Hello!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KittyCatAsh

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm glad to be here - I'm waiting to adopt a young bun and I'm here to lurk and read and learn in case we get approved and he gets to come home with us next month!

I'm a vet tech student with a house full of pets, but this will be my first rabbit. I'm super excited though! I tried to use the breed ID key, but the pictures wouldn't load.

Would this little dork be a lionhead? He's fluffy around the face, but he doesnt seem to have longer fur on his hindquarters. They estimate that he's about 7 weeks old. Also, is this coloration tort or calico or something similar to what it would be in cats?

Thanks for any info :) I'm hoping to do a lot of learning and give Owen an awesome home!
20181023_130834.jpg 20181023_130829.jpg 20181023_162224.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! He is so cute! His coloring looks a little bit like my rabbits and mine is part harlyquin.

Thanks a lot guys!

We don't get to bring him home until the first week of December, but I'm a tad overly enthusiastic, so this happened today lol

Still have to furnish it, but I'm super excited!20181103_145941.jpeg20181103_150004.jpeg

Something you may want to consider is how bunny will get in and out of the cage. Not sure if you plan to keep the cage raised up like that but if so, that isn't ideal.

When bunny is out for exercise, he should have easy access into and out of his cage. It helps them to feel secure knowing they can retreat to their cage at will.

Carrying bunny in and out of the cage isn't going to work. It only works while bunny is a compliant baby. That changes with age and bunny will quickly come to resent being forced out of the cage and then chased to be put back in. Instead, you can either create a series of steps so bunny can get in and out OR figure out how to have the cage on floor level (ideal).

Something you may want to consider is how bunny will get in and out of the cage. Not sure if you plan to keep the cage raised up like that but if so, that isn't ideal.

When bunny is out for exercise, he should have easy access into and out of his cage. It helps them to feel secure knowing they can retreat to their cage at will.

Carrying bunny in and out of the cage isn't going to work. It only works while bunny is a compliant baby. That changes with age and bunny will quickly come to resent being forced out of the cage and then chased to be put back in. Instead, you can either create a series of steps so bunny can get in and out OR figure out how to have the cage on floor level (ideal).
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately in our current house on the floor isn't an option. In May we'll be moving (after our college program has ended) and we'll be able to accommodate the room for the cage on the floor.

I'll also need to make a cover for the top when it goes on the floor, as I'm sure my cats will end up inside it otherwise.

How big of an issue is it? Like, shouldn't get a rabbit and subject him to that at all, or not ideal, but okay for the time being?

If you’re worried about your cats getting in, most cars would still be able to get in there even with it up higher, you might need to put a top on it either way.
If you really aren’t able to make room on the floor, like blue eyes said you can create some steps and a doorway so bunny can choose when and if to explore :) (steps are better than a ramp imo)

[QUOTE="KittyCatAsh, post: 1103679, member: 25079"
How big of an issue is it? Like, shouldn't get a rabbit and subject him to that at all, or not ideal, but okay for the time being?[/QUOTE]

Assuming you get your rabbit at about 8 weeks of age, I'd say bunny may tolerate the forcing in & out for about a month or two. After that, hormones may kick in. Between hormones and being forced (carried in and out) you will be setting yourself up for a perturbed rabbit and one that learns to distrust you (you being the one constantly forcing him to go places against his will). For returning him to his cage, you will end up having to chase him about to catch him because it won't take him long to figure out why you are approaching him. That, of course, won't help your relationship with him. Steps are going to be needed well before May to avoid that negativity.

By May, he will be 7 months of age and considered an adult. Time goes fast. A series of boxes may serve as steps.

I was going to say that if the cage pictured does go down on the floor, it should have a roof at least over the 2nd level whether or not there are cats. Rabbits can easily hop over a single grid height.

Thanks guys. A roof for the cage is currently in the works :) I'll also see about rigging some stairs or talk to the other half and see if we could disassemble the dog crate for the time being to free up some room.

On the floor and with the roof I definitely anticipate the cats jumping up on top of the roof - do you think this will be overly traumatizing for the bun?

I'm not too worried about the cats myself, years ago when we had hamsters the cats liked to watch them but were basically terrified when the hams tried to sniff them. It's the other half who's worried they'll bother bun.

And just for fun, here are a couple more pictures from our visits with Owen! He's roughly 7/8 weeks old :) 20181029_093941.jpeg20181029_094544.jpeg20181029_134732.jpeg20181029_094956.jpeg

He is stunning! My rabbit doesn't mind our dog (5 pounds- a very small dog) because Bugs knows he is bigger than him but if he sees my sister's cat or our French bulldog he will run away. I dont let him ever come into direct contact with the French bulldog or cat but he has seen them. The only risk with our little dog is Bugs humping him. I have heard about rabbits literally dying when laying eyes on an animal such as a cat or large dog although I dont know if this is exactly the case. I would avoid the rabbit being able to see the cats at all if that is an option. Good luck!

Back