Healt Tilt/Wry Neck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbbun21

Reaction score

My bun (I have posted before) has a pasteurilla inner ear infection. The vet put her on baytril and some other medication for a month. she did relatively well but when he took her off the meds when they ran out, the head tilt was still there. She is not eating as much as she used to be eating, although she can still hop and her head tilt seems a bit better. and she is still eating, just not as much. i take her on wednesday to see the vet again and have her weighed. From what I understood, buns sometimes need to be on meds for months at a time. I'm wondering why he stopped her meds after a month?? should i request tat she be put back on them? she has been off for 3 weeks and there has not been any improvement in those 3 weeks. her eyes are also very runny and the fur around htem is crusted over. I'm wondering what I can do to clean this area and keep her skin around the eyes from getting sore and dry. Also, can I bathe her in water? I saw bunny shampoo at the store but was worried to get her wet while she is sick. also, it seems like her poops ar emore runny. She still drops normal, dry pellets but she also drops some wet, sticker, smellier poops (yes I know about the kind she is supposed to eat but it seems like there are more of this kind than before).

My questions:

1. Should she be on meds again for a longer period of time?
2. Does meclizine help head tilt (I have given before but didn't seem to help...maybe it takes a while??)
3. Anything I can use to clean her eye area?
4. Can I give her a bunny bath?

Tanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Well there's one question I can answer. :)

Regarding bunny baths, generally it's not advised. Most rabbits don't like water and can go into shock if placed in it. If your bunny is dirty you can use a damp clothwith some dawn dish soap. White vinegar is also good for getting stains and smells out. You can give your bunny a dry bath. They should have a product for it at the pet store. What I do forMarshy (one of my bunnies whohas a messy butt) is soakthe dirty area only in white vinegar/waterthen pour cornstarch on it. Let it get pasty and then brush it off. It workswonders.

Edit - And here's a link about runny eyes

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12017&forum_id=10

I'm concerned that the runny/crusty eyes are directly related to the pasturella infection. Ears, eyes, nose, and mouth are all connected and could be a path for infection to spread.

IMO....I think the meds might have been stopped too soon or this may be a chronic condition that will require long term treatment.

I use plain sterile saline solution for flushing and warm compresses to help soothe and break up the crusty stuff.

I'm not big on giving bunnie baths except in the case of really bad poopy-butt.

Excess cecals could be a result of meds or an indication that she may have too much protein in her diet.

Thanks so much everyone! She is going tot he vet tonight and I will ask about more meds. I too think she was taken off the meds too quickly. If I don't feel confident with what the vet says then I will take her to another vet! I will avoid the baths. She actually seems to be doing better these past few days! I have been giving her LOAD SWof fresh veggies and hay and she has been eating heartily thank god! my poor bun bun. i worry about her so. anyway i will let you know how the vet turns out!

:)Maura

Back