Hedgehogs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalballl

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I know I'm nuts. I need another pet like I need a hole in the head. And not saying I'd do it anytime soon! But I'd love to get a hedgehog. Anyone have one or had one? Were they a good pet? Any other pointers??

Thanks!!

Crystal

I had one when I was --- five-ish. I think I liked them - but can't remember, sorry I am not of more help... However, there IS a hedgehog owner here.... And they have a lop maybe.... YukonDaisy? Maybe?

Yeah it's YukonDaisy I just checked her blog and she has a picture of him/her in her avitar.

Susan:runningrabbit:

i've had a hedge-ama-hog! well, he didn't live inside, he was wild. one was called satchmo (i named a snowman i made once after him). he used to live in the garden next to my back door and every night when i fed the cats, he would waddle out and finish off their left over dinner. he also really liked chocolate wheat biscuits. when we moved house i decided not to take him because i wasn't sure if he had a family and would feel really bad if his family missed him. he was really fat and made the cutest snuffling noises. i used to pat him but i never tried to pick him up because i didn't want to scare him off. i put a big bucket in the garden (lying on it's side) under his favourite bush and filled it with leaves etc so when it was raining he could snuggle up inside it.

i reckon hedgehogs would make great post-it spikes lol.

he was rebel hedgehog without a cause :)

Yes, it is I you seek. lol

I have a little freak of a hedgehog named Rocky:

Rocky03-1.jpg

She lives in a NIC cage, with lots of room:

newsetup.jpg

She eats a mix of high quality cat foods, she also likes chicken, eggs,bananas, she'd probably like crickets or meal worms, butthey gross me out, so too bad.(nutrional requirements are not well know for hedgies, they are insectivors and require a bit of protein, "hedgehog food" is not recommended)

food.jpg

She likes to drink water from a dish, many hedgies have trouble with bottles:

water.jpg

She likes to run in a wheel, they also pee and poo while running, hence the tray of Yesterday's News:

whatsthis.jpg

They like having a place to hide, and fleece sacs to sleep in.

STKI0018.jpg

She likes to self-annoint on the carpet:

mmcarpet3.jpg

I used to use pine shavings in her cage, but switch to fleece liners like many otherhedgehog owners. It's much cleaner, I don't find bits of wood all over the place anymore.Fleece because there are no threads to get caught on.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll try to answer any other questions you have!

~Diana

Yep I need one. NEEED not just want. UHM are they illegal in MI? One piece of info I failed to find on the internets

Not like anyone would know if I had one...........

Can't you pet them if they trust you?

I have a crap ton of questions, sorry....HAHA!

Are there any Hedgy forums?
Do they smell?
What is their poop like?
Can they use a litter box?
What types of cat foods are the best?
Doesn't it hurt to touch them?
Do they do best in pairs?
What kind of toys do they play with, if any?
Is it best to get one from a reputable breeder?
How do they "play"?
What is their most common medical issue?
What is their lifespan?

As most know, sometime in the future I would love an exotic-type pet. I would love a Bearded Dragon...but I am open to research all types of other pets :p.

I can see it now, Amy and I are BOTH going to end up with a Hedgie.

And if I get one I'm doing the lamest thing ever and naming it Sonic. Boy or girl. Don't even care. Haha. I'm so lame.

iluvmybuns wrote:
And if I get one I'm doing the lamest thing ever and naming it Sonic.
lol when i used to have really short spikey hair, i used to get called sonic by my co-workers. my hair wasn't blue though :)

iluvmybuns wrote:

And if I get one I'm doing the lamest thing ever and naming it Sonic. Boy or girl. Don't even care. Haha. I'm so lame.

You just doomed me, hahaha. Hopefully there aren't any breeders anywhere near me when I *maybe* get one WAAAAY later in life.

I really actually want a Beardie though. I like reptiles and this seems like the type for me. I could NEVER have a snake, as I could never feed it an animal, lol.

I rescued a little hedgehog a few days ago. One of its back feet were completly gone and looked badly infected. So I took it to a near by wildlife centre. They said it would have probably died within another day or so if I hadn't brought it in. I Love this pic :inlove:
Rocky03-1.jpg

undergunfire wrote:
iluvmybuns wrote:

You just doomed me, hahaha. Hopefully there aren't any breeders anywhere near me when I *maybe* get one WAAAAY later in life.

I really actually want a Beardie though. I like reptiles and this seems like the type for me. I could NEVER have a snake, as I could never feed it an animal, lol.
I have a hard time feeding crickets to my gecko.:?

Lol

I have been curious about them forever. I was working at the pet shop when they became legal to own as pets. Heh. I never touched one though and I am sooo curious!!!

I sure could use one to help with brushing the bunnies :p

Oh and I know what you mean about feeding with bugs. I had a gecko and though I was used to picking up crickets or worms with my hands (had to count them for clients at the pet shop) I totally hated the smell!!!

You're not supposed to make me think! lol

Are there any Hedgy forums?
Yes, http://www.hedgehogworld.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,63/
and
http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/
and
http://www.hedgehogwelfare.org/(the best, imo)

Do they smell?
They can, especially when they get poop on them, which they do quite often from their wheel.

What is their poop like?
Their poop is like cat poop, was odd, I was expecting pellets like a rats or something.

Can they use a litter box?
I've heard of some that do,but most don't. Rocky usually goes while she's running, so I have to clean the wheel daily and scoop out the wet YNs.

What types of cat foods are the best?
Anything high quality, most of the natural ones. I feed Solid Gold and Orijen. Other good brands are CSFTCLS, blue buffalo, Wellness, there's more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Oh, and try to use the "light" variety of these foods, or your hedgy can get fat quite easily.

Doesn't it hurt to touch them?
Yes, their quills are sharp. But they will lay them flat for you and not ball up so you can touch them safely. Otherwise just use a thick towel to pick them up with.

Do they do best in pairs?
Generally no.

What kind of toys do they play with, if any?
They like their wheels, toilet paper tubes, jingly cat balls, toy cars, stuff like that.

Is it best to get one from a reputable breeder?
Yes.

How do they "play"?
Mine usually just runs around exploring when I have her out. A lot of hedgehogs don't like the play while your watching, they're weird that way.

What is their most common medical issue?
Mites, hibernation, dry skin, Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome.

What is their lifespan?
6 to 10 years, I think. I better look it up... one site says 4-7 years another says 5 or 6 years. I guess I'm just optimistic.

~Diana

JadeIcing wrote:
undergunfire wrote:
iluvmybuns wrote:

I have a hard time feeding crickets to my gecko.:?

I wouldn't have a problem feeding crickets at all. I HATE crickets, yick. They are soooo gross to me. I would have to feed a Beardie without touching the crickets,oh heaven forbid if one got loose in the house :yuck.

Yuuuuckkk!

Thank you for all the information, Diana :biggrin2:! I think they are an interesting little critter!

I definitely think I will stick with a Beardie in the future, though. They amaze me for some reason.

Latest posts

Back