Hello from Rhode Island, USA

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom of Joy and Love

Reaction score
We became a Bunny Family unintentionally. 2006 was the 1st year our daughter vounteered to help at church for the annual Easter Party for the children. I stayed to help in a small way. Soon discovered they were raffleing off a bunny & cage(piece of junk) donated by a local breeder.

My feelings about animals are very strong and do not believe they should be raffled off. The tickets were free and given only to "families that would give her a good home". Many of those families were letting their little children poke their fingers in the cage. How many would take the time to research just what care a bunny really needs and follow thru. (When I called the breeder he said not to waste money on a vet or spaying her, offered to trade her for a different one after we had already bonder and said she belonged in an outside hutch.)
2513645320039632485GNsrTE_th.jpg

I took a ticket and prayed that God would give her to the best family for her. It was our ticket that was drawn. God had put her into our care and we were responsible to follow thru.
Went to Petsmart and found a book about Bunnies living inside, bought her some pellets which we later returned, you know the kind. Made a nice home for her in our largest dog crate and started bunny proofing the room. Joy showed us just what needed to be done. Put a second level in the dog crate and made sure she had companionship and exercise at least 4 hours a day. Joined several bunny email lists and contacted Sweet Binks our local shelter and learned a lot more about her care and what books to buy. Also, with help, located the best bunny vet in the state who continues to give her excellent care.
2998477290039632485ZmrfWr_th.jpg

After Joy was spayed and almost a year old it was time for her to have a bun mate. Sweet Binks had just been involved in the rescue of many bunnies that were being raised for their meat on garbage in terrible conditions. One adopable brown male, who is part Flemish Giant like Joy, caught my eye and I hoped Joy would like him.
2327379220039632485nNsTdI_th.jpg

Took Joy to the shelter where she met Love and they bonded right away. Told to keep them together always. Made one mistake when came home. Put them together in a place Joy considered hers. So started building a surround out of the cubes we had purchased to make them a condo. Turned out it evolved into a condo rather quickly since Joy could get out unless it was for cubes high. Now it's 5 cubes high, 3 wide and 5 long, with a ceiling, and 3 additional level plus a bench.
2468752480039632485kYNddm_th.jpg
2420224410039632485MglQRJ_th.jpg

Welcome!

What a nice story!

Looks like you have some big buns with some big ears! So cute! We'd love to see more pics of your spoiled bunnies. That looks like a massive condo! :biggrin2:

welcome to the forum! :party::welcome1:big wink:

what a nice story. :):bunnydance::pinkbouce:

ani-lover and the buns

Welcome to the forum! What a great story and what gorgeous rabbits! :inlove:

Could you post bigger pictures of your bunny condo? My buns are in pens that are about the same size, each with one shelf on the long side. I'm thinking of adding more shelves sometimes soon.

YAY! Welcome! God truly knew who was to get Joy! and I think you knew when you saw her!

They are both beautiful! and look so happy! Do they thump at all? I never thought much of Bo and Clover thumping cause it isn't that loud! but now that we have Heidi... THUMP! :pWe giggle!

That is great how God worked everything out for you. She is a fortunate bun.

Welcome to RO too!:D I too became a bun family unintentionally, long story (its in the blog section under Wabbit Herd Bakers Dozen) but I am glad that I did.

I have three Flemish in my herd and they are great rabbits.

Welcome once a again and by the way she is a very cute bunny.

Welcome! :hug:

Omg, your bunnies are so cute! And what a great cage!! :D

~~~~~~
~Michaela and bunnies (Madison & Ebony)~

what a heart warming story! your bun buns are adorable! ~jess and gabby
p.s. i was born and raised in RI, its always great to hear of another rhody :) :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back