Heavy Shedding / Molting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proxima centauri

Reaction score
Marvin is mighty shedding.

I was brushing her back and whole chunks of hair came right off. Rightnow, she looks like and inverted mohawk. Like someone took a clipperand did a line on the back.

There is a small layer of new fur, where the other hair came off, and some bare skin.

I guess it's normal, but does it always go that fast and so drastic? She litterally lost all her back fur in like a day.

Poor baby :)

proxi

I have to brush and vacuum Pebblesdaily. And I pluck her hair with my fingers andstill so much is coming off. You can seeall the dents and uneven hair on her. :p

Rainbows! :D

So it's normal then?

I'll take a picture tonight. It's really impressive :)

I pluck her hair too... much easier to do it then than to wait until it all flies in the air...

proxi

Perry moults a lot all at once, then it's over,but Pernod seems to moult on and on. Depending on her mood, she'll letme 'pluck' her, but there is always more to come out. I think I couldstuff a mattress with all the fur that comes off them ;)

Jan

Has anyone tried one of those hair-grabbermits? I got one a Petsmart and it works well. Butnot as well as a good-ol-plucking :)

It's also getting to be that time of year when the seasons change, so that will bring on molting.

Chompers is always shedding up a storm. We have to pluck and brush himall the time. Abby and Valuran are much easier to care for as far astheir coats go, we just have to pet them and take the hair off thatway.

Yes Ihave they work great ,especially on shrter haired rabbits , thelonger haired ones it doesok with but pluckingworks better .

You have a Rex right . Mine startedmolt with tiny pin holes I nearlypanicked until I rememberedsomeone mentioning Rex moltstarts with worm holes Merlynwhe he started it looked asif someone had poked holes all over hisback and the POOF! itall seemed to come off at once , Itdoes look funny and theinverted mohawk is a great discription lol. it kinda looks cute in awarped way .

Comforts me to know I'm not the only one in furexplosion crisis. Man, I have never seen Cookie this badyet. His little mohawk on his head if coming off in chunksbut it's never ending - no bald patches or anything - just more fur!!

:)

lol tell me about it! Freddy is starting to looklike a shaggy lil dog. he has this distinct longer layer of fur andright before it comes out it looks like it is super long! I think thedriving in the past week (I'm back home now) plus the starting changeof weather has put his molt in overtime. To help I usually vaccuum himwith the dust buster and then run a barely damp wash cloth to grabanything else. and of course some extra hay and pumpkin :)

Latest posts

Back