Heating,insulation or indoors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 2 x 7 month flemish giants just in their first winter outside.They live in a 6x6x6ft wooden shed with levels inside.I put a loose hay bale in there so they could pull it off if they want it for extra bedding.
But, their water is freezing up, it's been -4-5 last couple of days and I bottled it and brought them indoors.
Anyone any thoughts on what to put in shed to make it safe for them to stay out there? I really don't want frozen bunnies.

So now they are free roaming indoors is it better to let them sleep where they like or put them in a contained area at night?

many thanks.

I've always kept my indoor rabbits contained for the nighttime. It's peace of mind for me knowing they can't get into any trouble (to them or to my possessions) while we sleep. An ex-pen could create a decent space for nighttime if you choose this option. Here's an example of an ex-pen that can create a decent size area by making use of an existing wall.

Attachments

• sams x pen.jpg
    sams x pen.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thankyou.Good idea.3 am on first night in and they are careering all over the place having woken up.Have had to close the cat flap they have just discovered which I forgot about.LOL!

How cold does it get in the UK? Here, right now, it's -7 to -8°C and the rabbits are perfectly fine outdoors. I put a tarp over one half of their hutches in the night, they don't really need it as long it doesn't get colder. I give them way more hay than they can eat. as bedding,
Even my house rabbits storm out in the morning to nibble some frozen grass. I don't heat much, when it get's above 12,-15°C in my kitchen they leave for the cooler part of the house.

One thing I really enjoy are the electric heating pads under the water crocks in the outdoor hutches, those make life much more easy in winter.

You can see the location on the left, under the Username.

I now have some carpet to insulate the hut and then they can go outside again as your's seem to do OK .As you say a bit of extra bedding and they should be OK.
Thankyou

Latest posts

Back