HELP!! 4 day old bun doesn't seem to be eating/getting fed!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabaylon

Reaction score
Ok so i just went to check on Ashley and the babies and I noticed one is SIGNIFICANTLY skinnier than the others and doesn't have that ping-pong belly. I don't know what to do!!! The worst part is, I am BROKE as a joke for another week!!! I read the formula for making supplemental milk but I can't afford to go and buy the colostrom; i just happen to have a bottle of cat milk though. Do you think I can give this to it, just to give it a fighting chance? Do I separate it and become its mama?? Or must I sit and watch the circle of life unfold? PLEASE ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!:pray:

Is the mum feeding the others? If so they best option would be to hold him to mum to drink - much higher chance of success then any supplemental milk. Hold mum in a sitting position and the hold him to a teat. Try it 2-3 times a day. It can be a bit easier if you've got someone to help.

It is possible that there is a reason he's not feeding properly and that he may have something wrong with him and this is just nature taking his course.

What I would do is to take mom out, bring her someplace secure where you can take the baby and set it under mom to get some extra feedings. Might have to hold mom still for a few minuted to give the baby a chance to get some one on one milk time. Only takes a couple of minutes for its belly to fill up though.

i've heard of some rabbits refusing the runt before, maybe this is one of those circumstances? or is that another animal i'm thinking of?

How is the baby today?

Please tell us the breed of the parents. Certain breeds have genetic issues that are apparent at birth and affect the babies survivability.

As was suggested, hold the baby to the mother's teat and see if it will suckle. If it doesn't or can't there is not much you can do at this age. It may be unable to digest or process the food, so even supplimenting won't work.

Welll folks, the outcome is not good. The little bun passed away the following day. We tried all your suiggestions but poor lil guy/gal just didn't have the will to go on, i think. But, the remaining four are thriving! Circle of life, I suppose :pray:

I'm sorry he didn't make it. I suspect there was a genetic or other abnormality that prevented his development. I'm glad to hear the others are doing so well... (You could share some photo's of them if you have time! We love baby pictures!)

Latest posts

Back