Hello!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, my name is Meredith. I'm a 17 year old girl from NY, and I am totally new to rabbits. I have a small animal rescue, and when we came across Shiloh, well... my family and I all fell in love with him. My father had a rabbit some 50 years ago or so, whom he adored, but he hardly remembers anything about rabbit care. Both my mother and I are new to rabbits in general. So I've come here!

Shiloh is an adorable 2 year old male dwarf; sort of an orangy brown color with a small black splotch here and there. I have no clue what to call it! Could anyone tell me? He's shy, but very sweet. He is slowly becoming more accustomed to us, but we are taking great care not to push him too hard. He was an abused bunny when we got to him. There is a woman in our area that begs animals for free off craigslist, then sells them for anywhere between $50-$200! Well, she wasn't planning on selling this little man. No, he was a present for her 2 year old autistic son's upcoming birthday! Well, after the kid got royaly beat up after he picked up Shiloh around the middle and screamed in his face for 2 minutes solid, Momma realized it wasn't such a great idea after all.

So now, Shiloh is in a much calmer home, with no screaming 2 year olds, and the youngest human is me. I live with both my parents, my maternal grandmother, and my fiance/boyfriend whom I have dated since just before I turned 16. We also have 5 rats, a hamster, and 4 cats (and a pond full of fish in the back yard). 2 of the cats are on the same floor of the house as the rabbit, but all other animals are in completely different spaces.

Here's a pic of our new animal child at his old home. :)

IMG_0746.jpg

-Mere (pronounced Mare, like a horse. That's what people call me. Just Mere.:) )

Hey Mere,

Welcome to the forum.

This is certainly a good place to learn about bunnies, make sure you check out the Bunny 101 forum and also the Rabbit Health forum because they both hold invaluable resources that can help you.

I don't know too much about that colouring, but it may be a mismarked harlequin. If you wanted to know for sure, you could post a pic in the Rabbitry forum and they would be able to tell you with more certainty that I can.

Shiloh is adorable, really, lovely, and you've done such a good thing taking him into your home. I'm sure he knows how lucky he is.

I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Take care,

Tracy

Hello & Welcome! Shiloh is adorable! Pretty markings. I'm glad you too him in! You've come to the right place to learn about everything rabbit related and meet other bunny slaves. :)

Thanks! I've been doing a lot of reading here and I'm learning all sorts of things about buns I didn't know! I found this place through the GooseMoose forum, and figured I'd give it a try, since their rabbit forum isn't very active. I'm glad I did!

Hey Mere!

I am also on goosemoose and I have 4 pet rats, 3 bunnies, and 1 foster bunny. What is your forum name on goosemoose :).

Do you have any more pictures of Shiloh? I have to say, he REALLY looks like my Morgan in body-shape, who is a Harlequin mix. I would love to see more pictures of Shi :D.

I bet Shiloh is so happy to be safe and loved now, and off that nasty cedar bedding!

Here is a picture of my Morgan in sort of the same picture angle....

l_e31fbcececa45bff70df95dccfcb058a.jpg

It's greatyou are finding loads of useful things here.

It might be helpful for you to put your location in your profile, because if you come to ask advice at any point, it is different depending where you live.

Hey UnderGunFire! I recognize you! I'm Cryllin_Myrrh over there. :) I don't know why I reverted to my old online name, but I did. Anyway, you're right! They do look very similar! I don't have any other pics of him as of right now, but I'll be sure to get some as soon as he gets a better cage. We haven't been able to get him a new one yet, and the one he's in now is just embarassing! Nope, it simply will not do. :disgust:

Tracy - Thanks for the advice! I'll go do that now. :)

Well, NIC cages are the way to go, Mere :biggrin2:! I just finished my bunny room at our new house. I bought 4 boxes of NIC panels, paint & supplies, lino tiles, wooden dowels, door clips for the NIC cages, wood panels for the shelves in the cages, a new area carpet, and a few other small things for about $120! So, NIC cages are definitely cheap and the way to go now-a-days....you can build one for about $30...that is larger then pet store cages and much cheaper :).

undergunfire wrote:
Well, NIC cages are the way to go, Mere :biggrin2:! I just finished my bunny room at our new house. I bought 4 boxes of NIC panels, paint & supplies, lino tiles, wooden dowels, door clips for the NIC cages, wood panels for the shelves in the cages, a new area carpet, and a few other small things for about $120! So, NIC cages are definitely cheap and the way to go now-a-days....you can build one for about $30...that is larger then pet store cages and much cheaper :).

Wow... that is pretty cheap. Where can you get the pannels? I'm sure we have everything else you listed lying around here. We even have tiles left from when we did the kitchen floor a good 10 years ago! :D

I was gonna say.. your bun put me in mind of our Mallory, a Harlequin Dutch mix.. who is in fact Amy/Undergunfire's Marlin's brother..

yuck.jpg

Welcome to the forum. I've got a soft spot for those harlequin mixes. Karla was on the floor of a shelter to be euthanized when I came in at the right time. She was a stray, had bare spot of skin on her face, and fleas.

Love the look of Shiloh. Hooray for helping him.

Where can you get the pannels?
They are available at Target in the area where they have storage shelving type stuff. The ones they have in the storeare fora 6-cube storage system so you can make a pretty large cage from just one box but if you are going to make a top and second level, I'd buy 2 boxes. They are around $12-14 a box. I think Walmart also has them. They even come in different colors. My Target has chrome (more expensive), black, blue and white. I use zip ties instead of connectors to put them together. There is a section on NIC cubes in the bunny 101 library.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28197&forum_id=17

Welcome to the forum! So glad you rescued this adorable little guy.:)

Latest posts

Back