Hello I'm another newbie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahealer

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Lynda and I'm here because I want to get a buny, but I have never owned one. I need to know as much as you can tell me?

Thank you all,

Lynda

Hey Lynda! Welcome to the forum!:wave: So glad to have you!

Feel free to move on down to the Bunny 101 section to learn more about bunnies:). If you need any help or have questions, just post them here or start a thread;).

Good Luck in your learning and getting a new bunny, yay!:bunnydance:

Lynda!

Just to reiterate, check out the bunnies 101 section. It's what helped me when I randomly brought home a rabbit and had no clue what to do with it.

WELCOME to the forum!!!! Keep us updated on what you decide to do. Whatever you do, please please please go ahead and adopt from a shelter :).

Tracy

Thank you for welcoming me here. I will keep you posted on everything. We are going to a farm tomorrow. They are selling baby rabbits and adult rabbits. Is there anything I should look for when choosing one? I have a chihuahua and shes still kind of a puppy only 6 months. Do you think she will be okay with a rabbit? And I have a cat that going to be two in june and I was wondering if you think she would be okay too? The cat has been around many animals not really caring what they are as long as she can get to know them first. And then, I have a 1 year old daughter, that just can't get enough of animals. She loves them all. I just would like some in put. I myself have never owned a rabbit, but my husband has. He says that they are fun and cute. I've actually never held one. So, I'm kind of scared. Any help?

Yikes, I didn't know it'd be this soon. I'd say just cuddle the bun in your arms. Make him/her feel safe. If you have to, just get on the floor and let the buncome up to you. Don't pickit up.

It depends on the rabbit as far as other pets. In a new environment, it's not good because they are creatures of habit and don't adapt to changes well. So, they just need time;).

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.:)

Well, I've been checking all our shelters first, but no luck. So I checked the paper and found five ads. Otherwise I would have gotten one from the shelter.

Just wanted to say hello and welcome! You found a great place for info with some really great people!

Hi! I just wanted to chime in that with so many other animals, it might be good to get an adult bunny. A baby would have a hard time holding its own with a puppy and full-grown cat. There is some good info here on introducing pets of different species, and also there is a lot at www.rabbit.org which is the website for the House Rabbit Society. Also, you might want to look for a larger breed rabbit, like a flemish, checkered giant, french lop, new zealand, or californian--some of these have been known to boss even cats around! This is a concern because cats are often prdators of bunnies. I'm more woried about the cat than the dog--he's young and can be trained, but the cat is well-established in the house. A dwarf or baby bunny might just look like dinner to your cat!;)

Rabbits typically come in 4 sizes: dwarf (2-4lbs), small (5-8lbs), medium (8-10lbs), and large (10-15+lbs). I'd reccomend large for you (just out of intuition). You also might want to post in the general chat section asking about rabbits with other pets to get other members' opinions! There are a lot of people on here with dogs/cats/etc.!!

Good luck!

Yes, I am more worried about our cat. The dog is a big chicken. I was wanting something bigger. The farm we are going to has many different sizes, so I will look. Thank you for telling me.

Lynda:D

:wave:Hi Lynda....you came to the best place to find info on bunnies

I'm looking forward to eventually seeing your new bunny when you get him/her :)

Cheryl

It was sad :(but I got a bunny. No name yet. When we went to this "farm" it was like all the rabbits were for was breeding. And there were so many, but all alone in the corner was this little baby. I was told was about three weeks and someone had touched him too early and the mother did not want it anymore. So I felt really bad and said I'll be its mommy. So, now bottle feeding my new adopted baby. I don't know the sex yet but will look and see. I will posts pics later tonight. :D

bunny2.jpg
bunny1.jpg

I do not know the sex or breed. I just know its cute. But no name yet..

The bottle feeding concerns me, I just went through getting my litter of 12 through that. 5 survived.

The whole *somebody touched him and his mom doesn't want him* thing sounds.. odd. All my does literally push their babies out to me, and we handle them and clean the cages and everything, never had a problem with that issue. But to each his own, every rabbit is different. Please let us, or me know, if you need any help or pointers getting the wee one through this...

Welcome to the forum...

Zin

So sorry Lynda, hate to be the bearer ofpotentiallybad news, but bottle feeding hardly ever seems to work out with rabbits. And moms don't stop feeding their babies if humans touch them, butthey will reject oneswith hidden health issues.

Very surprised the breeder didn't try and foster the kit to another rabbit and EXTREMELY disappointedthey let a young rabbit like that leave the farm at all, especially with a 'customer'.

Did the breeder give you any information at all? What kind of milk are you using?

I really hope it works out, it's not a lost cause, but it will be a rough road for the little one. Even if he/she makes it initially, they do go through a gut conversion period when they're a bit older that is an equally dangerous time. And there's the issue of why the bunny was rejected to begin with. :(

I hope some of our rehabber and breeder members can give you the best advice re: raising this baby ASAP, I'll direct some people to this thread.

Wishing you and the baby the best of luck.

sas :clover: :pray:

Well, I thought it was a bit odd too. But, this won't be the first time I have nursed baby animals. He told me to use cows milk, but that didn't sound right so I went to the pet store and they had some stuff. I mean the baby seems to be doing okay for the first night. It slept with me. And it follows me everywhere. The breeder did tell me it was bored three weeks ago, if that helps. I thank you all for your concerns. Really I do. I just felt so bad for the little guy I couldn't say no. Well, I hope to hear from you all soon. And please feel free to email me at anytime.

Thank you all,

Lynda

Latest posts

Back