Help convincing my husband we need another bunny...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good so far, my last clinical shift is on the 29th this month so I wont know when or if I'm getting more until after that shift, but they wont schedule something that quickly.

I wonder what they will think of Gus... Loki trys to protect Lily from Crash (the cat) who just ends up trying to eat Lokis ears and falling over, will be interesting to say the least :p

I agree with everyone else, better to beg forgiveness then to ask permission.

I don't see anything wrong with "fostering" a bunny and it just turns out tha bunny never gets adopted.

Better to beg forgiveness then to ask permission.

Honestly, I just want to point out this is how a lot of bunnies end up homeless. Not that I think Rue or her husband would abandon a bunny, ever, their devotion to Gus proves this, but it kind of worries me that people give out this advice at all, TBH.

For example, Fidget and Midget, the two bunnies I just had to rehome when they were surrundered, were with that family under the same sort of ideal. Daughter went out and bought two rabbits, only to give them up not a month later because Mom was so upset about it. They were both there to pick them up, but that didn't mean Mom was happy about it and I don't think getting something that will leave a negative first impression like that is a good idea, it's not really fair to anybody. I honestly think that when making a decision as important as another family member, it shouldn't be 'Oh, lookie what I got today!'

Rue, honestly, if you're going to make this decision I think it would be better to take it slow and find a bun you all like, including Gus. If you happen to get the wrong bun and 'Surprise, we have a bunny!' and perhaps it's just not the right fit, it wouldn't be a great situation for anyone. I've just seen too many disastorous results happening from the surprise method and I'm rather shocked that so many people on here seem gung-ho for it.

The fostering thing would be different, because then you guys could get a feel for the bun before really commiting and even if you decide against that bun in particular, you're still doing a good thing for that rabbit until it gets adopted and then you try for one that's a better fit. I still think going to the shelter and looking at buns there, taking the time to play with them and meet them, is the best way to go.

Just my two cents.

I find that showing my husband pictures from petfinder works well. Particularly if they have a really sad story attached. "Oh look at this poor bun, it has suffered so much. We need to bring it home and make it happy." He can't say no once he hears the story and sees the face. He just melts and says ok.

Taking Gus somewhere that he can choose his mate is also nice, then you know they should get along. It's not a guarentee, but more likely. Harder to get permission when you don't have a specific bun in mind though.

Also point out that Gus will live a healthier, happier, longer life if he has a mate. Fewer individual vet bills. Granted you will have two so the base is doubled, but you don't have to point that out. Other than the vet, having two really doesn't cost very much more and isn't much more work.

I have to confess to bringing home a bun my husband wasn't expecting. However, I also knew that he is easy to melt. He was irritated until Gary gave him a kiss. Now they are best friends. Joshua also decided it was a good idea once he saw how much Becky perked up having a new mate (she was a widdow). It's a risk I wouldn't take though if there were ANY chance it would cause a problem between the two of you.

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions, everyone!

Kipcha/Amanda, you are wise beyond your years.:nodI totally agree. Tempting though it is, I don't want to create friction in my marriage. So I'm looking at other alternatives to warm hubby up to the idea of getting a second bunny.And I'm not going to rush into anything either. So that's why we're planning on bunny-sitting Watermelons' duo for a weekend.Then he can see what two bunnies together are really like, and hopefully that will pave the way for at least a conversation about it. ;)

I like the idea of finding bunnies with really sad stories, too. (Not that I like that any bunny should have a sad story! :() But I've noticed hubby's attitude toward Gus has changed since he's been diagnosed with kidney failure. He's much more patient with him than he was before. So maybe finding a bunny that's had a rough go of it will hit him in that same soft spot.

Thanks again!

Rue

Latest posts

Back