Head Tilt?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buster2369

Reaction score

Buster by andria2369, on Flickr

For the past hour or so my Buster has been sitting like this... I am not sure what it could be since Buster has never been sick. Could it be head tilt?

Anyway He is about 2 years old. Neutered. He weighs 3 pounds. Polish Rabbit Mix. He is pooping and eating well. This morning I heard him sneeze once. He has been jumping up on my bed for pets and treats. I looked in his ears and all I see is some wax. I don't really have much money so I don't want to take him to the vet unless absolutely necessary. But I don't want to see him in pain, he is a strong little bunny and has been moving around a lot.

Any advice you can provide would be great! Thank you. Hope every bunny is doing well :bunny19

Very likely possibility that this is head tilt. In order to be treated, it is critical to treat right away and treat with a good antibiotic. Head tilt can be caused either by an ear infection,or Encephalitozoonosis. (E. Cuniculi), or trauma or several other things, the most common of which being ear infections and maybe EC. I'm thinking its a infection with your bun. What clues me in is the sneezing. There's probably pasturella, bordatella or a similar bacteria involved causing infection. I'd get to a savvy bunny vet asap.

Thank you for the advice. He stopped tilting his head as of right now. But I'm going to stay up with him tonight and take him to the emergency doc in the morning, for an ear check. I hate that my vet is closed on Sundays. How can a rabbit get this? He never leaves the house or comes in contact with other animals. Could he catch that bacteria from me?

No, he didn't catch something from you. Generally almost all rabbits have been exposed to or carry Pasturella and/or E. Cuniculi. Just at some point (someone correct me if I'm wrong) when their immune system is lowered or something it can rear its ugly head in the form of tilt. Chances are, just by looking in the ears they'll see nothing. You could try having them do a cytology which may give some sort of result but most likely you'll want ot start a antibiotic. Just looking in the ear you will not be able to see all down in the inner/middle ear where infection is.

Lots of good advice so far. Usually you shouldn't be able to see wax in a healthy rabbit's ear, so there's definitely something going on that a vet should get a look at.

Latest posts

Back