Hello from Tasmania

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ZRabbits- Thanks for that. I read that while researching, but its always good to hear advice from other rabbit owners. She will get plenty of veggies. We buy a lot of fruit and veggies from the farmers market (nice and fresh with no chemicals!) for ourselves and our birds, so she will have lots of fresh veggies. And I've got a big bag of hay for her to go along with her rabbit mix.

Wendymac- thanks. We love the name. We were originally going to be unoriginal and call her Thumper, but then we were out for a walk and my husband started singing the song Do you love Waffles. And thats how her name came about.

Fraggles- Wallabies wouldn't make good pets. Unless you get them from babies they are rather nasty. They kick, hit and bite people if you get too close. Wombats make awesome pets though! Your rabbits are adorable! The white girl is very very fluffy. She must take a bit of brushing!

Ange- thanks for that advice. The breeder has already been feeding them tiny bits of carrot, which they love. Waffles was the first to start eating solid foods out of the litter. She is a fast little learner.

Melb- Thanks for the welcome. YOur rabbit in your picture is very cute. Lop? I love those lop ears.

Ok, a few questions for everyone.

Bonding with your rabbits. What does everyone do to bond with their rabbits and make it a less stressful change over? I've heard they don't like to be picked up, and feel safer if you go down to their level? But Waffles loves being picked up, she likes sleeping on shoulders in peoples hair.

And second, ears! I have a few about ears. Now, Waffles is crossed with a lop, but also with a rabbit that's ears stand up. The rest of the babies keep their ears up all the time, whereas Waffles switches between dropping her ears like a lop, and putting them up. Will she choose either one, or is she likely to swap her ears all the time?

And what do you need to do about cleaning your rabbits ears? My dog has floppy ears, and if we don't clean them often they get infected and its horrible having to put drops in her ears. Does this happen with rabbits?

Congratulations on having a bunny that likes to snuggle. You are so correct about some bunnies not liking to be picked up. Have one that grumbles every time, but he's learned to tolerate it. But if your bunny likes it, you have the battle won. It is so much easier to groom, move around to certain areas, when your bunny tolerates or enjoys being picked up. I did get down on their level, when they were babies, not to be so scary to approach. After a while, I can now approach them standing up with no issues. Just lots of patience and repetitiveness seems to get my message across.

Regarding the ears, with crosses, some bunnies ears stand up, or they lop. Some even can control their ears to where they can make them stand up any time. I guess you will just have to observe her and see how she handles her ears. Never thought that a bunny needs to learn to handle their ears, until I got my Flemish. His ears are huge and he's just learning to control them (He's 7 weeks).

I check ears every week, but smart move with lops because infections, like you said about your dog, could happen. I use warm water to wipe out ears. But I don't stick anything down into the ear canal. Could hurt them. Just keep up on her ears, with checking them, like you do your dog, and you can catch an infection before it starts.

Hope this helps a bit.

K

Welcometo Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Hopefuly, your bunny will never get sick,if you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

We also love big bunnies. We have a pure Checkered Giant that is almost 19 pounds of lap bunny. Nikki, our avatar is 3 pounds and is the only small bunny we have, but, she has a giant personality. Our biggest male is a 10 pound Chin with original name "Peter".

Back