Help.....Cupcake is dragging her legs!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
I am so sad for my baby. Last week she refused togo in her litter box & started laying around her cage allsprawled out ( not like her) & pooping & peeingeverywhere.

We went away for the weekend & on Sunday night when we let herout to hop around she dragged her hind legs. After a while it seemed toimprove a little.

Took her to the vet today & he said it was a weird case- lookedlike a spinal injury but she had feelings in both her feet (kicked thevet) but did somehow drag her feet a little. Said maybe it was apartial spine injury?

The vet suggested she could have injured her spine but she still hadpretty good movement. She also may have a parasite or she could havebeen born with a birth defect.

He gave me a quote for approx $400 worth of x-rays & bloodtests but said he was not sure if they could do anything if they foundout she was injured. As long as she is eating & drinking well (she is & looks fine otherwise) He suggested not letting her runaround for a while & see what happens

Anyone else have this experience of dragging feet? I was scared when heindicated that if her legs were totally paralysed they would recommendputting her to sleep- so far she seems okay other than draggin her feeta little.

Any advise?? I am hoping that she injured herself & it will heal...praying for my little bun.

A worried bunny mommy...Sue

Oh no! Sue, howawful for you! I just love Cupcake! I'm sure as soon as Pam sees thisshe or Carolyn will have some advice. There are probably severalothers, Gabby always seems to know something about these kinds ofthings too. That is a lot of money for tests and such. It's so hard toknow what to do. Does she seem like she is in pain? That would be thedetermining factor for me when it came to something like that. Pleasekeep us posted! You'll be in my thoughts!

Raspberry

Oh no, this is horrible!!!! Like Raspberry said,Carolyn or Pam will be able to give you better information. I'm soworried for you guys though. Keep us up to date.

I have no knowledge when it comes to this stuff,but could it be she has a minor injury that is inflamed? do they havethings to help inflamation in rabbits?

I once had a large clumsy doe that fell off her box and sprained something. She dragged her hind foot for a day or two.

Izlimped for awhile one morning, but it only lasted about 20 min. It was so weird.

hope she's ok!

Rose

Thanks Pam- I had found your link from an earlier post when I did a search but it all seems so confusing.

I took your advise & sent my vet the link. He asked me toe-mail him if I had more info & I will touch base with him in afew days once I decide what I want to do.

She does not seem to be in pain- she still loves to be petted &comes over to the side of the cage to see us & still gives usbunny kisses. She is eating & drinking as usual however she diddo a pee at the vets office that looked like a pasty beige color ( kindof looked like hommus)- he said rabbits will sometimes have this intheir urine? He even suggested maybe a urine infection. I will watchher the next few days & try to decide if I should do moretests- she seems happy but just seems to be dragging her legs-poor baby

Thanks for all your support guys- I will keep you posted.

Urine sludge (minerals/calcium)isprobably accumulating as she is not able to properly empty herbladder.If she doesn't have a uterine infection,Iwould not be surprised if she developed one. Pleasekeep us updated on her condition.

The information I posted gives some other possibilities besides theobvious assumption of an injury (which it may very well be).Parasites, congenital disorders and bacterial infections are othercauses to consider that the link goes into detail about.

Pam

Oh Dear. :shock: The heart's pounding with this happening to Our Cupcake.

Breathe.

Keep her warm and comfortable, and eating and drinking.

Keep her bottom clean.

An inch of NutriCal a day, don't you think, Pam?

The reason Pamnock gave you a good vet nearby is because her draggingher feet could be for any number or reasons. It could be in poorbreeding, kidney failure, and the list goes on.

I'm praying for her so much. You know how we all love Cupcake. She's a Calendar Girl!

I'm trying to contact Kathy Smith, the author of the book, "Rabbit Health in the 21st Century - 2nd Ed."

Her line is busy, but I'll try one more time because it's getting late,and then again tomorrow. I've written her an email about Cupcake. Ifshe's online, she'll reply.

Kisses to Cupcake, and Hope to her Loving Mother.

-Carolyn

I'd hold off on the Nutri Cal until advice isgiven by the vet. If the kidneys are affected, it may beharmful to dump all that calories/fat into her system or to have theextra sugars in the bladder.

Plenty of liquids is certainly a good idea as well as hay.

Pam

Just spoke to Kathy Smith.

She suspects E. cuniculi with the speed of the symptoms. Either that, or a stroke.

Cupcake's prognosis isn't good and probably won't be long.

I'm So Sorry.

I pray she's wrong.

Love,
-Carolyn

This may not be applicable in this particularsituation, but you may also not have much to lose by trying this "oldfashioned" remedy. Link to:http://cooleyscritters.freeservers.com/photo6.htmlandscroll down to Hindquarter Paralysis that is not caused by a breakin the back. The lady whose site it is given on is a finewoman and one whose knowledge I hold in high esteem. Sheclaims the treatmentto be very effective. Might beworth reading and trying if everyone appears to be at a lossas to what to do.

Prayers go out to you and your bun. So many buns seem to be getting "hit" today. It is so disheartening.

Buck

Definitely worth trying Buck's suggestion.

Just want to add the Kathy just called me back. She said that one ofher rabbits lived with such a condition for a year. Another one - twomonths.

She also reiterated that it could be a stroke.

Prayers, Thoughts and Love go out to you and Cupcake tonight and many nights to come.

-Carolyn

Most definitelykeeping Cupcake in my prayers. As Buck said, it's been a rough stretchfor bunnies this last day or so, perhaps it's time for the tide toturn. Let us know how things are going.

Raspberry

I will be praying for you cupcake andsue! I wish I could reach out and hug you both, I just lovethe pictures of little cupcake, she reminds me of my bun!Please keep us updated. Tracy

Has she been around ticks by anychance.Our dogstarted to act just like that and itstarted out like a sprang and it got worse. After endless tests wefound out it was lyme disease. He is still a little weak but is doingbetter. He has front line and the vaccination but didnt work I guess.Just one more thought. I never would of thought of that before ithappend with our dog.

Thanks everyone- I will be doing more research& may even go see another vet. The vet that I had originallyplanned to see did not have any rabbit vets in yesterday so I decidedto go to another rabbit vet- he said her case was unusual & hewould consult another collegue for advise.

I may get a second opnion because I am so confused. Cupcake seems happy& I am now afraid to let her out to hop around in case she doesmore damage to herself but I want to see how she is hopping.

She seems happy & is eating lots of her hay ( her favorite) & gobbled up her parsley treat last night.

I will do more reading & may just wait a while before doing anything.

Sue

I'm thinking of you Sue and our sweet little Cupcake.At least she's eating and feeling OK. Poor baby.

Back