hello!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamafern

Reaction score
north vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
lets try this again....my first post i closed by accident!

we are a loving family of 4.. 2 adults, 2 children and a sometimes dog(willow lives upstairs but likes us better..more crumbs n the floor toeat!) we live in north vancouver BC.

we are soon to be the adoptive family of a 4 year old brown and blackbunny named "rabbit" i believe that he is a mini lop, but i truly dontknow for sure. i am hoping to verify that once i get him and take somepictures...maybe someone here can help?

He was the beloved family pet until they moved to a building that wouldnot allow animals, so alas he is living in a small outdoor hutch at afriends farm until they found a better home for him.

we just happened to mention that we wanted to get a bunny whilevisiting and looking at the farm animals and they said he needed a goodhome, so he will arrive on thursday!

i am preparing for him by researching nutrition and housing and i amamazed at how much info there is and how much i didnt know. i am gladthat i didnt just get him before knowing what is safe to eat and howsensitive they are... so here i am to learn even more and gain someinsight into these amamzing sensitive little beings.

we have 2 small children, and i know that rabbits are not just petsthat can be held and squeezed and picked up.. that they are ratherdelicate, but he is also a very affectionate little guy. i am planningon letting the kids hold him only if he hops onto their laps on thefloor ..

he will have a large indoor home with lots of timothy grassand fresh organic veggies and fruit and also have the run of the housewhen we are home.. i think that we will build it ourselves, but i amnot quite sure yet. he is arriving in a small temporary cage.

i am so excited to welcome this being into our family. i know that he will bring much joy to us all.

i am also looking for resources for good rabbit food and productsbecause from my quick search at a few local shops, nothing seems up tostandard.. any sugestions would be welcome!

:heart:.fern & folk

Hi Fern and welcome!

Its so great that youve done your research before bringing a bunny home. Sounds like he is one lucky little guy.

Im sure once you get him home, one of our breeders should be able tohelp you figure out his breed. Feel free to post a pic in the rabbitrysection.

Also, one thing I would recommend when you pick him up is to get someof his current food from the owners when you pick him up. That way, ifyou plan to change his diet at all you can do it gradually.Heres agreat thread on feeding/hay/veggies etc:Feedingyour Rabbit Q&A

And for a cage, have you seen the NIC condos that a lot of bunny ownersbuild? They are a very cheap way to build an indoor home thats muchlarger than store bought cages. Heres a thread on those:NICcages

Again, welcome and feel free to ask lots of questions!

Haley

thank you for the suggestions.. unfortunately hewas moved from his first home and is now living with a bunch of otherbunnies in an outdoor hutch (but its only been a few days) and i doubtthat they are feeding him what he is used to or that they know what hewas eating, but i suppose i can use whatever they are feeding him thereand wean him that way... good suggestion though. off to ask morequestions!

Hi! Welcome to Rabbits Only!

We're always happy to have people on this site that take the time toresearch about bunnies before bringing any home. There is somuch more to rabbits than most people think (I know I was surprised atwhat I learned here!)...so it's always good policy to do yourresearch. It's wonderful that you're doing that and gettingall nice and prepared for your boy! :)

I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about him! :D

Hugs!

Rosie*

P.S. Haley...you beat me to it!! I was about to post all that, and you already did! Hehe!!

Latest posts

Back