HELP!!! Bunny with broken leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have called the Emergency Vets in my area, And the Vet is out of town today.. So, I will be calling our Vet in the morning and ask he does rabbits, But he only in the office at 1:00 pm to !:30 pm. If not I will have to call all over again. The Emergency vet is very expensive. I token my pug dog there when he got hit by snowmobile in Feb,2009 and it cost us just $130.00 just come in, it wasn't even she looked at him, After she looked at him and put him down it cost us over $400.00....
But, I picked him up this morning to look at him, He trying to use he's foot to scratch he's ear and was cleaning it but he couldn't really use it really good, It's still sticking out. And I straighten hes foot and he didnt move but when I grabbed he's foot he started to get away. So I think its something wrong with hes foot and not hes leg.. But we will see 2morrow when I take him in. I should also take my dog in to get her 2nd shots to be on a safe side.
My vet is awesome though,
When I first got my pug in 2008. He developed Mange and had to be on pills, And around the end of 2008. He developed Colitis and had to be on pills for that.. My vet didn't make me pay for anything and Helped me out so much and He does payment plans..

But I will keep ya'll updated after I come back to the Vet's 2morrow.

Thanks for all the help that you guys are giving me and talking to me.. This website is the best and I love it.
The nicest people that I have meet and also some of the people talk to me and help me get to threw some of the questions that I needed help with..

****HUGS TO ALL**** :inlove:

Yeah, I know.... He's doing great just cant use hes foot still this evening.. He acts like there is nothing wrong. But we will see 2morrow when I call the Vet's..

****UPDATES****

My rabbit haves an appointment at 2:30pm today at Tekonsha Animal Hospital.. The vet's are close to us dont do rabbits and the Emergency vets they want $100.00 just for office call and we dont have that much on us. And my vet doesnt know much about Rabbits so I dont wanna take him there. If they dont know much about them.

I have asked about that and they said no,, They told me it will be $300 for the office call and the x rays.. i told them heck no... When i put my dog down in Feb and took him to that vet and they charged us $400.00 to put him down... But i have called another vet this morning and have an app. at 2:30 today,, My vet doesnt know much about rabbits so i called somebody eles

Good luck! Hopefully the x-ray will show a minor fracture instead of a full break.

Chances are you will need to have her leg splinted until it heals.

You should also request pain medication like Buprenorphine or Tramadol.

Take a look at this thread, where they discussed some different methods of treating a rabbit with a broken leg. Perhaps you could print it out to bring with you for reference.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53169&forum_id=16&jump_to=719147#p719147

-Dawn

***UPDATES***

We just got back from the vets, He haves an Hairline fracture of tibia no displacement.. She said it should take about 6 weeks to heal. Just keep him in a small area and dont play or let him out until it heals. He is to small for a splint. Because hes so little.. He also got weighted today and he weighs 1.5 lbs. He doesnt need pain medicine because he dont act like hes in pain just acts like a normal bunny.. She recommended no pain medicine...

And it cost us $82.00 for an office call, exam and x-rays. She also aid hes such a nice little bunny and really likes him.. She said also he should have problems breeding in the future and she said shes glad hes not for show because of hes leg.

I would call back and insist on pain medication.

Can you imagine having a hair line fracture and not having any pain medication? Rabbits hide their pain very well as they are prey animals. Even if he is not showing it, he is in pain, and I bet it is awful :(

Metacam is the equivalent to IB-profin for humans and would be better than nothing, but the ones I mentioned above would be much better.

The pain medications should not be too expensive, something like $10-$20.

-Dawn

I would get it but the whole vet bill spent our whole money and she told me if i get it. He wouldnt be able to get around much. And she did a lot to him and he didnt even move or anything just let her do anything to him.. But she said if he starts to act different or acts like hes in pain to give her a call. They are closed now too

Ok, but I agree that a stronger pain med would be useful. In addition, I think you can splint smaller animals. Randy is one of our Infirmary mods and routinely works with wildlife, including baby cottontail bunnies. I think they put splints on them when they're very young too.

How is he today?

Latest posts

Back