Heat Stroke

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackthorn45

Reaction score
I just wanted to beg everyone to read the"Cooling A Rabbit' thread and learn about the dangers of heat stroke totheir rabbits, what to do when it happens, and how to preventit. PLEASE look out for your rabbits and other animals!

Today while I was at the shelterwe got a call from someonewhose outdoor rabbits were acting "weird."It was 95degrees today, withlittle wind and incrediblyhumid,and the symptoms matched right up - heatstroke. The caller did not want to listen regarding theseverity of the situation, and to make a long story short, our rescuedriver went outtherebecause the rabbits' lives wereat stake.

Three of the rabbits that were the worst off and in the most dangerwere signed over to us bythe ownerand brought backto the shelter immediately(the others were brought insidewith warnings to watch them carefully).One ofthemwas close to death and I don't think he would have madeit much longer had we not intervened.

I am just thankful that I was there at the shelter today and able toprovide emergency care for these three rabbits when they came in, toget them cooled down and stabilized. It's yet anotherreminder that people need to be careful and make sure their animals aresafe. They depend on us!

Good thing you were there to help out the bunnies.

For people with cats: If you have any light colored or whitecats who go outside, please consider using a little suncreen on theirears, especially the tips. It's easy for them to get skincancer.

today sucked heat wise.

Anyhow for those that have barns with many rabbits in them. Heres asimple way to rig up some sort of irrigation over the building to helpkeep it cooled down.

garagesprinkler.jpg

It works on very hot days. If your building is metal, it'll work evenbetter. Both your rabbits and the neighborhood birds will enjoy.seriously I had a ton of sparrows, robins, and other birds playing init all day long, on the roof and on the ground. Just couldnt get closeenough to get a picture without scaring them off.

I am quite blessed to have them in a nearlyperfect spot for summer--no matter what temp, it's always about 10degrees cooler out there. Total shade in afternoon, partial sun in themorning.

They get ice too but are not always intelligent about using it. Bub isespecially bad--hiding it in his box and then lying on the other sideof the cage, wondering why he's hot!;)

He prefers lying next to his water dish, a big double so he can't tip it over. Not that he doesn't try. Stupid bunny.:p

Rose

dixonsrabbitry wrote:
Good thing you guys got them from there. Heat stroke isnasty to deal with. Poor bunnies.
I hadn't even planned to go to the shelter today. It was afluke. I'm very thankful I was, though, for the bunnies' sake(shelter isn't terribly rabbit-savvy). The little rex mix guywas in bad shape.

I'd really like it if those people surrendered the rest of theirrabbits (four left I think). It's a long,longstory, but we've been dealing with them for a long timeand they really shouldn't have them.

Blackthorn45 wrote:
dixonsrabbitry wrote:
Goodthing you guys got them from there. Heat stroke is nasty to deal with.Poor bunnies.
I hadn't even planned to go to the shelter today. It was afluke. I'm very thankful I was, though, for the bunnies' sake(shelter isn't terribly rabbit-savvy). The little rex mix guywas in bad shape.

I'd really like it if those people surrendered the rest of theirrabbits (four left I think). It's a long,longstory, but we've been dealing with them for a long timeand they really shouldn't have them.

I think you might have mentioned them to me before. Poorbunnies.I bet they didnt give them fresh water today for theheat either. :(

Latest posts

Back