Hello! New here with lots of annoying newbie questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The laundry room would have the distinct disadvantage of the noise of the dryer -- something often used to "stress-bond" rabbits.

If you want to enjoy and interact with your rabbit(s) and have them be part of the family, then secluding them in a rarely used room is counter-productive. It may seem like a good way to use extra space, but I rather think it would be regretted.

Finding a space where people tend to be... whether reading, on computer or TV, or even eating, is a better option. Rabbits need to be where the people are in order to become accustomed to you, interact, and be part of the family.

I don't know your situation with your cats but I've seen a number of RO members who have cats and rabbits that get along just fine. Perhaps they could chime in.

Will your rabbit be feeling safe living next to the snake room

Two of my cats I think will be fine, they don't really seem to have much prey drive and one is fat and lazy. The youngest one has a fair amount of prey drive and I wouldn't want to tempt her too much. The 4th one is actually the most accepting of other animals cat but he likes to play with them and that can include grabbing them by the neck, pulling them down and bunny kicking them with his back feet. It's all in good fun and my two youngest dogs play and get along with him but I'm sure that's not anything a bunny would enjoy, so I wouldn't give him unsupervised access either. I think my oldest and youngest dog should do well with one but would need to watch my middle dog. Nobody would be getting free access until they had time to get used to each with barriers and supervision and I could see how everyone seemed to get along.

I have 49 snakes, most of whom are in their own bedroom (I breed them) and none are eating rabbit sized. But I figure they probably don't help my chances with a rescue, though I'm actually the least concerned about issues with them of any of my current animals.

Ah! You've got a corn! One of my favorite species. I've got 18 corns. Very nice looking snake!

Thanks, I checked out that link, it was helpful.

I would say that when I tried building a wooden cage my bunnies ate it to pieces and their was no way to stop it (they now thankfully have metal). I would say the laundry room is a great idea but just wanted to point something out. My male bunny as a baby was very sensitive to detergent and they can have allergies so the laundry room ans this May cause some unexpected allergies. Also your room will become cluttered with bunny stuff and it may be hard to do loundry.

(Just because a breeder happens to recommend something, doesn't mean it is gospel. The floor space of a DCN is still well short of the minimum. It should only be considered do-able if it is left open for 5-6 hours per day. )
My dogs our sweet and I think I will free roam my bunnies once they are spayed and neutered. What do you recommend flemme bunny proofing?

Well, I've been talking to the localish rabbit rescue and have decided to foster for them. They have a really great program, supply an enclosure and supplies and pay for any medical expenses for their fosters. Be a great way to help them out and try out caring for a rabbit before committing a lot of money to one. I'm not sure when I'll go get my new foster(s) yet but probably within the next two weeks.

I really would love to foster, but I would get too attached to the rabbit!
Just wanted to mention that my rabbit is outdoors, and we are building a large run (5' x 8')/hutch (5' x 5'). He is also a male Mini Rex. He is sort of litter trained, but since he just got neutered it will be easier to finish litter training him. I use pine pellets for his litter and they work great!

I really would love to foster, but I would get too attached to the rabbit!
Just wanted to mention that my rabbit is outdoors, and we are building a large run (5' x 8')/hutch (5' x 5'). He is also a male Mini Rex. He is sort of litter trained, but since he just got neutered it will be easier to finish litter training him. I use pine pellets for his litter and they work great!

Yeah, I really want to be a foster for kittens or puppies, I work from home with a very flexible schedule, so it would actually be easier for me to take bottle babies than many other people but my husband says no for that very reason. I don't think I'd have a huge problem loving them and then sending them to new homes, though a foster fail might happen every now and then. But husband says he'd get too attached and never be able to get rid of any of them. Thankfully he's actually not a huge fan of rabbits, so I don't think he'll have the same problem with them.

If I could go back and do it all again perfectly from the start, as you have the oppertunity to do, this is how I'd do it.

1. Desex your rabbits BEFORE you start having problems.
The benefits include:
- Prevention of cancer (bunnies have a huge chance of cancer without it)
- Toilet training is so much easier.
- Agression towards other bunnies and people is almost eliminated.

2. Make them free range bunnies.
I mean why not? check out lennon the bunny on youtube for any help you might need with this (bunnyproofing).
I know it sounds daunting but..
- You'll have super tame bunnies that will never end up rotting away in an outdoor cage because you leave cleaning and care get out of control. (all too common, I think the majority of once well cared for bunnies end up sitting in the backyard in a filthy tiny cage).

3. Bunny proof the backyard and get a dog door.
- Rabbits are far smarter than people give them credit for, it won't take them long to figure it out :)
- Some time outdoors is good for bunnies because they do need sun and grass is great for their digestive tracts and hocks. Even some indoor carpets can be too harsh for bunny feet.

4. Get yourself a large convered cat litter box. line it with newspaper and fill it to the brim with hay.
- Rabbits naturally toilet whilst they eat, it is normal and safe... try not to think about it haha.
- Keep the litter box indoors so that there are no accidents on the carpet :)

5. Diet.
- Do not mistake the importance of a good diet from the very begining! There is a good reason rabbits are regarded as exotic pets...
- Make sure your baby bunnies are closer to 8 weeks old when you buy them. Any younger risks their immune system being compromised.
- They'll eat mostly hay (not straw). Alfalfa as babies and Timothy or Oaten as they become adults (depends on availability). Some hay will actually be too rich and will cause problems, including urinary tract infections (I know I sound like an excentric rabbit lady right now but I have learnt the hard way).
- Water should be provided via BOWL not a bottle. Rabbits drink a lot of water and they can't get it from a bottle. Oh! and don't buy into all those rumours about keeping rabbits healthy using vinegar.
- Do yourself a favour and avoid dental diesease at all costs! everything from having the teeth removed and affected tear ducts can be avoided.
- Check out what greens are safe (and those that aren't) and how much to feed online.
- Resist the urge to feed them a whole carrot. Rabbits are pigs, there is no 0ther animal that loves food more but they will suffer for it and vet bills are expensive!

6. Find yourself a rabbit savvy vet.
I used to see this online constantly and after taking my rabbit to what I thought was a rabbit savvy vet I became increasingly frustrated. It became apparent that when a doctor doesn't know what they are doing they will pretend they do as to avoid alarming you. so... what you really need to do is FIND YOURSELF AN EXOTICS VET. They will almost certainly know how to handle rabbit problems.

Other tips:
- poo is the easiest way to know if your bunny is healthy.
- check out what a healthy rabbits urine and faeces look like. There are helpful resources online. They'll teach you some really important stuff including but not limited to the fact rabbits will create and eat some "special" poos or 'cecotropes' and rabbit urine is naturally cloudy or sometimes even red... and GI stasis!
- be aware betacarotine (found in some greens) can cause a rabbits wee to be alarmingly dark... like blood dark. but it's not something to be alarmed about.
- Watch some lennon the bunny.

Regarding your questions:
- Most people will say that males are calmer. However I do think it depends on handling and breed too. I have a mix breed female that is far more geared towards cuddles and being held than our mini lop male. In short, the smaller the rabbit the more skittish and opposed to being picked up it'll be (generally).
- Rabbits are very social creatures. They do love rabbit company, it can help them feel secure. However... You will develop a great bond with just one rabbit. I found this with my rabbit April. If you get two, may as well make them siblings.
- For the love of god no wire flooring haha save yourself the pain (unless it's a meat rabbit that won't live long enough to develop sore hocks) you'll generally only see the wire bottoms in non-pet scenarios. If a cage is a must then lean toward a plastic bottomed one. these are easier to clean. wood will absorb water and other filth with it.
- As for bedding (please note a free range house bunny is much cheaper and easier, you'll only need a litter b0x) a decent layer of newspaper followed by a decent cat litter (dust free as possible, paper based) and then hay.
- it is insanely easy to litter train a desexed rabbit (even intact rabbits are easy.. provided there are no other rabbits around to make them territorial). They do this by themselves almost. they poo and wee where they eat their hay. any accidents can be cleaned using vinegar and water (for wee). rabbit poo can be picked up and put in the litter box.
- I'd also love to suggest getting a flemish giant, not only are larger breeds more docile, they'll also have a harder time being stepped on, crawling under your furniture and being killed by predatory birds etc.
oh and i mean who isn't impressed by a giant tame indoor rabbit or two?

Good luck with your almost bunnies! It really is an incredibly rewarding experience, especially when they can enjoy the couch with you and roam the house like a dog or cat does.

Hopefully there are some helpful suggestions in there for you. :)

If I could go back and do it all again perfectly from the start, as you have the oppertunity to do, this is how I'd do it.

1. Desex your rabbits BEFORE you start having problems.
The benefits include:
- Prevention of cancer (bunnies have a huge chance of cancer without it)
- Toilet training is so much easier.
- Agression towards other bunnies and people is almost eliminated.

2. Make them free range bunnies.
I mean why not? check out lennon the bunny on youtube for any help you might need with this (bunnyproofing).
I know it sounds daunting but..
- You'll have super tame bunnies that will never end up rotting away in an outdoor cage because you leave cleaning and care get out of control. (all too common, I think the majority of once well cared for bunnies end up sitting in the backyard in a filthy tiny cage).

3. Bunny proof the backyard and get a dog door.
- Rabbits are far smarter than people give them credit for, it won't take them long to figure it out :)
- Some time outdoors is good for bunnies because they do need sun and grass is great for their digestive tracts and hocks. Even some indoor carpets can be too harsh for bunny feet.

4. Get yourself a large convered cat litter box. line it with newspaper and fill it to the brim with hay.
- Rabbits naturally toilet whilst they eat, it is normal and safe... try not to think about it haha.
- Keep the litter box indoors so that there are no accidents on the carpet :)

5. Diet.
- Do not mistake the importance of a good diet from the very begining! There is a good reason rabbits are regarded as exotic pets...
- Make sure your baby bunnies are closer to 8 weeks old when you buy them. Any younger risks their immune system being compromised.
- They'll eat mostly hay (not straw). Alfalfa as babies and Timothy or Oaten as they become adults (depends on availability). Some hay will actually be too rich and will cause problems, including urinary tract infections (I know I sound like an excentric rabbit lady right now but I have learnt the hard way).
- Water should be provided via BOWL not a bottle. Rabbits drink a lot of water and they can't get it from a bottle. Oh! and don't buy into all those rumours about keeping rabbits healthy using vinegar.
- Do yourself a favour and avoid dental diesease at all costs! everything from having the teeth removed and affected tear ducts can be avoided.
- Check out what greens are safe (and those that aren't) and how much to feed online.
- Resist the urge to feed them a whole carrot. Rabbits are pigs, there is no 0ther animal that loves food more but they will suffer for it and vet bills are expensive!

6. Find yourself a rabbit savvy vet.
I used to see this online constantly and after taking my rabbit to what I thought was a rabbit savvy vet I became increasingly frustrated. It became apparent that when a doctor doesn't know what they are doing they will pretend they do as to avoid alarming you. so... what you really need to do is FIND YOURSELF AN EXOTICS VET. They will almost certainly know how to handle rabbit problems.

Other tips:
- poo is the easiest way to know if your bunny is healthy.
- check out what a healthy rabbits urine and faeces look like. There are helpful resources online. They'll teach you some really important stuff including but not limited to the fact rabbits will create and eat some "special" poos or 'cecotropes' and rabbit urine is naturally cloudy or sometimes even red... and GI stasis!
- be aware betacarotine (found in some greens) can cause a rabbits wee to be alarmingly dark... like blood dark. but it's not something to be alarmed about.
- Watch some lennon the bunny.

Regarding your questions:
- Most people will say that males are calmer. However I do think it depends on handling and breed too. I have a mix breed female that is far more geared towards cuddles and being held than our mini lop male. In short, the smaller the rabbit the more skittish and opposed to being picked up it'll be (generally).
- Rabbits are very social creatures. They do love rabbit company, it can help them feel secure. However... You will develop a great bond with just one rabbit. I found this with my rabbit April. If you get two, may as well make them siblings.
- For the love of god no wire flooring haha save yourself the pain (unless it's a meat rabbit that won't live long enough to develop sore hocks) you'll generally only see the wire bottoms in non-pet scenarios. If a cage is a must then lean toward a plastic bottomed one. these are easier to clean. wood will absorb water and other filth with it.
- As for bedding (please note a free range house bunny is much cheaper and easier, you'll only need a litter b0x) a decent layer of newspaper followed by a decent cat litter (dust free as possible, paper based) and then hay.
- it is insanely easy to litter train a desexed rabbit (even intact rabbits are easy.. provided there are no other rabbits around to make them territorial). They do this by themselves almost. they poo and wee where they eat their hay. any accidents can be cleaned using vinegar and water (for wee). rabbit poo can be picked up and put in the litter box.
- I'd also love to suggest getting a flemish giant, not only are larger breeds more docile, they'll also have a harder time being stepped on, crawling under your furniture and being killed by predatory birds etc.
oh and i mean who isn't impressed by a giant tame indoor rabbit or two?

Good luck with your almost bunnies! It really is an incredibly rewarding experience, especially when they can enjoy the couch with you and roam the house like a dog or cat does.

Hopefully there are some helpful suggestions in there for you. :)

While generally, I would agree, there are a few points in which I do not.

I would discourage first-time bunny owners from getting a baby. Already fixed rabbits are a better option -- for multiple reasons (personality evident, no squishy baby poos to deal with, no hormones, vet-checked, litter trained - or more easily trained, sex guaranteed, actual bonded pairs available).

If someone still insists on getting a baby, I would not advise getting two (not even siblings). That's just asking for trouble because whether or not they ultimately bond is anyone's guess. And they'll still need to both be separated, then fixed when old enough, then remain separated until hormones dissipate, before any bonding attempts can begin. Still, no guarantee of bonding.

I would not advise a dog door under any circumstances -- unless, if it happened to lead to a totally enclosed (including a roof), predator-proof run. Rabbits are easy prey to numerous predators, including birds of prey. Weather is not conducive to this idea in many places. And anytime a rabbit goes outdoors, there needs to be cautions about mites, ticks, fleas, worms, pesticides, fertilizer, weed killers.

I agree with the idea of putting loads of hay in a litter box. I don't see a need for newspaper though (not opposed to it, just don't see any need) and hay itself does nothing to absorb urine or odors. Putting wood pellets below the hay makes for a great litter box setup.

Most of the rest seems to be sound advice. :)

Here is Charlie's litter box. Lots of hay in the rack. Holds about 3days worth for his size. We use pine hoese bedding pellets when available or care fresh litter when it is not.

Attachments

• 20190705_090737.jpg
    20190705_090737.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 21
While generally, I would agree, there are a few points in which I do not.

I would discourage first-time bunny owners from getting a baby. Already fixed rabbits are a better option -- for multiple reasons (personality evident, no squishy baby poos to deal with, no hormones, vet-checked, litter trained - or more easily trained, sex guaranteed, actual bonded pairs available).

If someone still insists on getting a baby, I would not advise getting two (not even siblings). That's just asking for trouble because whether or not they ultimately bond is anyone's guess. And they'll still need to both be separated, then fixed when old enough, then remain separated until hormones dissipate, before any bonding attempts can begin. Still, no guarantee of bonding.

I would not advise a dog door under any circumstances -- unless, if it happened to lead to a totally enclosed (including a roof), predator-proof run. Rabbits are easy prey to numerous predators, including birds of prey. Weather is not conducive to this idea in many places. And anytime a rabbit goes outdoors, there needs to be cautions about mites, ticks, fleas, worms, pesticides, fertilizer, weed killers.

I agree with the idea of putting loads of hay in a litter box. I don't see a need for newspaper though (not opposed to it, just don't see any need) and hay itself does nothing to absorb urine or odors. Putting wood pellets below the hay makes for a great litter box setup.

Most of the rest seems to be sound advice. :)
I didn’t advise getting a baby...
she’s planning to get one from a breeder so I assume it’ll be a baby. In a perfect world it would be an adult rescue. I also never advised getting two, I actually advised against it... I mentioned that should she wish to have more than one it’s far easier to have rabbits grow up together and be desexed as early as necessary than to have two rabbits that have never encountered each other before try to bond. It is far more stressful for them for reasons I’m sure don’t warrant explanation. As to why one might seperate young siblings of the same gender... I mean... that just is cruel. Rabbits love company.

Concerning the dog door— notice I had “bunny proof backyard”. One would assume you’re taking the necessary precautions.

I put newspaper and a layer of litter before the hay to absorb urine... I thought that would be clear, I’m very surprised that needs explaining.

Next time you have helpful points. Make your own comment that might help the person who’s posted instead of replying to comments and tearing others down, ticking off what you like and don’t like about what they’ve offered as advice.

Anyway, to nick pick posts (whatever your reasons) is completely unhelpful. It’s not the kind of behaviour geared towards perpetuating a friendly community.
:)

Last edited:
^^Disagreeing with someone doesn’t equate to “tearing you down.” Looking back over your prior post to understand why you were offended, I see that, with one exception, my comments were mere clarifications rather than actual disagreements. In those instances, I think that perhaps how or what you wrote did not fully match up with what you were trying to convey.

You wrote:

"1. Desex your rabbits BEFORE you start having problems.

Make sure your baby bunnies are closer to 8 weeks old

If you get two, may as well make them siblings."

—which is why it sounded to me like you were encouraging her to get a baby. Especially when she had already stated that she had decided to foster. Why keep talking about babies when she already stated she was going with a foster. But then you wrote back:

“I didn’t advise getting a baby...
she’s planning to get one from a breeder so I assume it’ll be a baby.”

...which made me realize that you had not read her post about deciding to foster a rabbit.

So clearly these sections of your post (your point #1 ) were written by you with good intentions, but wrongly assuming she was getting a baby. If she had been planning on getting a baby, your advice to ensure it is at least 8 weeks and then get it fixed is good.

I would still discourage getting 2 young babies (even siblings) because, even sibling pairs often need to be separated if hormones begin to cause aggression before they are both ready to neuter or spay. And siblings don’t automatically bond after being fixed either.

As for bunny proofing the backyard… that warrants explanation– especially with a first-time bunny owner. I’ve seen people bunny proof (block off toxic plants, secure perimeter fencing) so that bunny can run around supervised. But a doggie door would mean bunny goes in and out at will (ie. unsupervised). Predator proofing is broader in meaning than “bunny proofing.” I don’t know of anyone who has actually predator-proofed an entire backyard. That would mean completely enclosing the yard including a roof of some sort. That is why I felt it necessary – for the sake of anyone contemplating a dog door – to clarify that it would only be advised if it led to a completely predator-proof enclosure. This isn’t nit-picking. It’s ensuring readers are aware of the extent of predator-proofing needed.

I did say that I was not opposed to newspaper. I only clarified that something like wood pellets absorbs urine and odor. This was also a clarification because a quick read through your post left me thinking you used only newspaper and hay. This is what I saw:

"4. Get yourself a large covered cat litter box. line it with newspaper and fill it to the brim with hay.
- Keep the litter box indoors so that there are no accidents on the carpet"

It wasn’t until I re-read all the way to the bottom, in a separate section, that I saw you mention cat litter. So this wasn’t a disagreement at all, just a clarification for others who may likewise have missed it.

To sum up, the ‘disagreements’, were – with one exception – merely clarifications on topics that otherwise could be misunderstood to a rabbit’s detriment. The one actual disagreement is that I would discourage anyone from starting out with 2 baby rabbits (siblings or not). That I stand by.

About getting a baby rabbit, we now see that your post was written without realizing that the OP had switched to the idea of getting a foster, rather than a baby.

The doggie door issue was simply clarifying the extent of predator-proofing needed. And the newspaper issue was also just clarifying that litter is needed to absorb odor and urine.

None of these comments were meant to offend you by any means. Helping each other keep our rabbits safe and healthy is the goal here of the forum. It is in this spirit that I wrote what I did, and it is in this spirit that hopefully, with this explanatory post, you will see there was no ill intent.

Latest posts

Back