Hello from Cinnamon and I in Victoria, Australia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabrissi

Reaction score
We're also on EtherBun and CompanionRabbits yahoogroup so maybe I know a few of you already but figured we'd drop by and say 'hi' to everyone else we haven't met as well.

Cinnamon is my first bun, a dwarf type with uppy ears and sooty-fawn colour coat. She is a little sweetheart, very curious and very, very clever! I'm a behaviour and training geek and she picks up concepts in clickertraining very quickly. We're in the beautiful Dandenong Ranges in Victoria, Australia along with the rest of my zoo crew including dogs, cats, foster kittens, chooks, ducks, geese, guineafowl, sheep, two kids and husband on a small farmlet. Cinna is an indoor only house-bun and waiting to be big enough to be spayed so she can find a friend. We're lucky to have an excellent bunny vet nearby and friends in rescue. :)

Pics, videos and such are on my website and blog, which should appear in my signature if I've done it correctly!

Cheers!

Welcome! I am from the outer suburbs near Ringwood. Always good to see another Victorian on the forums. It sure sounds like you must have your hands full with that zoo haha I love how the animals were listed before your kids and husband :p

This is a great forum, everyone is always friendly and willing to help. We also enjoy pictures of your bunnies (and just about any animal really).

I hope you enjoy your time here :)

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

I’ve listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link to a website that will help you understand what your rabbit(s) are saying to you, Rabbitspeak.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, How to put photo's in your posts.

This the best site on the web for bunnies and I look forward to hearing stories and looking at pictures of your rabbit.

Welcome to you and Cinnamon! Didn't see the blog link - so repost that so that we can see photos! Sounds like your pretty "set" for you and bun, but again, would love to hear the stories of your intelligent curious bun.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Good to see a few Aussies are here as well! Although to be honest I am an American transplant - having moved here about 5 yrs back with my dogs. LOL As a family we are all about our critters, they are our world and life. :)

The direct link to my blog is:
http://thecabrissidoglog.blogspot.com/
The name aside it's not just about dogs but everything but the name stuck!

and the website is:
http://cabrissi.webs.com/ which has pics of all my babies and has some videos of Cinna as well. :D

Thanks everyone! We all think Cinna is gorgeous too... here are some better pictures from the other day.
P13107810.jpg

P13107700.jpg

The lighting is decent for once, my poor camera struggles with low light situations indoors which makes getting a decent shot frusterating to say the least!

Hope is a total sweetie, she absolutely adores the kids and is an awesome agility and obedience dog. :D

She is even prettier in good light, the variations in her colouring comes out more I think.

What breed is Hope (and the other dogs)?

His shedding isn't too bad by my standards but then I'm used to Australian Shepherds who moult enough to knit new dogs from the fluff! ;p A weekly thorough brushout throughout the year and then when he's moulting an undercoat rake to pull out bags of fluff. ;P

Definitely do your research though. Maremma are about as far from the average Golden Retriever temperment as you can get and absolutely NOT suited to suburban areas. There are hundreds that end up in rescue when people buy them as youngsters and find in a few months a 100lb dog who considers it their god deigned job to bark at every suspicious noise or sight it encounters and who -will- back up it's bark with bite is more than they bargained for. He is an absolute sweetheart with my husband and the I though, very gentle with the kids, and he does a magnificent job of protecting our birds and sheep from foxes and wild dogs which are an awful problem here and will dig under fencing and baffling, chew wire mesh to shreds, dodge electric wiring, chew wood boards to splinters and pull them off etc to gain access and kill dozes of my chooks, ducks and geese. Definitely a case of 'brilliant in the right place, disaster in the wrong one' though!

Despite being an aussie myself I'm not really familiar with the Australian Shepherds. I do know maremmas though! I know a few people with them, including a lady who is sort of a mentor to me. I went over to her house just before Christmas and met her maremma, he is an amazing big guy that looks like he has a whole lot of wisdom if only he could speak.

Australian Shepherds, despite the name, are actually an American breed. A couple hundred years back, Australia bought merinos across from Europe and in many cases the Basque shepherds and their dogs came over with the sheep ti Aus. A few years later, the Americans bought large numbers of those merinos to improve wool fineness and again the shepherds and dogs came with the sheep. A few dogs were imported directly to the US from the Basque reigons during the early 1900's and maybe earlier. Those early dogs were crossed with various American stockdog strains until they developed a working dog that suited the local conditions and stock. However dogs of that type were always remembered as being associated with the sheep from the Australian boats and were nicknamed "Australian" shepherds, which ended up sticking. Similar breeds are still found in the area as well as Pyrnease Smooth Faced Shepherds, Old Welsh Bobtails, German Tigers etc. who have common ancestry.

Australian Shepherds as such have only actually been in Australia for the past 15 years or so and are still relatively uncommon. They are a bit like a Border Collie but work upright, closer in and without the eye of the BC's. Temperment wise, the joke is that they're "BC's with an off button" - if you want to run 10K they will happily join you but if you want to lounge and watch telly they're content with that too... just as long as they can be with you! I grew up with them in the US and they are the best little dogs imo!

Anyone wanting more information can check out the Australian Shepherd Club of Victoria. http://www.australianshepherd.org.au/ I'm a member and on the general and Hereditary Diseases and Disorders Advisory Panel committees. :)

Back