HELP! Can Simon have this???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
I found a toy!!!! We got a new phonebook in the mail today and it was sitting on the floor...kinda forgot about it a little and we let Simon out.

HE LOVES THE PHONE BOOK! He is scenting it, ripping it, pushing it and chasing it....!!!!

Now I thought I read that like...don't let them chew newspaper n whatnot which would lead me to think he shouldn't have the phone book...please someone tell me I am wrong and he can destroy it till his heart is content????
I just got peed on for taking it away, but it is actually something he likes that I don't care if he ruins....

thanks in advance

It should be totally fine - a lot of people give their bunnies old phonebooks and yellow pages because they make great bunny toys

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ...both of you lol!!

I feel like a kid at x-mas!!! I am so freakin happy to be able to give him something he can have!!! LOL!

AW SO AWESOME! hip hip hooray!

Awww! Hehe! I find eating it isn't a problem anyway, they really just love to rip it to sheds and "dig" in it. :p

Lucky Simon! :D

Well crap.....he is actually eating it and not just destroying it....

The book says....

The white and yellow pages are printed on paper containing up to 40% post-consumer recycled fiber.

There is a number on the front of the book...trying to call now..

and in the mean time...

WOOT and the book is indeed soy based so I guess we are cool!

Is there anything I should worry about with him eating it though? Can it cause a blockage if he eats too much?

thank you all so much

I don't think they're is much to worry about, if anything the paper will just break down when it gets wet, but if he starts to take big chunks of paper and try to swallow it thats a time to be careful. ;)

OH YEAH!!! My buns LOVE phone books!! They're perfect big ol' lands of shreddy happiness!!!

And newspaper is just fine, too, as they only make it with veggie dyes.

:biggrin2: Have at it, Simon!! :biggrin2:

Edited to add: Should be just fine if he chews/eats it.

Try ripping it in half, or leaving it open on the floor...you'll LOVE what he does with that! :D

Yeah I did that!

I have it open it half, but when I turn the page he goes bonkers rubbing chin all over the new page...he has to make it all his lol!!

He seems more in the mood for some head rubs right now...but darn if I am not as happy as a pig in poop that we found something he likes, that he can have!
Man...maybe this will stop some of the biting and chewing on everything else he shouldn't be chewing...or at least dull it down...(crosses fingers) :)

Trying to show my daughter how to pet his head how he likes it, but she loses interest so fast. We have this problem with all things with her..sigh

I told her it is Simons book now and she was like...but I was looking at it mommy...and I said well you have to share than..try turning the pages for him...LOL

I have him drinking more today too! So I am a bit happy about that. I looked at the bottle of one of the juices I buy for my daughter. 100% white grape with no crap added and no sugar added. Put some in his water dish (with water) and he loves it! WOOT!

I have this feeling...right in this moment..that things are going to be ok!
We found a toy he likes...I got him drinking his water....found a vet I think I will like...with a neuter price that won't murder me...and I talked to my friend and asked if he would help me out with having Simon seen for an exam and for the neuter and he said sure! HOPE hath returned to me! lol!!

:)

YAYY!! That's wonderful to hear that things are working out so well!

Yeah, I think him having a phone book ought to help curb his chewing other things a bit. If you have a Petco near you, they have a few toys that I'll list that my babies LOVE!!

The Nut Knot Nibbler comes in two sizes, small and large. It is at Petco (and I've seen it at other pet stores, too), and I have yet to have a bun that doesn't enjoy chewing the heck out of it! :)

Then you have the Small Animal Kingdom Ferret Fun Ball & Wagonwheel toy that you can find at Petco in their ferret section. The wagonwheel, in particular, is another toy that I haven't encountered a single bun that didn't like it. The cool thing is it also comes with a ball, for those buns that like nosing around balls. :)

Petco also has the Small Animal Kingdom Rabbit Maze Ball. Yet another universally-loved bun toy, though larger buns (I would say, above 8lbs) have a hard time getting their muzzle in the holes to pick it up and toss it around...but they still love nosing it around!

Then, you could also go with something like Small Animal Kingdom Straw Mats. Most buns love to chew them, though Fiver's an exception to that. I think his not wanting to chew them is more attributed to the fact that they cover his ramp, though...and he possibly recognizes that if he chews them, his ramp cover goes away...hehe! (I don't have any other buns that need ramps...he was just afraid to come back down from the top level without one.)

Let's see...what else...

Newspaper in a cardboard box!! As long as the box has very basic writing on it, no sticker-type labels, and the tape has been removed from it...it's totally safe for Simon to chew up and destroy. And the newspaper...he'll LOVE shredding it! And if you put a few crumpled-up pieces in there, he'll love tossing them around. You can even hide a treat (like a raisin) in some of the crumpled-up newspaper pieces. That gives him something to work on. :)

Another thing my buns love to work on...regular ol' brown lunch sacks full of hay and a few treats, tied shut with sisel twine (which is WONDERFUL to keep around). Heck, you can even knot up the sisel twine into a little ball of knots, and he can work at chewing it.

All this stuff is perfectly safe, and you wouldn't have to watch to be sure he doesn't do this or that. Those are the only kinds of toys I buy my crew, since in having so many, I can't worry about if they're doing this or that to their toys. Not to mention, it's not true fun if you have to police what they're doing! :D

Enjoy!

Good to know that it's okay if they eat a bit of newspaper/phonebook. I had been confiscating these items every time I saw Billy starting to consume a piece! Maybe I can give them back to him now :)

One thing I forgot to add! :shock:

I take the front and back cover off of a phone book, just because it looks like it might have a plastic layer adhered to it, if that makes sense...just to be on the safe side. :)

maherwoman wrote:
YAYY!! That's wonderful to hear that things are working out so well!

Yeah, I think him having a phone book ought to help curb his chewing other things a bit. If you have a Petco near you, they have a few toys that I'll list that my babies LOVE!!

The Nut Knot Nibbler comes in two sizes, small and large. It is at Petco (and I've seen it at other pet stores, too), and I have yet to have a bun that doesn't enjoy chewing the heck out of it! :)

Then you have the Small Animal Kingdom Ferret Fun Ball & Wagonwheel toy that you can find at Petco in their ferret section. The wagonwheel, in particular, is another toy that I haven't encountered a single bun that didn't like it. The cool thing is it also comes with a ball, for those buns that like nosing around balls. :)

Petco also has the Small Animal Kingdom Rabbit Maze Ball. Yet another universally-loved bun toy, though larger buns (I would say, above 8lbs) have a hard time getting their muzzle in the holes to pick it up and toss it around...but they still love nosing it around!

Then, you could also go with something like Small Animal Kingdom Straw Mats. Most buns love to chew them, though Fiver's an exception to that. I think his not wanting to chew them is more attributed to the fact that they cover his ramp, though...and he possibly recognizes that if he chews them, his ramp cover goes away...hehe! (I don't have any other buns that need ramps...he was just afraid to come back down from the top level without one.)

Let's see...what else...

Newspaper in a cardboard box!! As long as the box has very basic writing on it, no sticker-type labels, and the tape has been removed from it...it's totally safe for Simon to chew up and destroy. And the newspaper...he'll LOVE shredding it! And if you put a few crumpled-up pieces in there, he'll love tossing them around. You can even hide a treat (like a raisin) in some of the crumpled-up newspaper pieces. That gives him something to work on. :)

Another thing my buns love to work on...regular ol' brown lunch sacks full of hay and a few treats, tied shut with sisel twine (which is WONDERFUL to keep around). Heck, you can even knot up the sisel twine into a little ball of knots, and he can work at chewing it.

All this stuff is perfectly safe, and you wouldn't have to watch to be sure he doesn't do this or that. Those are the only kinds of toys I buy my crew, since in having so many, I can't worry about if they're doing this or that to their toys. Not to mention, it's not true fun if you have to police what they're doing! :D

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for that info..

Sadly Simon I think defies the norm! lol...he wouldn't fit into our family so well if he didn't though :)
We have the nut knot...he could care less...he has a few balls and he barely shows them interest...he licked his tigger ball today, and he we will sort of run after them if you roll them but that is it..and mats he likes. Doesn't always chew them, but there are three that cover his shelf in his cage and he will have a good go at them at times...

I like that paper bag idea. The vet we had been seeing said it would be ok to put little pieces of banana in his hay to try to get him to eat more...thing is I know he would just poke through and find the nana and not care about the rest. He really does get bonkers for them. But maybe the paper bag with hay and nana would be a great toy! I will have to try that!..

Do you happen to know if hemp cord if ok to use? I think I have some of that left somewhere from when I used to make necklaces and stuff. I haven't heard of the twine you mentioned before. Where could I grab that up at?

I don't really want to go to places like petco and petsmart anymore. There is so much they sell that isn't even on the safe lists for buns.....amazes me.
The vet offers the hay, pellet and grassmats...and if things follow suit...Simon likes the non store bought toys lol...wouldn't have much cause to ever go...which makes me happy.

I really like that paper bag idea!

I wonder if he would like those big paper bags from grocery stores....to hide and play in...I wonder if they even carry those anymore. Think I will have a look and try to grab some if I can next time I go!

OH YEAH...he'll probably LOVE those grocery store paper bags...I know mine do! :)

And the sisel twine, you can probably get from a home improvement store. I think we got ours from Lowe's or Home Depot.

I'm not totally sure about the hemp rope...I've never asked about it. Maybe try posting a new thread asking?

Oh, I know what you mean about pet stores...I try to just ignore the bad stuff they sell and go straight to the toys, lol!

Oh...and have you tried finding a feed store near you for cheaper, fresher hay? They usually have neat stuff for buns, too. :D

I only found one place locally...and they seemed all about horses...not really anything there I could see for a bun....but I am sure there has to be somewhere that would work out...

Lowes is right down the road from me..so I will just grab some next time I am there!

Thanks again so much!

Oh you're so welcome!

I'm going to take some time to think about things before replying to the other thread...I'm not too great at assessing health issues, but something seems to be going on. Relax, though...it'll get worked out...don't worry.

As far as the feed place...did they have bales of hay? If they have bales of Timothy hay, that's about as fresh as it gets, and would be EXCELLENT for Simon...and don't worry, it can last up to a year, so even in having only one bun, you'll be okay. You would just put it in a rubbermaid sort of tub, uncovered so it can breathe.

The more hay he gets, the better...and he would be more jazzed with the bales of hay, believe you me! My buns were always kinda "meh" about the hay I found elsewhere...like bagged hay in stores...but go NUTS for baled hay! I don't have a single bun that I don't have to give a new big ol' pile of hay to every single day...they eat it all. And I have so many different personalities and preferences, I think that them all loving that hay is a good indicator of its freshness and flavor.

Not to mention, the more hay he has, the healthier his digestive system will be. :)

That's not to discount that you know that...I'm just puttin' things out there. Never know what one does or does not know! :)

Hugs!

All thoughts are welcome! There is always some thing to learn!

I haven't gotten around to using bunny bale yet...bit more than I can afford right at the moment and he has some hay...

The bales though...I would love to but the only place I could keep it would be outside and I don't think my landlord would allow it. The place I just moved from it would have been fine...but here everything is SO much smaller!

I really want to find a way to empty out the tiny third bedroom I have and turn it into Simons room and a spare bedroom. But it is so crammed! This place is much much smaller than where I just moved from....

Perhaps I will look into going in on a bale with some local people...that way the room issue..wouldn't be such an issue. I think Hazel and I had talked about it at one point...think Randy told us about a place...will have to see if I can find those threads...

Back