Hello, this is Chonker

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeplace8

Reaction score
We found this bunny in our backyard
Its clearly someones pet who was dumped outside. We have posted flyers around the neighborhood with no response. She is very sweet and friendly! Any one know what breed she may be or how old?20210511_151917_HDR.jpg20210515_093648_HDR.jpg

It's hard to tell age from these photos, but he/she does look likely fully grown. To get the best assessment of health and approximate age, you should try and find an exotic vet in your area who has experience with working with rabbits. I don't know if you intend to keep the rabbit, but the following topic gives an outline of a diet: Rabbit diet.

Even though the rabbit has been outdoors, there's no need to bathe or clean the rabbit at all either, especially based on the photos.

Thank you so much! I plan to bring her to vet this week. Im so in love with her! She rolls over and lets me pat her belly!! She did just smell like onions...which I saw meant shes of maturity! My cat must have scared her. The car loves her though! She is so clean! He ears and her fur...its crazy!

Any idea what breed she could be?

Thank you so much! I plan to bring her to vet this week. Im so in love with her! She rolls over and lets me pat her belly!! She did just smell like onions...which I saw meant shes of maturity! My cat must have scared her. The car loves her though! She is so clean! He ears and her fur...its crazy!

Any idea what breed she could be?
Hi Chonker, love the name, she is pretty!

She could be young Flemish Giant or mix. Or can be fully grown, but to me she looks like 6-8 months old and should grow bigger, to her full size by 18 months. I can't guarantee that is true since it is hard too tell from just 2 pics, but that is my impression.

I guess you are not going to part with her, so get that hay and feed her hay most of time, read about diet too, don't feed Iceberg, but some leafy greens are okay.

Are you sure it's a she? How did you know that

I guess I dont k
Hi Chonker, love the name, she is pretty!

She could be young Flemish Giant or mix. Or can be fully grown, but to me she looks like 6-8 months old and should grow bigger, to her full size by 18 months. I can't guarantee that is true since it is hard too tell from just 2 pics, but that is my impression.

I guess you are not going to part with her, so get that hay and feed her hay most of time, read about diet too, don't feed Iceberg, but some leafy greens are okay.

Are you sure it's a she? How did you know that

I dont know if its a she I guess. I am too afraid to hurt her by checking! I got the hay and shes eaten a ton!! Just keeps eating it! I will be taking her to the vet this week so I will have them check. I know flemish giants get huge! I kinda hope shes one. They seem like awesome little bunnies!

Onion smell is common of territorial poo's. Both fixed and unfixed rabbits can emit that smell, though it is less common in fixed rabbits, I believe (though I have a spayed female and she still often has those onion smell poos).

Beyond "this rabbit looks like mine", I'm not good at breed identification. The coat and shape does align with what I see from Flemish Giants, so it's possible your rabbit is actually young and could grow a lot more. Sometimes ear size and back leg size can be indicative if more growing is coming, but a rabbit vet will be able to give a better assessment.

Re: your rabbit and cat, be sure to monitor whenever they interact. Cat "playing" with a rabbit can be dangerous, so even if there are playful, good intentions from either party, if you suspect it could be a safety issue, separation is needed. There are definitely instances where cats and rabbits can get along. Here are a few short readings on it: Cats and Rabbits | House Rabbit Society Rabbits & Cats | House Rabbit Society

I guess I dont k

I dont know if its a she I guess. I am too afraid to hurt her by checking! I got the hay and shes eaten a ton!! Just keeps eating it! I will be taking her to the vet this week so I will have them check. I know flemish giants get huge! I kinda hope shes one. They seem like awesome little bunnies!
Flemmies are amazing but I can't guarantee, I just think she or he will grow a bit more. Onion smelling poos are marking territory, so I guess older than 3 months if male and older than 5 months if a female.

You can check if she has testicles, hold her on your lap as in pic#1 and with one hand check underneath without flipping over, that is because male rabbits are very smart and can retract testicles so you won't see them. When they are relaxed and not expecting examination you will probably find them easily.

Or you can do full check following instructions on this thread, there are clear photos and it's not a baby you should see clearly the pink part coming out or not when you apply some pressure

>> Sexing rabbit pictures!

Here's another link to rabbit-savvy vets check Massachussetts there sure you will find one locally

>> Vet List | House Rabbit Society

Flemmies are amazing but I can't guarantee, I just think she or he will grow a bit more. Onion smelling poos are marking territory, so I guess older than 3 months if male and older than 5 months if a female.

You can check if she has testicles, hold her on your lap as in pic#1 and with one hand check underneath without flipping over, that is because male rabbits are very smart and can retract testicles so you won't see them. When they are relaxed and not expecting examination you will probably find them easily.

Or you can do full check following instructions on this thread, there are clear photos and it's not a baby you should see clearly the pink part coming out or not when you apply some pressure

>> Sexing rabbit pictures!

Here's another link to rabbit-savvy vets check Massachussetts there sure you will find one locally

>> Vet List | House Rabbit Society
So we checked the sex...its definitely a girl. However...it only has 4 small white teeth...there are not other teeth...is this normal?

She is so cute! She could have some Flemish Giant in her, but normally their ears are a little bit bigger.
Rabbits only have 4 front teeth that you can see. They have lots of molars, but a vet has to check those with a special tool.

Yes 4 front teeth it's normal, you won't be able to see back teeth without a special tool, please don't try and leave her be, only a vet can check her back teeth but I am pretty sure they are fine

Latest posts

Back