HELP!!! Bunny with broken leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
I letted the bunnies out to run, And our puppy was chasing the bunny and broke hes back leg.. I do not know what to do.. Im so scared and shaking to death...

The bunny needs to got a vet. It will need x-rays to find out how the leg was broken (fracture or shattered).

The leg will need to be set and splinted. The bunny will also need some pain medication like tramadol.

-Dawn

My hubby is at work right now, I called him to see what to do.. He cant get off work because they will write him up. And its just me and the kids are at home..

Do you have a carrier or small confined space? I would keep the bunny from moving until you can get her to a vet.

Is there anyone you could call to take you and bunny to the vet? How long until your husband comes home?

Do you have a vet that you can take bunny to? In the mean time, I would find a vet and find out what time the clinic opens in the morning or if there are any that are open 24 hours.

-Dawn

There is an emergancy vet where i live.. I do not know any vets will take bunnys where i live

I have tooken some pictures of it.. i dont feel no bones seperated.. but its sticking out

002-4.jpg

Keep us updated and let us know what the vet says when they call you back.

Also check his ears to monitor his temperature. It is possible that he will go into shock and his body temperature will drop. If that happens it will be important to keep him warm. Use a sock with some dry rice in it and microwave for a couple minutes until it is warm, then put it next to him to help maintain body temperature. Or put a towel in the dryer and put over him.

So if his ears go icy and he's looking lethargic, then he's probably going into shock and you'll need to keep him warm.

-Dawn

I have called the emergency vet last night and left a message, I did not get a phone back this morning, So I'm going to be calling this morning again....

*****UPDATE*****

I looked at him this morning, He was acting normal but he's foot was still sticking out on the side. He drunk all hes water this morning.

Back