Help Delilah isn't pooping after I gave her new hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envyme

Reaction score
So, yesterday I went with my bf to a bunny rescue in LA (rabbit.org). I saw the Hay they were giving their buns and it looked so much better then the hay I give Delilah. So, they told me where they get there hay: Red Barn. It is a mixture of Timothy, Oat, and Barley.

Anyways, the hay I usually buy is from Kaytee (SP) and it is plain thin looking Timothy. The hay I just bought is like Hay you give horses. It is the style you buy by the bail or the flake. I got home and have it to Delilah. She loved it. Then I put some in her cage she sleeps in at night and when I woke up it was mostly easten (as usual with the old hay I was giving her).

Well she doesn't always poop very much in her cage she sleeps in at night but as soon as I get her to my room she poops like crazzy in one spot in my room (she is not litterbox trained yet).

So, this am no poop except 3 lil pieces. I am worried and her tummy feels different the usual. More tight. She won't let me hold her to rub her tummy and she won't drink the pinapple juice I have for her either. I have a dropper you give kids medicine in but she won't let me pick her up. Other then her lack of poop she seems fine. She eats and what not. and is laying in her cage.

Help what should I do??

So, yesterday I went with my bf to a bunny rescue in LA (rabbit.org). I saw the Hay they were giving their buns and it looked so much better then the hay I give Delilah. So, they told me where they get there hay: Red Barn. It is a mixture of Timothy, Oat, and Barley.

Anyways, the hay I usually buy is from Kaytee (SP) and it is plain thin looking Timothy. The hay I just bought is like Hay you give horses. It is the style you buy by the bail or the flake. I got home and have it to Delilah. She loved it. Then I put some in her cage she sleeps in at night and when I woke up it was mostly easten (as usual with the old hay I was giving her).

Well she doesn't always poop very much in her cage she sleeps in at night but as soon as I get her to my room she poops like crazzy in one spot in my room (she is not litterbox trained yet).

So, this am no poop except 3 lil pieces. I am worried and her tummy feels different the usual. More tight. She won't let me hold her to rub her tummy and she won't drink the pinapple juice I have for her either. I have a dropper you give kids medicine in but she won't let me pick her up. Other then her lack of poop she seems fine. She eats and what not. and is laying in her cage.

Help what should I do??

Hi,

I wouldn't panic quite yet. Just relax and monitor her situation. As long as the hay is clean and horse quality, it it perfectly OK for rabbits. It could be that she just enjoyed and ate a lot since it is a change from the same old ho-hum timothy (and they should get a variety of different types of grass hays). Make sure she is drinking and maintaining hydration. Offer some wet leaves of romaine lettuce since greens help with hydration. Be cautious with the pineapple juice...do not use any type of processed juice. This treatment is up for argument but I use pineapple juice here. But....it has to be squeezed directly from the fruit...not canned, bottled, concentrate or any other processed product....ithas to be fresh.

My suggestion is to not do too much. Make sure she is hydrated. Let her run free. Movement many times helps a slow gut. Don't panic and do too much.

Randy

Oh no...well I gave her 100% organic pure pineapple juice that is pure juice not from concentrate and no sugar added..all natural. I saw on another site it said to give her that...I do not remember off the top of my head which site it was. She eventually started drinking it out of a dropper. She seems to really like it...yikes...I guess no more of that. I got the juice from whole foods just fyi. She has popped a little since I gave her the juice. Towards the very end of what was left in the bowl (I was using to suck the juice in from) she wanted more but I had very little left so I mixed it with a bunch of water. She drank that too. Is that a bad thing to give her...that pinapple juice?! Yikes. I will pick up some anti-gas stuff for her...like the kind that was mentioned on the forum.

PS: here is what the juice says:

Lakewood Organic Pure Pinapple Juice. 100% juice fresh pressed.

Contains: fresh pressed juice and puree fiber from whole ripe, certified organic pinapples

Contains 100% juice, no water, NOT from concentraite.

Is this ok for her?

the ideal would be to buy a pineapple and squeeze the juice from it. You can always eat the pineapple yourself. Since my buns have been molting so much this spring I am eating a lot of pineapple myself!!!

mixing it with water is OK but you don't want to give unlimited juice because of the sugar....
Simethicone can be found in liquid form at a drugstore ; it is best to get the liquid for infants. Simrthicone should be the only active ingredient . Some of the brands are mylicon infant gas drops and gas x for infants. read the back of the package to make sure there are no other active ingredients other than simethicone
Even if you don't use it now it still is a good idea to have it on hand.
If your bun has a hard tummy and is shifting position this is a symptom of gas....

I would only give freshly squeezed pineapple juice. The amount of sugar in pineapple juice can be dangerous but freshly squeezed stuff may have enzymes that help with digestion. Non-fresh stuff probably doesn't have those enzymes, so the risks of too much sugar outweigh the benefit.

Simethicone is a good idea. Also make sure she's drinking water.

Hi-

Angie soory but I'm not sure what you mean by what's going on there...as in with Delilah or with something else?

Update Delilah seems to be doing better. I'm not home so I can't say she has or hasn't had water. When I get home I will check and keep an eye on her. She is eating and did take the anti-gas medicine. She seemed chipper this morning and has been eating and pooping! Thanks for the advice!

:)

I guess that means that I am wonering what is happening at your house with your bunny....

probably not worded right..sorry !:(
but I am glad your bun is better....

Hey Angie-

No worries at all :) I just wasn't sure if you were addressing me or the person who posted just before you. Thanks for checking in to see how Delilah is. She is doing a lot better and she is eating lots of hay. Her water seems to be lower too (which means she is drinking) and all. Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

xoxo

How is she now? She may have OD'd on the hay and her stomach may be swollen because of it. I would have her checked out by a bunny savy vet, if she isnt pooping.

Let us know! I hope she is ok :)

Edit: Thread from Nutrition and Behavior merged into this thread. It was posted twice.

Latest posts

Back