Help ASAP! Bunny won't eat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babybunnies_x

Reaction score
My baby girl Alice is one year old. She's always been healthy and energetic.
Lately she hasn't been eatting, and when she tries to eat some hay she just chews it then drops it out of her mouth.

She also isn't really going to the bathroom.
Cleaned her out yesterday morning and if she was fine, by now it would have been a mess again. but there's only tiny remnants of tiny tiny poop drops that are soft looking.

I'm incredibly worried.
I can't afford to go to a vet, I honestly wish I could I'm so worried but it just so happens everything in my life is falling apart at the same time and Alice is the 15th thing that has gone wrong and has made my life basicly unbearable.

Please help?

*** New addition.

I took her out of the cage while writing this, my husband is playing games on the end of the bed and she just went up to him, flopped over and is now calmly laying down against his leg.

she does like him, but she NEVER lies down for this long when she's out of the cage. She's a huge adventurer and always full of energy.
Her fur also feels a lot softer then usual.

she's not really trying, just if i'm lucky enough to get her to take it she'll tear it up then leave it.

I don't think she's drinking, she's not really peeing either.

This rabbit is going into stasis possibly because of dental issues ( food dropping out of mouth ) You are going to need to get food and fluids into her before her GI tract shuts down entirely.
Things you need :

!) Appointment with a rabbit saavy vet

2) pedialyte (children's electrolyte drink ) ; if she is not drinking enough fluids then syringe a few cc's of pedialyte every few hours. You can also try adding a little apple juice to her bowl to encourage her to drink on her own.

3) liquid baby gas meds (simethicone as the ONLY active ingredient. ( Ex: mylicon gas drops for infants or liquid baby gas x . Give 1 ml and then repeat a ml every hour or so for a total of three doses. You can gently give her tummy rubs to encourage peristalis.

3) You need to get food into her but fluids first. If you do not have critical care then you can use baby food in vegetable flavors , canned pure pumpkin ( not pie filling) ..also give her some wet greens which she may eat. You may also want to try to make a slurry from her pellets ..soaking them in hot water to make a gruel /

4) A probiotic like benebac which can be bought from petsmart or Petco to stabilize the gut flora. Powdered benebac for dogs/cats is OK. Give her one dose.

5) Freshly squeezed pineapple juice ( not canned, frozen , bottled) but fresh from a pineapple ..give a few cc's several times per day.

if she has stasis or gut slowdown then this type of treatment can resolve it over time, however if the stasis is because of a dental issue you will HAVE to see a vet. She is your responsibility , this is an emergency and she could easily die .
Don't wait for a vet appt but start the above treatment ASAP

Vet list

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12548&forum_id=9

articles from library

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28622&forum_id=10

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11901&forum_id=10

She sounds very sick :(

Good Luck !

Oh no.
Oh god no I seriously hope that's not true.
The reason I can't take her to a vet is I have less than no money and just lost my job, luckily I bought her a big bg of food and shavings with my last pay, but I have nothing left. Not a penny, and I owe money to living costs, debts and things that decided to just pop up, that I'm also not able to pay for.

Angieluv's post is great. I think the bunny needs to go to an emergency vet if you can't do those things yourself. The bunny is very ill and could be suffering. The emergency vet may take the bunny as an emergency and have you surrender it to the humane society. I am not trying to be harsh but the fact that she's less active than usual means that something is very wrong. Lethargy in a rabbit, combined with not eating/pooping/peeing, is an emergency. She is in a lot of pain. It would be the best thing for the rabbit if you could take it to an emergency vet and ask them to treat her, even if that means you will have to give her up. Bunnies can be very expensive pets because when they get sick, they get very sick.

She needs to see a vet.
Put it on credit, Borrow money from a friend family, doesn't matter, she is your pet, part of the family and shes sick. Take her to a vet. And if youre still not willing to take her to a vet, then surrender her to somebody who will, just as Claire suggested.

Follow the directions Angieluv has provided to keep her stable in the mean time, until you can get her to a vet.

yes, she does need to see a vet.
Until you can do so, get baby gas-ex, (simethicone) and feed *LOTS* of green leafys to get her eating and pooping. There a good article on the house rabbit society: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html Is there anything she's eaten recently that could have thrown things off? I would agree with the others that it could be teeth, but without seeing the bunny you can't say that 100%. You can try syringing water, and if you can get it, Oxbow critical care. YOu can try rubbing her tummy, in case its gas, and that'll help her *feel* a little better.
Idealing, the vet would give her sub-q fluids (really not that expensive, like $15 when I took mine it) and it totally cleared up her stasis as it was caused by what mine were eating and they were getting dehydrated then as well and everything got backed up. Sounds like your bunnies could be dental issues, but maybe not. I guess yeah, about what Angieluv said.

How is the bunny?
Even if you do not go to the vet today you need to get fluids and food into her to keep her system going . If she has dental issues this may have prevented her from eating certain food like hay and veggies and possibly pellets . If you soften the pellets and feed her soft foods then this will get her system moving and save her life.

If the dental issuesprevent the rabbit from eating..the rabbit's system shuts down and the rabbit dies.

If she does have dental issues and you do provide fluid and food to her you can prevent her system from shutting down.

You need to take the steps provided by me above in order to keep her from dying
She will not get better on her own.

She may be in stasis and if you help her get through it she may be able to make it

Keep her hydrated. Soft foods are best right now. Prince had dental issues and I had to get him to the vet. He didn't eat at all except soft food and I had to syringe him water, even give him sub-q fluids to keep him hydrated. I agree with angieluv. She is very good with her advice.

When Prince had the dental issues his eyes would have white goop in them and I was cleaning his eyes every other day or so. After he had his molars trimmed he resumed his normal eating/drinking/pooping/peeing.

You can do this, just keep her hydrated. Hydration before nutrition.

It is scary when they go into stasis and you don't know what to do. But people on here are very helpful, they were very helpful with my rabbit Prince before he passed away from another issue.

how do I give her fluids if I don't have a syringe?
I did at one point we threw it out a while ago after having used it.

not trying to be rude or negative but you really should consider giving her up if only to keep her alive.. the longer she goes without eating and drinking the less likely she will be saved i understand you love her and cant afford to do what needs to be done but you need to love her enough to get the help she needs even if that means losing her

Rosalie wrote:
not trying to be rude or negative but you really should consider giving her up if only to keep her alive.. the longer she goes without eating and drinking the less likely she will be saved i understand you love her and cant afford to do what needs to be done but you need to love her enough to get the help she needs even if that means losing her

Giving herto a rescue is something to consider.:(it would be even better if it was specifically a rabbit rescue

A pharmacist can give you a few syringes and probably won't even charge you ..

1cc syringe to give the gas medicine

a 3 or 5 cc syringe to slowly syringe pineapple juice or pedialyte

a 10cc syringe to give food ..

all food and fluids should be gvens carefully so she will not aspirate

if she feels cold to your touch ..probably needs to be warmed up before giving her fluids and food

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15552&forum_id=10

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=56833&forum_id=10

A lot of pet stores sell syringes for feeding too. I wouldn't give sub-q fluids without the proper supplies, including sterile saline for injection.

You can syringe her water or pedialyte orally to help with hydration. A clean ear or eye dropper can also be used. You just put the tip of the syringe (without the needle) or the dropper behind her front teeth. You can do this with her on her back if that's the only way you can handle her well, but it is best if she's belly toward the floor. If she's interested in drinking, she'll swallow most of the water. If she won't swallow the water, all of it will come out. That would be a bad sign.

Keeping her warm is a good point I didn't think about. Her ears shouldn't feel warm or cold--just near your own temperature. Simply giving her a towel fresh from the dryer to snuggle with can make her feel a lot better. Heat helps with GI pain too.

This really does sound like dental issue that will need to see a vet to get a 100% repair. In the mean time try carrot baby food and soften some pellets in warm water, maybe she will eat them on her own and you won't need the syringes. If you get enough fluids mixed into the pellets plus the baby food then the hydration will be a little less critical because she will be intaking it with her food.

well she's eatting and drinking on her own now, I did a lot to get her to drink, it wasn't easy but it seems she's drinking normally again, I tried softening her food and she won't touch it, instead picking up some of the hay and dry food pellets left on the ground.
and she's peeing and pooping again, not pooping back to standards but still.

It's good that she's not in a critical state anymore. She will need to be seen by a vet though, so that they can treat whatever's causing her to not want to eat. I too think it is a tooth issue. Softer food should help, unless she's totally turned off by it, but she might not know what it is. Some of the pain from tooth problems can be due to sharp points on the back molars cutting into the tongue or cheeks, which would be painful but might not be solved by giving soft food.

I am very upset with the help I got here.

You were all wrong. And I was given NO other suggestions.
She started eatting, defecating, drinking and acting completely normal again all on her own. The only thing I could do was soften her food and encourage eatting and drinking so I did and she just got better.

I took her to a vet when we finally had a little money, and found out that I spent 75 dollars for the **** vet to tell me she's fine.

Latest posts

Back