Help! Behavioral problems after neuter and spay!!! (Doe= Agressive and Buck=Still wants to mount!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Girl

Reaction score
Washington, DC, District Of Columbia, USA

2) The 2 yr old-small lionhead buck always has been too energetic, interested in mounting does, and out of control. So, I got him neutered a week ago, so that he would calm down and be able to play with other bunnies. After recovering from the surgery, he is still the same. He runs after everybody to mount them, bucks or does. All my rabbits fight so much to run away from him. I heard that bucks will remain interested in mating for a while after neutering. But, I saw that his penis was pink, sticking out a bit, while he was chasing the girls. Is he ever going to be able to play with my other rabbits?

Please give me advices ASAP. I have owned rabbits since I was 9 years old (on and off), and am very good at taking care of them, holding them, brushing them, and mostly, making them get along! My rabbits did not get along initially, but now, most of them were great with their hutch mate, just like siblings. I worked on it. But, I really don't know what to do with the problems that are happening to me know. Thanks.

Rich Girl wrote:
So, I got him neutered a week ago, so that he would calm down and be able to play with other bunnies. After recovering from the surgery, he is still the same.
Give it time - the hormones in his system weren't removed by the surgery. From what I've read, it can take as much as a month before the bunny literally gets it out of his system. Then, I suspect there will be some time to lose learned behaviors as the hormones driving them are gone.

Ok. Thanks. I will wait and see. Waiting is not a problem, as far as the buck is concerned. He has always been caged alone and will remain that way for months until he changes and can be worked on getting a hutchmate. But, have you heard about does becoming mean to others after spaying? That's a big problem to my rabbit herd...

Altering any animal doesn't guarantee that their personality will change or that it'll change to a way we like. Or that bonding will be easier. IMO.

Another question for future is whether I should cage a newly spayed girl with her cage mates after the surgery to avoid their being strange to one another? My girls' hutch is a double deck hutch and has lots of space for three girls.

Also, do you think that Leona got mean and aggressive because 1) she had been caged alone for one week; or 2) she had a traumatic experience in the vet?

A rabbit that I had years ago changed into a nervous and hateful rabbit after having flow in an airplane and transported to my aunt's place when I needed to go out of country. He was sweet and loved me, followed me everywhere, but when I saw him again, he had become a cold rabbit with a cold look in his eyes. His toe was broken from the flight, and he must have an traumatic experience.
Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back