HELP! Bonding issue/question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envyme

Reaction score
Hi,

I first bought Delilah (Female Dutch) VERY territorial. Months later I went on Bunny dates with Delilah to find her a friend and we did (about 2 months ago). So, now we have 2 Bunnies Peanut (Male) 4 months (2 lbs) and Delilah 9 months (5 lbs)both fixed.

I ran across the cutese dwarf lop baby EVER and had to scoop her up and bring her home. She is not altered and only 2 months old. She is under 2lbs and much smaller than Peanut and Delilah.

I came home and introduced them just to see how they would do. Delilah immediately got aggressive started going after the new one. So,I scooped her up and put the new girl away. Peanut on the other hand likes the new girl.

What should I do? Keep Peanut and Delilah together and seperate from both until the girl is older and altered?

Keep just the new girl and Peanut together but not Delilah?

Or try to keep the new girl on her own and MAYBE in 2 months get her a boyfriend? Don't know if BF will allow another Bunny though.

Delilah hates the smell of the new girl. She totally acted out last night in her condo last night. She peed on Peanut this am. She has been chasing Peanut and him chasing her too.

Please help!! Thanks! :inlove:

Spaying may help! There was a thread I read today about somebody getting their 2 buns neutered and it didnt help!

When I was bonding my two females Jenni was dying to get at Oreo to mount her. Jenni chased Oreo for about half an hour!

Try using a water spray to stop bad behaviour! It has worked for me

Spaying may help! There was a thread I read today about somebody getting their 2 buns neutered and it didnt help!

When I was bonding my two females Jenni was dying to get at Oreo to mount her. Jenni chased Oreo for about half an hour!

Try using a water spray to stop bad behaviour! It has worked for me

wait until the baby is big enouhg to hold her ground against the two

then spay her

and then introduce them on nuetral territory. A trio can be hard to bond but sometimes people like them better due to the fact that if one bun dies there are still 2 to be there for one another. good luck

We too had a very similar situation: Adopted Lily first (a 3mo. old lop). Went to find her a buddy without her, and ended up bringing home a bonded pair (M&F adult mixed breeds). During the whole time that all three were in our home (until bonded as a trio) the pair were kept together in a condo, and Lily was kept in a seperate condo next to the pair. So they could see and smell each other, and even reach each other with their paws, but couldn't hurt each other. And i'd swap their condos every few days. The idea here being that they learn they NEED to live in each other's scent. In attempts to have them all in same space (before spay): Lily would attack both of the pair indescriminately. The male and Lily were both territorial and aggressive with each other, whereas the other female would hide and try to avoid confrentation. We tried multiple times to bond them, but only bites resulted. As per some expert advice we put bonding on hold until Lily was spayed and had recovered. Then we tried again. Now the girls got along fine. Lily also mellowed out and so was friendly toward the male, but he was still being territorial and aggressive. Then almost a week ago (a month and a half after Lily's spay) it seemed as though he just threw in the towel because he tried to groom Lily through the gate, and when I let all three together they were fine... and have been since.

Hi BunnyBunch! Thanks for your reply! I will put the bonding on hold until the (now 2) new ones are altered. I think that is my best bet. Hopefully since the 2 babies are young...when they get altered they will learn to live together with my other 2...if not each has a friend for life :)
XOXO

I would wait till your new bun is older and spayed to introduce. If Peanut already likes her it'll make bonding a trio easier because you'll just have mainly work on bonding to Delilah.

When I got Louie I decided to bond with my pair, Domino and Dolla. Louie got along with Dolla instantly so all I had to do was get Domino and Louie to bond. Made it much easier!

Hope that helps. :)

Latest posts

Back