Hello can anyone help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dribbles

Reaction score
Hello my mum and dad brought me this rabbit on Friday, he let me stroke him but on Yesterday he wouldnt let me touch him, today i let him out of his hutch into an closed in area, but he still wouldnt let me touch him, is there something im meant to do as i want him to be used to me instead of nervous.

Keep in mind this is a whole new world for your bunny. It's new, different, and exciting. Most bunnies need some time to adjust to their new homes before they get comfortable. When you let him out to his play area, sit with him. Don't try to touch him or anything, just sit there. Rabbits are naturally curious animals and he'll more than likely approach you. Let him sniff you and see what you're all about first and then try to reach out and pet him. It may take a while for him to get used to you, but be patient.

ok thats what ill try as his last owner didnt pickhim up or stroke her as her daughter wouldnt do it and neither would the lady as she was scared of his claws, so she sold her to me asthe woman was pregnant. the other day she nipped me dont no if this means anything, we are thinking about getting a guinnea pig for my sis will this be ok in the same hutch?

Hiya,and welcome to the forum:)

Since your bunny is still new,he just needs a bit of time to get used to you and his new home,maybe you could just try sitting down with him and let him come to you but don't touch him,just let him check you out, just to let him know that you are his friend,all he needs at the moment is a bit of patience and he will eventually learn to trust you.When i first brought my bunny home she was just so scared,she would come out of her home when i wasn't around and she would check things out,but as soon as she saw me she ran straight back to her home,it took her about a week to finally settle and stop running away,after that she became part of the furniture

(RIP sweet Lollipop),a couple of my other bunnies were very shy as well,but the more time you spend with your bunny,the more he will eventually love you:)

cheryl

opus.jpg

This isnt her but it looks like her twin :D

Dribbles wrote:
ok thats what ill try as his last owner didnt pickhim up or stroke her as her daughter wouldnt do it and neither would the lady as she was scared of his claws, so she sold her to me asthe woman was pregnant. the other day she nipped me dont no if this means anything, we are thinking about getting a guinnea pig for my sis will this be ok in the same hutch?
I wouldn't personally put a guinea pig in with a rabbit,as the rabbit is much bigger and may hurt the piggy,and they both have different needs and different food,

but that's not to say that a bunny cannot get along with a piggy,my sister's kids wanted a guinea pig,so she bought two and one of those piggies loved Peter the rabbit so much that she would go looking for him and squeeking after him,but Peter wasn't interested,he would always run from cookie the piggie.

But like i said,i wouldn't put a bunny in with a piggie

cheryl

ok i will try and get a seperate hutch, also from that picture can you tell Dribbles breed (Dribbles is her name) and what sort of vegtables or fruit is she alowed i have given her cucumber and grass, my dad was going to buy her a salt block for her teeth yesterday but was busy doing something else.

here is a link to feeding your bunny,there's lots of info in there..

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

also..

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

Also,you should check out the Rabbits Only Resource center,there is a ton of info in there,everything you need to know on how to look after your bunny,and there is info on rabbit illness and all sorts of interesting stuff,go oncheck it out!

Ohh another thing,i wouldn't really worry about the salt lick,i know some bunnies have a lick here and there but my bunnies never ever touched them,salt licks are not really important to haveanyway.

i'm not 100% sure but Dribbles looks like a polish:)

cheryl

Nidia wrote:
Keep in mind this is a whole new world for your bunny. It's new, different, and exciting. Most bunnies need some time to adjust to their new homes before they get comfortable. When you let him out to his play area, sit with him. Don't try to touch him or anything, just sit there. Rabbits are naturally curious animals and he'll more than likely approach you. Let him sniff you and see what you're all about first and then try to reach out and pet him. It may take a while for him to get used to you, but be patient.
He is now letting me stroke him but only when he is in his hutch, he has had a sniff of me and hops away comes and sniffs again the goes away, he is make a growling sort of noise and stands on his hind legs is this normal?

Dribbles is a dutch bunny..so cute! I have two: Basil and Max:

In regards to the growling, Max did this when we first brought him home. He was just really scared about his new surroundings. Try not to reach into his cage when he's in it. Let him know that that is his area and he is safe there. Does he have something to hide in/under? Even a carboard box with holes cut is good. Some kind of shelter so he's not so exposed. This will help him to feel safe.

Also, make sure he's getting pellets, veggies, unlimited hay and water. This will help him to feel right at home! Just be patient, it takes time for a rabbit to trust you. I have one I rescued about3 months ago and he still wont let me hold him, but hes starting to trust me.

Good Luck and Welcome! This site has great resources, feel free to ask lots of questions!

Haley

he has his sbed area with a wooden door witch i cant see through i dont have pellet food but i have Guinnea pig and Rabbit food (its like hamster food but for rabbits and guinnea pigs) other than that there is nowhere to hide he has loads of water check it in the morning and evening when i get up, he has a two storey hutch so he has plenty of space.

rabbit_5211.jpg
im thinking of getting Alice she is a few moths old and female neutered, and not bonded yet, m get her from the rescue home to bond with dribbles my 2 year old dutch rabbit

Back