Help ASAP! - No poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just when I thought we were back on track
We r back to pooping small poops again. What do
I need to do? I'm feeding 1/8 pellets twice
Daily, unlimited hay and 1/2 spring lettuce, parsley
And cilontro twice daily. Cut back on pellets??

You could have a fecal test done to check to see if parasites are causing the digestive issues. Deworming may help. If not, you could try a different pellet(gradually transitioning to the new pellet over 2 weeks), or reducing pellet amounts again, to maybe 1/16 cup(or 1 tablespoon) twice a day.

You could have a fecal test done to check to see if parasites are causing the digestive issues. Deworming may help. If not, you could try a different pellet(gradually transitioning to the new pellet over 2 weeks), or reducing pellet amounts again, to maybe 1/16 cup(or 1 tablespoon) twice a day.

Thank you

Sorry, should have asked this in last post.
What would a fecal test run about? I'm
In ND if that helps.

Also, is there a med I can be giving? I know
There was mention of benac (sp) or is
That just for runny poo? No runny poo just small
Turds.

Fecal float tests are usually pretty inexpensive if the vet will do it without having to bring your rabbit in for an office visit. Somewhere around $15. Just call around to the different vets and ask about having the test done to check for parasites, and what they would charge for it. You may even be able to have a large animal clinic for livestock, do it if you can't find a small animal or exotics vet that will do it without the office visit. I would still reduce the pellet amount for now, so your bun doesn't develop GI stasis in the mean time.

Though probiotics can often help with digestive issues, I have also encountered some problems with giving them a few times. It may help but I think one of the other recommendations I made may be more beneficial in resolving your buns problem, especially since you aren't also seeing any mushy poop. Is your rabbit eating very much hay each day? The volume consumed per day, should be a pile of hay about the same size as your rabbit.

Fecal float tests are usually pretty inexpensive if the vet will do it without having to bring your rabbit in for an office visit. Somewhere around $15. Just call around to the different vets and ask about having the test done to check for parasites, and what they would charge for it. You may even be able to have a large animal clinic for livestock, do it if you can't find a small animal or exotics vet that will do it without the office visit. I would still reduce the pellet amount for now, so your bun doesn't develop GI stasis in the mean time.

Though probiotics can often help with digestive issues, I have also encountered some problems with giving them a few times. It may help but I think one of the other recommendations I made may be more beneficial in resolving your buns problem, especially since you aren't also seeing any mushy poop. Is your rabbit eating very much hay each day? The volume consumed per day, should be a pile of hay about the same size as your rabbit.

No, he hasn't been crazy about the hay.
He was on alfalfa hay, switched to Timothy
Grass hay and am in the same pellets.
However when I feed him he comes running
Likes he's starving. By the time I'm done filling
Water and cleaning up the cage it's all gone.

I did reduce the pellets and called the vet.
If I have to bring him in I might wait and
Bring him in at the same time as his
Neauter. Does the poo have to be recent (24 hrs) or
Can it be a few days old? Better if it was recent I'm sure
Though. Just need to clean the cage so know what's
Fresh and what's not.

When you find a place to do the fecal test, ask them how fresh it needs to be and any special instructions in bringing it to them.

Maybe you could try a different kind of grass hay, or even mix in a little alfalfa if he likes it, to hopefully get him more interested in eating the grass. Alfalfa does have to be gradually introduced, so just start off with a small amount. If he's not eating very much hay, that could be the reason he keeps getting the small poops. He needs the fiber from the hay. If all else fails to get him eating hay, you can sometimes find large bags of plain timothy hay feed pellets(used for horses) at feed stores. I had to do that for one of my new rabbits that wasn't used to eating hay, just wouldn't eat it. But he would eat the hay pellets, and gradually he started nibbling on hay and eating more and more, so that now he eats a normal amount. Sometimes you just have to try a bunch of things before you find something that works. just keep an eye on his weight, since he's not getting very many pellets right now and not eating very much hay, he may not be getting enough to maintain his weight. If you start giving a little alfalfa, that should help though.

When you find a place to do the fecal test, ask them how fresh it needs to be and any special instructions in bringing it to them.

Maybe you could try a different kind of grass hay, or even mix in a little alfalfa if he likes it, to hopefully get him more interested in eating the grass. Alfalfa does have to be gradually introduced, so just start off with a small amount. If he's not eating very much hay, that could be the reason he keeps getting the small poops. He needs the fiber from the hay. If all else fails to get him eating hay, you can sometimes find large bags of plain timothy hay feed pellets(used for horses) at feed stores. I had to do that for one of my new rabbits that wasn't used to eating hay, just wouldn't eat it. But he would eat the hay pellets, and gradually he started nibbling on hay and eating more and more, so that now he eats a normal amount. Sometimes you just have to try a bunch of things before you find something that works. just keep an eye on his weight, since he's not getting very many pellets right now and not eating very much hay, he may not be getting enough to maintain his weight. If you start giving a little alfalfa, that should help though.

You have helped so much!! I can't thank you
Enough. I will try and get some alfalfa as I live
In a small town it's hard to get what u want with out
Driving 55-60 miles away.
Maybe I will just do that try they alfalfa hay
Mixed with they hay I'm giving him. I DO NOT
Think it will be a good idea to totally switch
Him over as alfalfa isn't recommend for adult
Rabbits but to get this going I need to do something.

Latest posts

Back