Help! Benji being tested for ringworm and nodular Myxi

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saffy

Reaction score
9 Ladies Stone Circle - Derbyshire, , United King
SAM_0598.JPG

Can someone please help. Over the last few days we have noticed Benji with a sore eye (not as bad as this) .. we thought it may be a mite bite so treated him with Panacur. Yesterday it was decidedly larger and redder so I got him to the vet today.

She thinks it is ring worm and has pulled some hair from the area (as you can see) to send off to be looked at and meanwhile has given me some Fucithalmit ointment to be applied to both eyelids once a day. (The other is showing slight redness)

She also said it could be nodular myxi.

Prayers please.

Entirely my fault he's not had his this Autumn. The last time I took him to the vets with a problem she wouldn't do the jab as she said the anti biotic jab was stressful enough for him that day. Because I have mobility problems and have had something very major going on in my life I just forgot.

Do you think it looks like myxi ?

Most people know on here how much I adore ben. I'm currently bed bound as I am unable to walk till mid morning due to my back so can't get down to see him.

Poor little Benji (and poor you).

I know there have been a lot of outbreaks of myxi in the UK this year, but not sure if that looks like it or not. Is nodular myxi different to actual myxomatosis?

Has your vet advised you to keep Ben and Luna separate since myxi is so contagious? When do you get the results back?

I will be keeping Benji in my thoughts, and hoping you are both OK!

Jan

Nodular myxi affects the skin and has a better prognosis, the other form develops in to pnemonia.
Do let us know how he is please.
It is a worry as the vacine doesn't guarantee 100% protection.
I live in the south of England and you'll always see it about in the wild population.

It's hard to see from the angle of the photo whether it's a patch on the skin or a nodule. Nodular myxi is literally a raised nodule (lump) like there is a pea under the skin. Ringworm would be more like a patch of sore skin though there could be a little bit of swelling with it too.

Has he had it long? It's looks a bit dramatic with the shaved patch but could he just have rubbed it on something - bunnies heal quick though so a simple injury would heal noticeably in 3-4 days.

Latest posts

Back