Hello, Alberta Canada

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDWest

Three Witches Rabbitry
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Joined a few months back. Thought it's about time to give a proper wave to everyone who loves bunnehs! We breed Flemish Giants and Astrex rabbits.
:brown-bunny
J & D

Hi! Oh I adore flemish giants, I've been looking at adopting one for a few months now hehe. Welcome!

:brownbunny

Hi & :welcome1
Nice to have you join us & introduce yourself! Of course, I have heard of Flemish giants but never having heard of the Astrex rabbit, I had to look it up online! They have a very interesting history. Would love for you to tell me/us more about their personality in general. I know all rabbits have their own distinct personality that is all their own but breeders get to learn what genetic characteristics they have not only physically but mental. Also, would love to know how you learned about the Astrex rabbit & came to be breeder! Hope you don't mind but it is very interesting to me & I would love to learn more! Thanks & welcome once again! Oh, & any pix you would care to share are always welcome here! We all love to ooooh & aaaaah over everyone buns!

Welcome to RO. Would love to see pics, I have heard of the Astrex, that's the one with the curly fur,they are so cute but you hardly ever see them. I too would be interested to hear how you came to breed them.

Thank you all for the welcome :)

Yeah, i liked that picture in my avatar too. I have a few cool ones. It's easy to turn any cool picture into an avatar. I use shrink my pictures website.

I'll start a new thread about my rabbits in the rabbitry section.

Here is my favorite Astrex buck when he was around 4 weeks old. Crazy looking, i know! Hairloss is normal for them when kits. It grows back.
He is extremely smart and affecionate!

Here is one of our torte coloured Astrex kits.*

Here is one of my Flemish Giants.
5 month old buck light grey buck.

This is when he's being social

This is when he's done talking

More pictures on my website.
www.threewitchesrabbitry.joosee.com

Love the pictures! You forget how big bun feet are when they're often so fluffy! I love the name of your rabbitry, it's almost Macbeth like, I can picture three witches with rabbits springing from a huge cauldron!

Thanks selbert :)

I named my rabbitry after my very first three Astrex. I had a litter of Flemish Giant/Checkered Giant and in it were three black kits that looked nothing like their siblings. They grew into beautiful shiny black Does with curly fur. I had read that rabbits were considered familiars of witches, and it was one of the forms witches would transform too. Plus movies like The Witches of Eastwick, Hocas Pocas, stories like McBeth always have witches in three. So it suited my personality, and represented my girls well. My three girls were so whymiscal that i imagined them being witches that turned into rabbits. Heehee. And so named my rabbitry Three Witches. *ding*

Here is one of the Three Witches.

She was nursing a litter so her little nips are showing. Lol

Hey welcome. How odd that just yesterday I was looking at your sight, reading all about Astrex rabbits. It was seeing your buns that led me to post in the breeder section about new breeds and such. Shocked me when I was looking here and recognized pics I was gazing at the day before. Your buns are adorable.

Oh, and probably should wait for when you post in the Rabbitry section but I cant help being inquisitive. Read on some other sites that folks consider Astrex fur a defect endangering a rabbits well being and should not he bred for, and in their opinion the hair loss proves it. Just wanted to hear your take on that thought. I know many breeds started with some defects that eventually were bred out so I wonder why it would be an issue.

Oh what a great story! She's beautiful! I always imagine my little munchkins turning into elephants, well at least thats what it looks like if I leave them for a few hours! So much distraction for such small animals haha!

Really, Troller?! Well...Haha, it's getting to that spring time lighting, so bunnies are hot to trot, but it's too cold outside so i'm more active online. I'm glad i decided to start posting so i could answer any questions or concerns you have.

I think a lot of issue is with the hairless gene. It can cause a lot of problems in breeds. I've heard of hairless kits born in litters and they are usually runty and have digestive issues.*
Their was a university in Australia if i recall that developed a hairless rabbit breed intended for use in third world countries, but i believe they lost funding. I'd have to look back into it more. But they were gaining strides.*

Their is a lady that breeds an old line of Astrex that lives close to me Gold Spike Rabbitry. Her buns are still breeding to this day and she's been breeding endagered breeds for a looong time.

I have astrex breeders going on four years in age and i have not experienced any health problems other then feet problems. I believe *it's their weight (as mine are medium to large in size) and*lack of a thick fur pad on their feet bottoms. They need solid bottoms with clean thich bedding and regular toenail trims. My guys need different treatment from my Flemish. Astrex are higher maintanence. They have higher motabalisms. They have very curious natures!.. Much like a Devon Cat or hairless cat. And need stimulous to keep them happy. My guys would not do well in a minimum cage size! The mothers also have great trouble making fur nests before kindling..they can't pull from a coat that is sparse. If given cloth to help them.. they greatly appreciate it and build a nest with that. Also kits are prone to nest eye which i believe is due to lack of eye lashes so a spotless nest box, free of dust, must be provided.

All breeds have issues that need to be thought over and pushed thru. But some mutations cause so many problems that it causes huge expense both for owner and animal...and may be just not worth the vanity our wonderment of having or breeding something "different"
Sometimes simple is beautifully best!

Astrex are more common then people let on, a lot of them are culled by breeders who do NOT want their show rabbits status compromised.

*I'm planning on bring in harliquin and rex into my line to bring in vigor and new blood. Their is not much consistancy in my guys yet. Some are stocky and thick furred. Some are lanky and more thin in their fur.

Breeding Astrex is difficult because on a breeding standpoint they cause housing and pratical issues to the breeder, so it becomes impractical to keep them well. I have the luxury of having a very supportive husband, indoor heated rabbitry, solid bottoms cages that my husband builds to my specs, and alot of patience.*

I have no doubt that their are health defects within the genes. But from my experience i haven't experience too many. They really are more of a rabbit suited for indoor life. Because of their requirements it makes it hard for a breeder developing a new breed to meet them. As larger volume is really needed when developing and animal, to make sure every possible outcome is worked over.*

A breed is only as good as it's breeders ideals. If these guys can't work in a healthy, manageable way for them and then for me, i'll stop breeding them.

In my experience, so far so good though.

Oh what a great story! She's beautiful! I always imagine my little munchkins turning into elephants, well at least thats what it looks like if I leave them for a few hours! So much distraction for such small animals haha!

LMBO! Too adorable. At least if we feed them after midnight they don't turn into Gremlins!

Oh thank God for that, I would never be able to get to sleep without distracting them with a few pellets and greens!

It was really interesting reading about how you breed Astrex, I too had not heard of them before but I seem obsessed now! It's probably good that you live all the way in Canada or you'll have me knocking on your door for all the rabbits!

It sounds like you run such a caring rabbitry though, so nice to read about that rather than the pet shop horror stories I'm so used to seeing nowadays. Keep up the god work :D

All the best,

Selina
:brownbunny

Love the rabbitry name and it makes such fascinating reading. They do have such big feet with no hair but still amazing looking. I imagine there are many challenges in this breed but look forward to learning more. Love your giants, one of my favourite breeds.

Latest posts

Back