Heat stroke, should I be worried?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleandThumper

Reaction score
Hello! My mini lop Willow is an indoor bunny and I haven't had her long, only (3 months). This is the first time I've owned my own rabbit. And I know summer is approaching soon. It's practically still winter where I am so when I got her heat wasn't the concern until summer. Her cage is in my bedroom on the top level of our house and in summer the top floor gets hotter than the other 2 but bot by much at all. But since Willow is an indoor bun should I be concerned about the heat affecting her? She has more warmth than I do naturally because of her fur and she has two places she can get water from, she has a dish of water and if she runs out while I'm not around she also has an extra large water bottle in her cage as backup. And there's shady areas in her cage so should heat be a problem for her? Can rabbits get heat stroke?

oh, yes. rabbits can get heat strokes (i have lost 2 rabbits to the heat). but as long as your room does not get over 80 degrees. she will be fine.

Fahrenheit, but I think it would need to get higher than 80. Just make sure the room is ventilated...like a fan if there is no AC, and the two sources of water you have is good.

I got both my buns in summer and the weather is still quite warm, especially for rabbits! Their enclosure is just below the aircon, and I also make sure they both have a frozen water bottle to lean against. I have 6 in my freezer and give them 2 at a time, so there's always a cold one for each of them. :)

I live in Nova Scotia so it doesn't get very hot in the summer. Right now it's supposed to be spring weather but we just got a massive snowstorm. They called it white Juan 2.0 hahah so we won't be getting warm weather anytime soon at least not until May

Latest posts

Back