Help and tips with taming my 2 rescue buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhi Rhi

Reaction score
Hey. :) I've kept bunnies for well over 10 years but Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny are my first 2 rescue bunnies! They are beautiful boys and get on lovely together. They're not aggressive and they quite happily hop up to the cage doors when they see me coming. They were badly neglected when they were babies and up until a few months ago they would scream when being picked up! :( The foster carer who had them before I adopted them managed to get them eating out of her hands, which I have been carrying on doing.

She picked them up when she popped them into the carrier box to bring them to mine but they put up a big fuss and poor Benjamin was cowering with his ears flat to his back! I haven't attempted to pick them up since I got them which was on Sunday afternoon but I have been hand feeding them every day. I give them their pellets in the morning, then they have hay through the day and I then hand feed them their fresh greens when it gets dark. They're very happy munching away but if I slowly lift my hand to give them a stroke they both run off really quick!

I'm just wondering if you have any tips. They're between 1 and 2 (we're not sure of their exact age) also which is harder because they're not babies. Should I persevere with what I'm doing? I go out and talk to them and spend time with them for 30 minutes at a time about 4-5 times a day. Is there anything else I could be doing?

Thanks. :bunnybutt:

It sounds good, though maybe you should stick with touching their noses or whiskers rather than raising your hand. It's great you've taken on these guys. I'm sure time will make things better.

With some bunnies if you just sit on the floor doing your own thing and ignore them long enough, they come over to check you out.

They're outdoor bunnies and there's a lot of snow on the ground right now... I could always just get in their run with them? I can sit up in it. :p It's 6ft7" long, 4ftwide and 2ft5" tall!

If it´s possible to spend time with them in the run that would be great. Just ignore them and they`ll come to you to investigate. Keep some treats handy to feed them, mine love been fed by me at their level, particularly banana, they go crazy and jump all over me. They look lovely and I´m sure with time and patience they´ll come round.

Probably but we all understand. Spending time with your buns wherever they are is normal for all of us.... although I must admit sitting outside in the freezing cold and snow could be seen to be a bit weird for your neighbours lol

I was going to suggest the ignore method. I'm from the mindset that letting them watch you move about your day but not attempting to pet them helps to bond with them. I sat on the floor and read, watched TV or surfed RO :) rabbits are curious animals eventually will come up to see you. I also think watching you go about your day and being able to smell you helps too. And of course offering treats so they associate something positive with you is great as well.
Not sure how possible any of these things are being outside but that is my 2 cents :)

I meant that the neighbours would probably find it even weirder you sitting in the run with the bunnies. Great that he´s let you nose rub. I find that I like to spend a little time on the floor with mine every day. I was lying on the floor last night and they will happily climb all over me and sniff and lick my clothes. They are much happier when you are at their level. Í´ve just finished feeding them some dill while sitting on the floor and they are happy to let you stroke and touch them when they´re occupied eating. I´m sure that the more used to you they get, the better they will accept you.

Hey guys. :) Yeah I need to try and find a way of getting down to their level that doesn't involve me getting absolutely frozen! Hah. I was out with them not long ago and they were propping their front paws on my knee whilst I fed them some pellets. :) I gave them each a nose rub right before they had their pellet off me. :) Awwww. My babies!!

I have read books and played on my phone sitting crouched down in our bunny run many times!! But it was in better weather :p I sit on a wooden block so you could keep yourself off the ground with something like that or picnic blanket. Good luck :)

That´s one of my favourites when they climb on you to get nearer to the food. They do that with me when I feed them their bit of banana, then they´re all over me and pushing each other out of the way, it does make me laugh. Í don´t even mind that they´re doing it just to get to the grub, I just love that feeling.

catzeyezuk: I know, it's so much easier in the summer! Once the spring is here they'll be allowed to hop around the garden and I will quite often be sat outside with them :) Where abouts in the UK are you from? Are yours outdoor bunnies too?

Chrisdoc: Ah, it's just the cutest! I'm glad they're comfortable enough to do that though. :)

I'm going to try feeding my shy bun some treats by hand and see if that helps him. He will mess with my clothes if I'm in the bunny pen, and sometimes lets me pet him, but mostly will take off. He's just a bit on the shy side.

Great ideas !

I've had the 2 bunnies since September. Before I got these 2, I had an enormous English Lop that I found running loose in front of my office (Bob the Bunny). Sadly Bob died this summer. He was the coolest, most mellow bunny I have ever known.

Mac, a tan/orange mini Rex, is really mellow and happy to be petted and held. He will sit and my lap and snooze while I'm watching TV.

Molly, a black mini Rex, is not so happy about either. He is in general much more nervous and energetic than Mac. I don't think he's afraid (he will grab my pants leg and pull on it if he can!), just a bit shy. But he loves loves LOVES bananas.

They're both about 9 or 10 months old. Molly is getting fixed soon when I have the $$. He was so tiny when I got him that I wanted him to get bigger (and yes, I thought he was a she). Mac was fixed a few months ago.

And PS: My parents are transplants from Sheffield, and I still have a lot of family there. :)

Last edited:
Back