Hello from Tasmania

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllieMoore

Reaction score
Hello,

Just thought I would introduce myself. I'm from Tasmania, Australia.

I haven't got my bunny yet, but I have her picked out and will be getting her on the 28th of this month! Her name is Waffles, she is a pure black British giant x lop. She is 4 weeks old at the moment, and she is already huge! She is going to be a very big girl.

She will be an inside rabbit, she has her own bedroom, set up with litter box, carrier, bed , hay rack and heaps of toys! She shares the room with my two birds (who are up well out of her reach!) and will share the house with my little dog. Along with myself and my husband.

I joined to learn more about rabbits, and talk to otherpeople who keep them as pets.

Hello and welcome..

I bet your looking forward to when you bring your new bunny home...Waffles is a cute name..
You must post some pictures when she arrives..

I must say British giants have always been my favourite breed of bunny...i just love how big they are..but your girl won't grow that big being a mix..but i'm looking forward to seeing her picture's.

Hi,

Congratulations on getting yourself a Giant. I'm thrilled to say I'm experiencing my first as we speak. With lots to learn. I have a 7 week old (today) Flemish Giant. Just so sweet and as playful as a little puppy. His name is Rubeus Hagrid, after the Gentle Giant in the Harry Potter series. Fits him to a tee. And he fits well in our Tribe.

Can't wait to see pics of your little Big Girl. And hear about your experience with her as she matures.

K

Here is a few pictures, so you can see her progress too. We had a house visit from her on Tuesday night, which made us soooo much more excited to be bringing her home. The breeder came around to our house so we could see how our dog would take to her. Our dog was wagging her tail and kept licking her. She wanted to play, but didn't, seemed to understand Waffles was too small. She did have a good run around with the mother rabbit though! We chose a bigger breed of rabbit especially to get along with our little dog.

Here is the mother rabbit, Gypsy.
Gypsy.jpg

And daddy. Storm
Storm.jpg

And Waffles at one week, two weeks and three weeks :D
Waffles1week.jpg

Waffles2.jpg

Waffles3.jpg

She is starting to get really fluffy now! First time I cuddled her she went to sleep on my shoulder in amongst al my hair. Was so cute.

The pictures of the mum and dad are just adorable....aww and just look at baby Waffles..

She is sweet. That's so awesome that the breeder made the visit to ease your conscience and get your little girl acclimated to your dog. That's amazing to me. That's the way it should be to make the transition an easy one for all.

Our Flemish loves hair too. He just loves to snuggle up to my husband goatee. Plays with and when first held, burrowed under it. Rubeus is such a snuggle bunny. Lets just say there is not enough E's in sweet.

Thanks for sharing those pics of your sweet girl. Hope you continue to show her progress. Can't wait to see how she grows.

K

I haven't met the daddy rabbit yet, but we plan to visit the lady's rabbitry next week to meet the dad, her other bunnies and the other two babies from this litter.

When Waffles visited she was about twice the size of the last picture! She is growing so quickly. But she is so sweet and soft. The breeder is awesome for bringing her around. It makes my mind a bit easier knowing the dog won't hurt her. I didn't think she would, as she ignores my two little birds, and she is afraid of cats!

You both have such cute profile pictures. I didn't realise rabbits were such animated pets until I started researching them. We visited several petshops (stocking supplies only, no animals) to get food, brushes, bowls, a harness, heaps of toys and everything she will need.

Like possums? Trust me, you don't want a possum. They are nasty, annoying and loud creatures. And very silly. They hang around the roads and run in front of cars. Poor little things. We do have some interesting wildlife here though :)

Wow, Fraggles is beautiful! I love the spotted rabbits. I had my heart set on a fawn (blond/orange) rabbit, but then I fell in love with little Waffles.

AllieMoore wrote:
I haven't met the daddy rabbit yet, but we plan to visit the lady's rabbitry next week to meet the dad, her other bunnies and the other two babies from this litter.

When Waffles visited she was about twice the size of the last picture! She is growing so quickly. But she is so sweet and soft. The breeder is awesome for bringing her around. It makes my mind a bit easier knowing the dog won't hurt her. I didn't think she would, as she ignores my two little birds, and she is afraid of cats!

You both have such cute profile pictures. I didn't realise rabbits were such animated pets until I started researching them. We visited several petshops (stocking supplies only, no animals) to get food, brushes, bowls, a harness, heaps of toys and everything she will need.
It will be nice to go see her operation. Just make sure you ask lots of questions about the parents, their temperament, what to feed, etc. This breeder sounds like she's really on top of her rabbitry and will give you all the information you request. That's awesome.

Yep, big bunnies do grow fast. Have had Rubeus for almost a week now and I can see the growth already. It's amazing. I have 5 little ones and this is my first experience with a larger breed.

Thanks for the compliment on my profile bunny, better known as Willard aka Bunny Bear. He's my rescue. Found him in a exotic pet store and he stole my husband heart with a sweet tilt of the head. Just couldn't leave him there.

I never knew bunnies were like this until I got my first pair. Been the best experience and really enjoying their company.

Great to hear you are getting all prepared. It is exciting waiting for your bundle of joy to come home.

K

I already have asked her a lot, and she has been really helpful. She has recommended a vet to spay Waffles when she is old enough, and she is also giving me a bag of food and an information sheet when I pick Waffles up. And she told me where is the best place to buy food and such. They have just released the cali virus into the wild here in Tassie (to wipe out the over population of wild rabbits), so Waffles will be vaccinated asap, when she is old enough. And no outside time until she is vaccinated.

Do you have any pictures of your rabbits? I love seeing peoples rabbits. We found some dutch ones in a bit of a dodgy petshop today. Was sad to leave them there. But until our house is finished being build (in 6 months time) we only have room and approval from landlord for one bunny.

AllieMoore wrote:
I already have asked her a lot, and she has been really helpful. She has recommended a vet to spay Waffles when she is old enough, and she is also giving me a bag of food and an information sheet when I pick Waffles up. And she told me where is the best place to buy food and such. They have just released the cali virus into the wild here in Tassie (to wipe out the over population of wild rabbits), so Waffles will be vaccinated asap, when she is old enough. And no outside time until she is vaccinated.

Do you have any pictures of your rabbits? I love seeing peoples rabbits. We found some dutch ones in a bit of a dodgy petshop today. Was sad to leave them there. But until our house is finished being build (in 6 months time) we only have room and approval from landlord for one bunny.
Sounds like you got some great plans set up to make sure your bunny is safe and will be healthy and completely content and spoiled. The best way a bunny can be. Good for you for getting so prepared.

Pictures? lol I love taking pics of my bunnies. You can find them in the blog section under ZRabbits.

K

AllieMoore wrote:
I've just read through your blog. You have some beautiful rabbits!

Thank you. That's our Tribe. And what pleasure they have given us. Such an awesome experience. Good and bad, but that's life.

Wait until you really get to know your bunny. When the trust becomes a bond. Then you will see that personality shine through. Just remember, time and patience with anything bunny. Observe your bunny, let him observe you, build that trust. You will not be disappointed.

K

Thats the plan :) I like that I can visit her, so that we can start bonding before she moves into our house. That way she will have a bit more trust with her. I'm pretty patient with animals. As I've been handraising and taming birds since I was young. I have a turquoise parrot and a very stubborn little budgie. The turq I handraised, and the budgie I rescued from a bad home. She still has trust issues, but she is becoming more and more comfortable with us each day. She looks so much better now she is on a good idea to. She didn't even know what a carrot was when we first gave her one!

I've been meaning to ask about rabbits and food. The breeder is giving me some food and a list of the places I can get it from. Its a mix of grains, hays, and all sorts of good things. And I know she will need plenty of hay. I was just wondering when and how I go about introducing veggies (and limited amount of fruits) into her diet? We planted a little garden out back for her to chew when she gets older. Main carrots, some of the safe herbs, plenty of wheat grass and clover.

AllieMoore wrote:
Thats the plan :) I like that I can visit her, so that we can start bonding before she moves into our house. That way she will have a bit more trust with her. I'm pretty patient with animals. As I've been handraising and taming birds since I was young. I have a turquoise parrot and a very stubborn little budgie. The turq I handraised, and the budgie I rescued from a bad home. She still has trust issues, but she is becoming more and more comfortable with us each day. She looks so much better now she is on a good idea to. She didn't even know what a carrot was when we first gave her one!

I've been meaning to ask about rabbits and food. The breeder is giving me some food and a list of the places I can get it from. Its a mix of grains, hays, and all sorts of good things. And I know she will need plenty of hay. I was just wondering when and how I go about introducing veggies (and limited amount of fruits) into her diet? We planted a little garden out back for her to chew when she gets older. Main carrots, some of the safe herbs, plenty of wheat grass and clover.
You definitely know what patience is and time spent working towards a bond, if you been raising birds. Won't have any problems with a bunny.

With the Z-Tribe, I've been more cautious with introducing veggies and fruits. Some introduce veggies at 3 months. I wait until at least 6 months for veggies and 7 months for fruit. I haven't had any issues with digestive problems that way. Best way to introduce a new veggie is in small portions, then wait to see how your bunny's belly accepts it. You can tell if there is a problem by the bunny's poop. It tells all. If it's diareahha (sp?) or misformed poo, not round, then there's a problem. Also sometimes bunnies get gas pains. You can tell if they are hunched, pressing their bellies to the floor, or just not themselves. Dobby was like that when we gave him broccolli for the first time. I backed off to allow his system to settle, and then give him just a taste once in a while. No gas pains and he does enjoy it.

If the poo is round and normal, it means everything is OK. Then introduce another veggie and see how it goes. If you introduce too many at the same time, you won't know which one your bunny is not digesting well.

Great to hear about the garden. The garden next to our bunny run has lots of things for the Z-Tribe to enjoy. Cucumbers, parsley, basil, cilantro, arugula, kale, wheat grass, tomatoes. All things they enjoy. Now that most of my bunnies hit the 6 month mark, I've cut back on their pellets (they were given free choice) and have supplimented their diet with veggies each night.

Hay is a constant and a BIG must for our bunnies. It keeps their digestive system going, which a bunny must do to stay healthy. And it's good to help keep their teeth healthy.

Fruit, I usually wait until 7 months. My Tribe so far have enjoyed strawberries, applies (watch the seeds they are toxic) and watermelon. Dobby doesn't like watermelon so he gets extra wheat grass, which he loves.

Hope this helps a bit.

K

Awww welcome! Love the pics of your buns. Cute! And so adorable as a baby can't wait to see how big he gets and more pics.

I introduced veggies at 3 months but very slowly. Like a bite or two here or there and moved up from there.

And only introduced one at a time. Agnes got a little mushy poop from spinach so we stopped that right away. Otherwise it has been fine. She likes romaine, bok choy, kale, parsley and an occasional baby carrot as a treat.

So glad you found us here! Looking forward to hearing more from you :)

Latest posts

Back