Hello from Boston

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

np

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a documentary filmmaker from Boston, and proud "mother" of Miller, a 1.5 year-old grey Netherland Dwarf, who I adopted from the Animal Rescue League back in October.

Strangely enough, it was a running injury that led me to adopt Miller. I had to drop out of the New York Marathon, and had fallen into a bit of a funk because of it. The day after I dropped out of the marathon, I saw a young woman on the subway with a bunny in her lap. We got to talking, and she told me more about her bunny, who was such a little sweetheart. Something inside of me instantly told me that a bunny would be the cure to my running-injury blues. Once I ascended from the subway stop, I called my fiance and asked him if we could get a rabbit (my rationale being that our place was too tiny for a dog, and we're both allergic to cats). After endlessly researching online for about a week or so, we decided we could handle a rabbit... or so we thought, ha!

We adopted Miller on October 12th, and he's completely taken over our lives. He's done that even more so now, as I have moved him from our office/spare bedroom into our living room, so he can comfortably enjoy air conditioning as the weather gets warmer. I attempted to sleep in the living room with him last night as an experiment, and I was woken up about every half hour to him pouncing on me. Turns out, for such a tiny little guy, he's able to jump on the couch without a problem.

Miller was a little shy and withdrawn when we first got him (he was neglected by his previous owner, who was a teenager). He still absolutely HATES being picked up, so we try not to do it, but he's really come around with letting us pet him, or jumping on our laps. When we first saw him do his binky series, we were in tears laughing.

We've had some scary moments with 2 bouts of GI stasis, but luckily the MSPCA is about 4 miles from our home, so he's been treated and recovered each time (although it's already cost me close to $1000, ugh!). I'm grateful for all the research and forums online (like this one!), that helped me recognize his symptoms early on. On occasion his eye gets a little weepy, too. Besides that, he seems to be in good health.

We're not sure of Miller's definite age-- we were told he was about a year old when we got him in October. But my fiance and I share the same birthday in August, so we thought it was only fitting to give Miller our birthday as well :)

All in all, it's been quite an adventure taking care of our little bun, and he certainly has brought me joy during times of pain in the last few months. I'm happy to say that my injury cleared up, and I'm back to running, too :D

Looking forward to chatting with you all about your little ones!

np

Hi Miller's mom! What a great story! Miller is so lucky to have found you. Kudos to you forresearchingabout rabbits before taking the big step. I've slept on the couch many nites alsowhenever one of the buns were sick. Hopefully in time, Miller will come around and let you pick him up. When Baci first came home with us, he would run from us. After awhile he learned to trust us and let us pick him up. Can't wait to see pictures of Miller

Welcome Miller and mom. So glad that you found each other. Miller will come around as he gains more and more trust. The fact that he will jump up to be pet or sit in your lap is proof that he is feeling pretty safe and secure. I have also slept on the couch when my bunny is sick. Have had rabbits in the past that have also slept on my chest when they are sick. They are such caring little creatures. Hope to see a photo of Miller soon.

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

Thank you, everyone!! I really appreciate the kind words and support. It's so wonderful to have found a place to connect with other bun owners. Being in the city, people usually raise an eyebrow at me when I tell them I have a rabbit... kind of like this! :confused2:

I finally figured out how to post some pics of Miller-- you can find them under the Meet Miller! folder in my profile.

Thanks again!

np

Welcome, i checked out some rabbits at the ARL in boston too but they were too small (salty and malty were their names, very sweet and didnt mind being picked up at all). I needed something big so my cats and dog wouldnt be able to gulp it down so to speak. Maybe i was overworried now that i have a larger Rex and the other animals seem to care less about her existence! Well, until im petting her but then its just jealousy.

Latest posts

Back