Help Breeding issue with my buck!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redthunderrabbits

Reaction score
Previous post : Update at the end

I have a broken Opal buck and I have bred him three times . The first doe had one and killed :(the one she had, we blamed it on the fact she was a first time mother and some times they will do that. The second was my doe that has had litters before and never lost one, she had one baby and I found it dead :?. The third had a litter of five and just would not care for them and they all died:shock:. He is bred to a tort doe first time mother due next week I love this buck and I really want babies fathered by him does anyone have any ideas?? He has a litter every timehe's been breed since he turned six months. Could it be him??Or might I just have the luck of the drawwith my does?

Thank you!!

UPDATE: I had a broken opaldoe bred to my buckgive birth on Saturday she had one fetal giant, one normal sized and one that looked like a peanut. The peanut is still going strong but the others were DOA. I have several rabbit breeder friends that are telling me to keep trying with the buck, my gut is telling me to find someone looking for a nice pet and pet home him. Although I really don't want too. What do you all think of this situation?? Thank you!!

the fetal giants/peanut I would blame on his AND the does genetic makeup.

all the other mishaps is the does.

the first doe, was a first timer, she ate it. That happens A LOT. espeically if she was a younger first time mother. That happens more often.

The second doe, you found it dead.. was it born on the wire exc?

the third you stated SHE wouldn't care for them... he has no responsibility in that.

What is your setup? What is the weather? What are the does conditions?

I would try to rebreed him. None of that is his fault.

Is it still cold (weather) by you? If its cold at night or during the day. The babies could have frozen after birth.

My set up at the time was a heated barn. It is atill cold at night here but the last doe was in the house so I could monitor her closely. Thank you for all of your replies. Does anyone know what I might be able to do too keep a litter?

Try to find a good mom and foster them to her after birth. Thats what I'm going to have to do next week. The last one Did you move her right before she was due?

Latest posts

Back