
moving around everywhere, eating, etc. But after work at around 4pm, the groundskeeper told me that he thinks the grey rabbit is going to die today. I was like WHAT?!?!? I was thinking to myself, WTH DO YOU MEAN HE MIGHT DIE TODAY. I JUST SAW HIM 3 HOURS AGO AND HE WAS SUPER DUPER HEALTHY.

When I got over to the pen, I saw him laying there with little energy, his dad sprawled over him, and moving around him licking his ears, his head, and his behind. I saw the young rabbit was trying to move around but his legs and body were not coordinated and it looked like at first his back was broken cuz his body looked contorted. After spending the next half hour trying to find out what could have happened and calling the english speaking VET, it was either some animal had climbed into the pen and injured it in an attack, or it was some disease perhaps that STRUCK suddenly like this (this one I highly doubted), or he may have injured himself from a fall (vets told me they can sometimes do that), or he ate something that poisoned him. Well most of the people had gone home and it looked really bad. He seemed to be wet in the mouth/nose area...possibly since he's breathing into the ground not able to keep his head up, and when he tried to move around, he was flopping over the place struggling to get upright. I decided even if it was out of my hands and this was it, I called around for the nearest animal clinic with an english speaking vet. We found one 25 minutes away in the next biggest city. I put the rabbit in a box with some newspaper and hay....called a cab and headed over to the animal hospital. He was squirming and moving around throughout the ride...i kept a gentle hand present....we got to the vet, he checked him, took an xray, saw that there was nothing wrong with is bones or internals....so that led us to believe 90% that it was poison...but there was no way to know what kind of poison or what he ate ....the only medicine they had was for insecticide and fertilizer poisoning so i got both injection for him...we decided to keep him there to rest instead of me taking him back since its a long way.

As I was writing this, I just got a call from the vet to tell me that sadly he did not make it. He just passed away. I'm broken and in tears right now I can't even type anymore so sorry. Here were the last pictures of him at the vet.

Looks like it's just the dad rabbit now... I'm so sorry that his story had to end like this...all i wanted was for him to live a full life...he was too young, such a fighter, but in the end it seemed there was nothing i could do. The only comfort I will take with me is knowing i did all that I could...above and beyond and i hope he knew it...i hope there's a heaven for rabbits too.
zn4gld.jpg

119uovo.jpg

I never gave him a name. I just referred to him as the baby rabbit, young rabbit or grey rabbit......in memory of him, can you all suggest what name I could give him? I need to get back to my crying.

Now that I took a hot shower and I'm all cried out, I got curious again to know what could have been the issue? I did some online researching looking for what causes "sudden loss of motor skills/balance/inability to walk"...and other things I noticed were a slightly wet nose/mouth...and little bit of wetness in eyes or fur around the eyes...could this have been "discharge"? We pretty much ruled out an animal attack, or an injury of the bones ....it seems either poisoning or maybe something in the intestinal system? Some sort of internal intestinal bacterial infection? Could anyone shed some light possibly what it sounds like it could have been? Once again the rabbit was fully healthy, vibrant, normal as could be at 12noon...then around 3 or 4ish when I was told, was suddenly unable to walk, loss of motor skills/coordination, slight wetness around the mouth/nose and eyes...but they may have been due to the dad licking it or the baby rabbit's own breath condensation from having his mouth on the ground all the time breathing (builds up moisture?). He was also breathing faster than normal (you could see the breathing in the body going up and down faster than normal). The other thing I THINK i noticed was his cheeks seemed bigger (maybe swelling?). It was either his fur just styled that way from having been face on the ground for so long or his cheeks really did swell a bit larger. Just also to add, during this time, he never attempted to eat or drink even when I put a cap filled with water right at his mouth. His mouth was shut the whole time. He didn't make any noises other than once in awhile when the vet was just checking him (like a purring sound).

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear the ending of this story! I was so glad that he was doing so well!!
Poor little guy, R.I.P. and binky free.

I'm so grateful that at least you were there to help him even though it wasn't your rabbit! Thank god for people like you and I can't believe the owners let it get to that point, they clearly didn't care about them much.

Latest posts

Back